Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2022, 08:16   #1

New Insert Waypoint Feature?

I've been a user for eight or ten years -- more or less 20,000 miles.

There's a new feature in v 5.6.0 which I don't like. When you right click on a route and "Insert Waypoint" it now asks "Waypoints can be renamed to include the new one, the names will be "001", "002" etc. Do you want to rename the waypoints?"

I insert waypoints a lot -- I typically draw rhumb line for a day's travel and then go over it in detail, adding waypoints as required. The new query requires either a mouse action or two keystrokes to answer "No".

I'm currently planning a 3,000 mile circumnav of Newfoundland from Newburyport, so I may insert 300 waypoints. Can I shut this feature off in the config file? -- I looked there but couldn't find it. Thanks,

Jim
Old 08-02-2022, 03:00   #2

Boat: Ovni 385
Re: New Insert Waypoint Feature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintry View Post

There's a new feature in v 5.6.0 which I don't like. When you right click on a route and "Insert Waypoint" it now asks "Waypoints can be renamed to include the new one, the names will be "001", "002" etc. Do you want to rename the waypoints?"

I insert waypoints a lot -- I typically draw rhumb line for a day's travel and then go over it in detail, adding waypoints as required. The new query requires either a mouse action or two keystrokes to answer "No".
Jim
I had not noticed this yet, no sailing season now. But I agree that this is irritating. So I took the question on renaming out and moved it to the Route and Mark Manager. Now you can re-sequence the names of any route whenever you like. Is this what we want? I have put an test version of opencpn.exe on https://www.dropbox.com/s/f2cmgukmut...encpn.exe?dl=0. Get this file and replace the opencpn.exe in the \Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN directory with my version. Sources are in https://github.com/douwefokkema/Open...insertwaypoint.
In case this is a good solution, I will prepare a PR for Dave.

Douwe Fokkema
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 03:43   #3

Boat: Amel Sharki

This is a far better solution. I have just built in your changes into my macOS version and it worked OK as expected. The main developer has no sailing season either perhaps?
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:54   #4

Thanks, that's great. If you want to resequence the waypoints, you have always been able to do it by reversing the route. It asks the same question when you do that and since you don't reverse the route very often, it's not a nuisance.

Jim
Old 08-02-2022, 06:37   #5

Installed it and it seems to be working fine -- thanks again.

Jim
Old 11-02-2022, 17:27   #6

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Many thanks! Has been a problem that needed fixing for quite awhile.
Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:02   #7

Boat: Lagoon 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
This is a far better solution. I have just built in your changes into my macOS version and it worked OK as expected. The main developer has no sailing season either perhaps?
is there some where I can download your compiled version for MacOS? I am using OpenCPN 5.6.1 with Monterey 12.2.
kevinvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:42   #8

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvh View Post
is there some where I can download your compiled version for MacOS? I am using OpenCPN 5.6.1 with Monterey 12.2.
The changes will be soon in the updated official version.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 14:15   #9

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douwe Fokkema View Post
I had not noticed this yet, no sailing season now. But I agree that this is irritating. So I took the question on renaming out and moved it to the Route and Mark Manager. Now you can re-sequence the names of any route whenever you like.
Wow! Impressive response! You acknowledge the problem and not only fixed it right away, but made it better. I create routes for planning purposes, and an extra prompt to answer for every inserted waypoint would have driven me crazy.

I have to thank you because I also use another open-source program where, if a "mere" user had the audacity to question a change that some developer made, they'd be treated dismissively at best, but more likely with hostility, in the forum for that program. Cruisers are just better people!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2022, 15:27   #10

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

With Douwe's permission I added a tip to my 'Terry's Tips' to describe using his solution. It's #13 in this document.

Thanks again Douwe.

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote