Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2014, 18:37   #91

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: New rtlsdr Plugin

Just "first" tried the new replacement rtlsdr dongle $8 Jummax RTL-SDR, FM+DAB, DVB-T USB Stick Set with RTL2832U & R820T with the Zadig driver allready installed.

Getting string of messages staring with something like....
Stopped: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 3.3.2118\plugins\rtlsdr_pi\bin\rtl_fm -f 161975000 -p -18 -s 48k
Stopped: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 3.3.2118\plugins\rtlsdr_pi\bin\aisdecoder -h 127.0.0.1 -p 10110 -a file -c mono -d -f /dev/stdin

and ending with
Stopped: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 3.3.2118\plugins\rtlsdr_pi\bin\rtl_fm -f 161975000 -p -97 -s 48k
Stopped: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 3.3.2118\plugins\rtlsdr_pi\bin\aisdecoder -h 127.0.0.1 -p 10110 -a file -c mono -d -f /dev/stdin
Executed: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 3.3.2118\plugins\rtlsdr_pi\bin\rtl_fm -f 161975000 -p -98 -s 48k
Executed: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 3.3.2118\plugins\rtlsdr_pi\bin\aisdecoder -h 127.0.0.1 -p 10110 -a file -c mono -d -f /dev/stdin

rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 03:30   #92

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Are you in an area with frequent ais traffic? If so, you may try calibrating the dongle as the error calibration is critical. Otherwise you might manually achieve calibration by transmitting on a known vhf frequency and looking at the spectrum with sdrsharp.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 07:56   #93

Previously on this Windows7 Pro machine (with a Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller and Root Hub found under Universal Serial Bus Controllers under Device Manager), I have gone into Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on and off and waited.. then checked Microsoft Net Framework 3.5.1 and all the items below, and rebooted because instructions for SDRsharp say that is required.
----
Shut down
Insert the replacement Jummax DVB-T+DAB+FM dongle.
Remove Logitech wireless mouse USB sender/reciever
Start up.
Using Zadig program reinstalled driver successfully.
Options > List All Devices. Then Pick Bulk-In, Interface 0 (Interface 0) and select Reinstall Driver
Driver: WinUSB(v6.1.7600.16385) --> WinUSB (v6.1.7600.16385)
USB ID: 0BDA 2838 00
WCID?: Has a big red X
Says Driver installed successfully.
Zadig Log file below:
Zadig 2.1.0.658
Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
ini file 'zadig.ini' not found - default parameters will be used
default driver set to 'WinUSB'
0 devices found.
3 devices found.
Using inf name: Bulk-In_Interface_(Interface_0).inf
Successfully extracted driver files.
Installing driver. Please wait...
Driver Installation: SUCCESS
3 devices found.

Checking for Zadig updates...
Checking release channel...
No new release version found.
Now the Eject Icon in taskbar says "Eject RTL2838UHIDIR"
Under Devices and Printers > Devices > RTL2838UHIDIR Icon
Right click and pick Properties > General Tab: Manuf: unavailable Model:RTL2838UHIDIR Categories: Keyboard
Under Hardware Tab with "Bulk-in Interface (Interface 0)" Device Function Summary Manuf: Realtek, Location: Location 0, "Device working properly". There is a "USB Composite Device below that, when highlighted it is for the "Standard USB Host Controller" , "Location 0 (Port_#0004 Hub_#0001" and it is "working properly".
---
Also under Devices and Printers > Devices I found my Galaxy S4 appearing. I deleted that device because it was not connected to USB (uses the same port) and it was possibly connected by Bluetooth, but I did not want any confusion to get this working.
---
Cleared Zadig log and closed it.
Closed Devices and Printers.
---
Then I try HDSR v 2.70
It says there are no RTLSDR devices found.
I have downloaded and placed ExtIO-rtl2832.dll in the directory C:\Program Files (x86)\HDSDR as instructed.
Options F7 > Select input Options has "Hardware not ready!" in grey and cannot be selected.
However I can pick up sounds from the microphone on the computer and see them scrolling by.
----
Try SDRSharp when started with Source: "RTL-SDR/USB" then select "Play" or "Configure" shows a message that
no compatible devices are found". However the software does play *.wav files.
----
I also installed SDR-RADIO-Pro_v2.2b1735 and did searches for Radios, but found nothing. Oddly it only had a selection for RtlSdr -TCP and not for USB. I tried all of the options with the program reporting "Sorry found nothing".
----

Any ideas what the problem is?
I have read about some people deleting the Renesas USB 3.0
Control Panel > System Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers
Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller
Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Root Hub
But I am looth to try that as it will be a pain to get them back, and I don't want to have to do this just to run the damn dongle!
Old 21-09-2014, 12:20   #94

Summary: On my Win7pro Laptop with USB3.0 by Renesas the Zadig drivers for the dongle are installed and "Working properly". However none of the programs work or recognize the dongle. Also when I start Opencpn 3.3.2118 with rtlsdr installed there is a message that rtl_fm is not found, even after adding the path to the bin file in the Environment variable in System > Advanced Sys Setttings

====
Desktop WinXP older machine
Decide to install dongle and zadig drivers on my Desktop WinXP machiine. Installed fine using the WinXP Zadig.exe.

Code:
Windows XP SP3 32 bit
      ini file 'zadig.ini' not found - default parameters will be used
      default driver set to 'WinUSB'
      2 devices found.
      Using inf name: Bulk-In_Interface_(Interface_0).inf
      Successfully extracted driver files.
      Installing driver. Please wait...
      libwdi:info [extract_binaries] successfully extracted driver files       to C:\Documents and Settings\Rick\usb_driver
      libwdi:info [wdi_prepare_driver] successfully created       'C:\Documents and       Settings\Rick\usb_driver\Bulk-In_Interface_(Interface_0).inf'
      libwdi:info [wdi_prepare_driver] No .cat file generated (not       running Vista or later, or missing elevated privileges)
      Driver Installation: SUCCESS
      3 devices found.
      Checking for Zadig updates...

Checking release channel...

No new release version found.
Then installed HDSR with assoc extio...dll and ran it and it recognized the dongle! I was able to view the spectrum and select frequencies etc. The name of the hardware shown was something like RtlSDR 2832 generic.

I tried Opencpn with the rtlsdr plugin. I set the environment path to the rtlsdr bin directory, and it seemed to work, there were no message that rtl_fm.exe could not be found. However the machine crashed with blue screen three times while trying to calibrate it.

It seemed to settle on 20 or -20 for the setting for some reason did not get the message output...

I believe there are indeed no signals even though we are in Boston. So that is also a problem. However I was able to get the dongle recognized by at least one program HDSR so that some progress. I cannot run it on my desktop anymore because of the crashes, I can't loose the machine. However this machine is older with USB2.0 only, and it has Microsoft NET Framework 3.5 SP-1 installed.

I feel like this effort is going to stop pretty soon unless I find some successes. My laptop which has best chance at an AIS heavy signal environment does not have access to the dongle for some reason even though the drivers are installed and working properly. I do not know if it is because of USB3.0 incompatibility (should NOT be) or due to some other problem, but none of the programs see the hardware on the laptop!
Old 21-09-2014, 14:40   #95

Hot Diggity. I should have known this. Found updated Renesas USB 3.0 drivers on Dells support website using the Express Service code. (For this computer USB3_Renesas_W7_A03_Setup-61X2W_ZPE ) Also updated the Chip Intel Management Engine Interface Drive and the Realtek Gigabit Ethernet Drives.

After doing that, and a reboot (not needed with Linux) HDSDR software works, showing Options F7 > Select Input > Generic RTL2832 U Oem without being greyed out saying "Hardware unavailable"

I put the dinky antenna on a small topped can and tried a piece of tin foil mounted on the top of the antenna, but I can't pick up AIS yet. Not close enough to the harbor.

It is by now pretty obvious I don't know the first thing about all these frequencies or how to use the 4 pieces of software related this device.

All I can suggest is if you have USB 3.0, make darn sure you have the most current drivers. Seems pretty simple now, but what a loss of time it has been!

The trouble is you are searching in the dark without knowing what actulaly does work...in order to narrow things down. That takes time.
Old 21-09-2014, 15:25   #96

SDRsharp works and dongle is receiving signals, but not discernible AIS yet. I wonder if I could play an AM or FM station to start with?
--
Opening Opencpn 3.3.2118 with rtlsdr message popup
Failed to open: "
Quote:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Opencpn 3.3.2118\plugins\rtlsdr_pi\bin\rtl_fm -f 1611975000 -p -98 -s 48k"
I have entered this path in the ENV PATH and it made no difference. Is this necessary? Should I delete the path because it is unnecessary?

I have not set up any Options > Connections and do not currently have GPS running. Is GPS signal required?

What connections are required?

How do we transform a USB port (I think it is 0 when using Zadig Bulk in Interface 0 driver) to a COM Port or is that necessary?
Can we use NavMon Virtual Ports? How would that be done?

Sorry about all the questions.
Old 21-09-2014, 15:42   #97

Tried rtldsr_pi in opencpn 3.3.2118 closed plugin (turn of enable and a message comes up that it is "stopped") and then went into SDRsharp and tried to run that and it comes up with a message that "1 compatible device is found but all are busy." Cannot seem to get rtlsdr_pi to release the USB Dongle!!! However it still cannot find rtl_fm.exe command either?

Then with Opencpn still closed went to Task Manager and found rtlsdr_pi.dll still open. Shut it down. Then could delete the rtldsr directory and files (uninstall rtlsdr did not work and I tried deleting by hand but could not because 3 files were being used including rtldsr_pi.dll). Anyway I deleted remains of rtlsdr under plugins and then reinstalled it.

That probably released the USB Dongle Jummax DVBB-T+DAB+FM.
Yes, SDRsharp now works showing the incoming signal.
Old 21-09-2014, 16:12   #98

Here is some software that works with Win7 (after you update your USB3.0 drivers!)

SDR# and Zadig - Helpful installation step by step
Windows Software [rtlsdr.org wiki]
WindowsXP and Win7 users beware there are two different versions of Zadig!
Get the correct one.

HDSDR HDSDR - Screenshots
http://hdsdr.de/RTLSDR_with_HDSDR.pdf Instructions step by step

For controlling / using a receiver directly from HDSDR you need to install the receiver's ExtIO DLL. Find your hardware here HDSDR - Hardware
( I used RTLSDR (DVB-T/DAB with RTL2832) and download the appropriate ExtIO.dll Then put it in the HDSDR main directory.

There is a note that threw me about disabling your USB3.0 ports. With updated drivers USB 3.0 works with this hardware. (Jummax)
Old 21-09-2014, 17:28   #99

This is also a helpful link for installing drivers. (Don't install any software or drivers included with your rtlsdr....this is very counter intuitive, but you are using the hardware for something totally different!!! So don't install the software or drivers or you will soon be uninstalling them!)
Quick Start Guide - rtl-sdr.com
Old 21-09-2014, 18:37   #100

Sean would like to know that GNUradio works under WinXP, Win7 and Win8.
I have not gotten there yet, maybo someone has.
InstallingGR - GNU Radio - gnuradio.org
Ettus Research has precompiled binarys
BinaryPackages - GNU Radio - gnuradio.org
http://code.ettus.com/redmine/ettus/...URadio_Windows
You must install all dependencies below for GNU Radio to work, and they should be installed before running the GNU Radio installer!

If someone would like to compile GnuRadio for us here are some threads.
You now must use MiGW/Mysys as MSVC++ does not work.
WindowsInstall - GNU Radio - gnuradio.org
MingwInstallMain - GNU Radio - gnuradio.org
Here is an earlier build description using MSVC++ 2010
Voltronics: GNU Radio Windows Build Guide
Another MSVC++ compile walkthru
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/d.../msg00284.html

---------------
Receiving Equipment that comes with Windows and Linux software. Does it also send? How do you tune to the backstay? I assume no tuner would be needed.
PERSEUS SDR US DISTRIBUTOR SSB ELECTRONIC USA
FlexRadio Systems
FlexRadio Systems – FLEX-6500
http://ettus.com/
Old 23-09-2014, 17:05   #101

Opencpn 3.3.2118

Run rtlsdr and calibrate without dongle in.
See the No-dongle.doc for messages

Then plugin in dongle.
Then shut down Opencpn
Then open Opencpn
Get this rtlsdr message Failed to opne: C:\Program Files (x86)\Opencpn 3.3.2118\plugins\rtlsdr_pi\bin\rtl_fm -f 161975000 -p -98 -s 48k

The run calibrate and get messages ending in -98 calib
There are no messages here unfortunately.
See Dongle.doc
Attached Files
File Type: doc No-Dongle-Calibration-Messages.doc (19.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: doc Dongle Callibrate.doc (23.5 KB, 114 views)
Old 23-09-2014, 17:17   #102

Log - Settings files

Cannot find rtl_sdr plugin files.....

Quote:
7:57:05 PM: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 3.3.2118\plugins\polar_win32_pi17_v06_ov33604_pi.d ll
7:57:05 PM: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 3.3.2118\plugins\polar_win32_pi17_v06_ov33604_pi.d ll
API Version detected: 107
PlugIn Version detected: 6
7:57:05 PM: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 3.3.2118\plugins\rtlsdr_pi.dll
7:57:05 PM: Error: Execution of command 'C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 3.3.2118\plugins\rtlsdr_pi\bin\ais_rx' failed (error 2: the system cannot find the file specified.)
7:57:05 PM: Error: Execution of command 'C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 3.3.2118\plugins\rtlsdr_pi\bin\rtl_adsb' failed (error 2: the system cannot find the file specified.)
7:57:05 PM: Error: Execution of command 'C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 3.3.2118\plugins\rtlsdr_pi\bin\aplay' failed (error 2: the system cannot find the file specified.)
7:57:05 PM: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 3.3.2118\plugins\rtlsdr_pi.dll
API Version detected: 108
PlugIn Version detected: 12
8:05:20 PM: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 3.3.2118\plugins\vdr_win32_PI18_v03_pi.dll
8:05:20 PM: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 3.3.2118\plugins\vdr_win32_PI18_v03_pi.dll
API Version detected: 106
PlugIn Version detected: 3
I go back to this folder and the files DO NOT EXIST.
rtlsdr_pi\bin\ais_rx' failed
rtlsdr_pi\bin\rtl_adsb' failed
s\rtlsdr_pi\bin\aplay' failed

Also rtlsdr_fm does not appear to execute. However it is in the bin folder and when clicked does seem to execute, but we are getting an error on startup WHY?
Attached Files
File Type: doc Log - Settings.doc (103.3 KB, 67 views)
Old 24-09-2014, 06:54   #103

I've tried to put the questions all in one place.

Rtlsdr_pi

=================
Other programs are seeing the dongle and driver and using it now SDRsharp, HDSDR etc.
Very confident the dongle is working, but not picking up ships AIS yet.
Is there any need to set up Opencpn connections with rtlsdr_pi to get AIS to show up on the charts?
If so, what type of connection is required? --Need some details on how to set the connection up.
---
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 3.3.2118\plugins\rtlsdr_pi\bin\rtl_fm.exe <------ Exists.

Get this rtlsdr message Failed to open:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Opencpn 3.3.2118\plugins\rtlsdr_pi\bin\rtl_fm -f 161975000 -p -98 -s 48k"

Tried with pathname ENV set and without. Do you know why I get this error? Should I ignore it?
----
Also when run Rtlsdr calibration it runs even when dongle is not plugged in. Is their a way to determine if dongle is plugged in and drivers are loaded?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1635996
There are some missing rtlsdr files see the above message.
I go back to this folder and the files do not exist.
rtlsdr_pi\bin\ais_rx' failed
rtlsdr_pi\bin\rtl_adsb' failed
s\rtlsdr_pi\bin\aplay' failed

Weatherfax-pi (as an example)

================================================
Source Soundcard HF Radio or SSB
------------------ --------------- ----------------------
File Open Image file Not applicable Not applicable
Retrieve Internet Image Not applicable Not applicable
File Open Audio file Decodes sound Not applicable
Retrieve Audio Capture Decodes sound* Receives signal **

**You need to connect the Radio signal "output" to the Soundcard "Input" or "Microphone in" with a physical cable.

-------
When there is an rtlsdr (AIS only) dongle involved it is not as clear what connections are needed because the interface is not hardwired but is a USB port. What is required to get the rtlsdr signal into Opencpn AIS for example.
Do I need to set some Options > Connection?
Do I need a USB > Serial Com Virtual port?
(I tried NavmonPC but couldn't get it set up) and then set up Options > Connection?

Old 25-09-2014, 07:43   #104

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
SDRsharp works and dongle is receiving signals, but not discernible AIS yet.
I was able to get AIS data to appear when I connected my VHF antenna to the dongle. The little antenna that came with the dongle just doesn't cut it. It's probably not too expensive to install a dedicated VHF antenna. An 8' whip installed on deck should do the job, as you don't need quite as much range for AIS as you want for your VHF radio.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 13:22   #105

Fabbian, Thanks for the confirmation. I will try to get connected to a VHF antenna on our mast. Have the adapter cable, just have to get to the boat.