Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2021, 05:44   #1

NMEA depth sounder

Anyone know what kind of data is sent from a raymarine depth sounder thu hull, either a fish finder, or a simple 90s depth sounder???

Is it possible to convert this data to NMEA of any flavor?

I really dont want to take out boat to add another thru hull just for depth...

Can OpenCPN display depth on the chart?

I cant seem to remove a man overboard icon i accidentally added. I tried everything I could think of, right/left clicking, delete button, crtl/Fn/shift clicking, menu options....
GreenHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 06:20   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: NMEA depth sounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHeaven View Post
Anyone know what kind of data is sent from a raymarine depth sounder thu hull, either a fish finder, or a simple 90s depth sounder???
None you could directly use.
Quote:
Is it possible to convert this data to NMEA of any flavor?
Yes, the MFD or instrument the sensor is connected to usually does that.
In case of a Raymarine system, if nothing on your network has usable NMEA output, you may still convert SeaTalk to NMEA using a separate device.

Quote:
Can OpenCPN display depth on the chart?
Yes, if the chart contains depths.
The current depth reading from NMEA data stream is shown by the Dashboard plugin.
If your question actually was "Can OpenCPN plot depth info received from NMEA data stream as an overlay on the chart?", no, you will have to wait if anybody ever is interested in finishing/rewriting the survey plugin I prototyped years ago.

Quote:
I cant seem to remove a man overboard icon i accidentally added. I tried everything I could think of, right/left clicking, delete button, crtl/Fn/shift clicking, menu options....
Change the type of the waypoint/icon from MOB to something else, then delete it.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 06:39   #3

In most of the older units, the thru-hull is just a transducer. It does not actually generate the depth reading. That is done by the chart plotter or display head. Most of the transducers are made by Airmar and other than the wire connections will work with several brands of display heads, If there are any part numbers on the transducer try airmar's site for a cross reference list and specs. Raymarine displays used an interface (seatalk) similar to but not directly compatible with NMEA0183. There should be converters to NMEA available.
CSYChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 07:17   #4

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

You can use an Actisense DST-2 to drive a standard transducer such as an Airmar P79 in-hull device. The DST-2 outputs NMEA 0183 messages together with speed and water temperature if you connect it to a paddle wheel log. Using a P79 in-hull transducer avoids another through-hull fitting!
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 15:13   #5

oooh some great answers here...

Quote:
Yes, the MFD or instrument the sensor is connected to usually does that.
In case of a Raymarine system, if nothing on your network has usable NMEA output, you may still convert SeaTalk to NMEA using a separate device.
I am a little new to RayMarine. I have not looked at the back of the depth guage that is installed yet because I assumed it was going to hit the trash can along with just about every item installed behind the helm wheel including the radar, fish finder, st4000, st7000 and a host of analog guages, none of which work.

If I am understanding you, I can expect to find a SEATALK OUTPUT on the back of the dedicated depth guage??
The brightness of this dinosaur is so bad its useless, but I could buy a repacement.. perhaps that would have a seatalk output?

I bought a multiplexer that is all capable, seatalk, nema 0183/2000 to wifi in the hope of getting something out of some piece of raymarine harware, so if the answer is a new depth guage that has seatalk output that wil save me another thru hull.

https://actisense.com/wp-content/upl...-issue-3.0.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
You can use an Actisense DST-2 to drive a standard transducer such as an Airmar P79
That is the solution I hoped existed. I will have to ask them if its likely that one of my two 90s transducers will work with it.

Quote:
Using a P79 in-hull transducer
How can I identfy this, there are no markings on the unit I can see? Are you suggesting I have this transducer? is it a raymarine item? was it common in mid 90s?

ADDED:
Actisense is in the UK which is impossible to receive goods from in the EU right now
so thats a negatory on that idea captain!
Old 14-08-2021, 15:18   #6

Boat: Gemini 3200

My Raymarine devices have two 3-connector plugs for SeaTalk communications. There are two of them so devices can be daisy chained. The devices also have a plug for NMEA 0813 communications.
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 15:37   #7

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
That is the solution I hoped existed. I will have to ask them if its likely that one of my two 90s transducers will work with it.

How can I identfy this, there are no markings on the unit I can see? Are you suggesting I have this transducer? is it a raymarine item? was it common in mid 90s?
Chances are that the transducer came with the depth unit and is a Raymarine proprietary part.

It will possibly be driven by the Actisense since the transducers, other than the frequency they use, are pretty much similar. But many instrument systems that you might install to replace all the stuff you're throwing out will have depth sounders. You may need a new transducer but people in another thread report that you can install a transducer without putting a hole in the boat. Those systems will likely output data in nmea0183 or something similar that can be translated and input to your laptop and accepted by opencpn.

But your real problem seems to me to be getting a depth your device reads onto a chart at the long/lat of your vessel which is what it seems you might be looking for.

Most vessel operators look at the chart to see what the depth should be and look at the depth reading to see if it matches or makes sense.
Old 14-08-2021, 15:51   #8

Boat: Hunter 40.5

A raymarine ict-500 will converr your instruments to nmea-200
Sandy Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2021, 14:08   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Most vessel operators look at the chart to see what the depth should be and look at the depth reading to see if it matches or makes sense.
Well yes, but look at the depth where? on a guage? on another screen?

The prices of Raymarine stuff are eyewatering and 3-4x what other vendors are able to offer the same functionality for.

THe i70 is 630 euro!!!
The ict-500 is 350 euro... thats more than I paid for an wntire gateway, transcoder and wifi for NMEA 2k 0183 and setalk!

Its hard to justify that kind of money just see the depth.
I dont need speed and rudder angle etc.

I am wondering if there is a REASONABLY PRICED replacement analog guage for the sender unit that is bright to act as a stand alone depth guage that can also provide a seatalk output that i can connect to my gateway?

Alternatively, perhaps you can link the thread that discussed a good depth sonar that doesnt require another thru hull?

I am still not quite sure if there is a plug in for displaying data on configurable guages on a tablet screen... perhaps even a second tablet?

Ideally I would have one tablet displaying chartplotter, the other displaying data in one overview screen and detailed sub screens with configurable alrams etc.
That has got to be the cost effective way forward. Yes I know tablets are not so bright in direct subnlight, can overheat and are not good at swimming, but 4 good tablets = one raymarine display unit (not inlcuding additional converters and wiring and a tablet is multifunctional, upgradable and future proof.
Old 15-08-2021, 14:31   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

The prices of Raymarine stuff are eyewatering and 3-4x what other vendors are able to offer the same functionality for.

THe i70 is 630 euro!!!

The ict-500 is 350 euro... thats more than I paid for an wntire gateway, transcoder and wifi for NMEA 2k 0183 and setalk!

I am wondering if there is a REASONABLY PRICED replacement analog guage for the sender unit that is bright to act as a stand alone depth guage that can also provide a seatalk output that i can connect to my gateway?

Alternatively, perhaps you can link the thread that discussed a good depth sonar that doesnt require another thru hull?

I am still not quite sure if there is a plug in for displaying data on configurable guages on a tablet screen... perhaps even a second tablet?

Ideally I would have one tablet displaying chartplotter, the other displaying data in one overview screen and detailed sub screens with configurable alrams etc.

That has got to be the cost effective way forward. Yes I know tablets are not so bright in direct subnlight, can overheat and are not good at swimming, but 4 good tablets = one raymarine display unit (not inlcuding additional converters and wiring and a tablet is multifunctional, upgradable and future proof.
NASA Marine make cheap and good instruments. Just buy the whole depth system.https://www.nasamarine.com/product/c...-depth-system/ Dirt cheap and by all accounts quite good.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2021, 15:10   #11

You are probably going to need another depth sounder, one which DOES output nmea0183, nmea2000, or Seatalk. You can install the display on deck and you can feed the output to OpenCPN dashboard plugin, which is included with OpenCPN and depth is one of the instruments supported as long as the data is available coming in. I see West Marine selling Raymarine unitrs, with transducers, for under $500. The discussion of transducer mounting is here: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ok-253832.html

Yes this will cost you some money but depth information is critical. A permanent on-deck display is essential in my opinion. I have three depth sounders running at all times (two on my Lowrance plotter and one old and reliable Signet which is on deck).

If you have a modern chart plotter it will come with the electronics to determine depth and the modern units are quite good.

I personally do not support doing navigation on tablets or phones, most people are making this choice to save money. To my way of thinking navigation is too important to go cheap.

I have an old Lowrance plotter which outputs NMEA and I feed that into my laptop where OpenCPN runs. This is at the nav station below deck. (there are 4 USB plugs bringing in NMEA data to my laptop). I do my navigation from the nav station, below deck.

I have no navigation display on deck, just sailing instruments (including the Signet depth) however I do have a ruggedized tablet which can receive data via wifi from below deck and I can do most navigation tasks on that device. We use it mostly for racing. We don't depend on it.

Quote:

Both. on a permanent display and on OpenCPN

THe i70 is 630 euro!!!

As I stated, Depth is critical and you need it, in my opinion

Ray Marine i60

Alternatively, perhaps you can link the thread that discussed a good depth sonar that doesnt require another thru hull? https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ok-253832.html

OpenCPN dashboard plug-in comes standard.

This, of course, will be your choice to make. I personally didn't grow up depending on a phone or tablet for all my computing needs, and on the boat I am totally focused on robust solutions. That is why we have a Lowrance plotter which has been absolutely reliable for many years, and for convenience we have a laptop running OpenCPN (and, of course, a myriad of other applications, permanently installed at the nav station. On deck we have standard sailing instruments.

One thing we don't have is a chart plotter or tablet positioned in front of the helm. We're never sitting there to look at it. Further, doing a touch screen navigation on a tablet in a storm just does not seem safe or convenient to me.

When we are at sea and in rough conditions, or trying to set a new course on a wet and shitty night, it's good to have robust navigation equipment, not a breakable tablet, and we are down below in a dry and quiet environment with a keyboard doing our nav work.

Old 15-08-2021, 15:43   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
NASA Marine make cheap and good instruments. Just buy the whole depth system.https://www.nasamarine.com/product/c...-depth-system/ Dirt cheap and by all accounts quite good.
Does it appear to you that this nasamarine unit will output data to another device (via nmea or whatever)?
Old 16-08-2021, 04:13   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Does it appear to you that this nasamarine unit will output data to another device (via nmea or whatever)?

The output from the NASA depth instrument is not in itself very useful. However, the unusual protocol has been reverse engineered and can be converted to NMEA0183 with some simple DIY electronics if you are so inclined. Details are here:
http://wiki.openseamap.org/wiki/De:NASA_Clipper_Range

Why NASA themselves don't sell an add-on for this is beyond me.
duichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 09:47   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by duichan View Post
The output from the NASA depth instrument is not in itself very useful. However, the unusual protocol has been reverse engineered and can be converted to NMEA0183 with some simple DIY electronics if you are so inclined. Details are here:
http://wiki.openseamap.org/wiki/De:NASA_Clipper_Range

Why NASA themselves don't sell an add-on for this is beyond me.
Wow, great information!

Then that's probably a good solution for the op. This cheap set includes the transducer, so he doesn't have to worry about finding a display compatible with his old transducer.

But why does he actually need depth on his network? Who cares iso long as you see depth from the helm? Or you can get the cheap second display if you need it in another location. Lot to be said for freestanding depth which won't go down if there's a problem with the network.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 19:47   #15

Boat: Gemini 3200

When my Raymarine depth instrument failed (most likely the transducer) I was able to buy a Garmin echoMAP 54cv for about twice the cost of a replacement transducer. I got a chart plotter, depth sounder, and new transducer. I was able to install the new transducer inside the hull so no haul out was required. It was a significantly less expensive and more feature-rich solution than just getting a new transducer. The 54cv was a recently discontinued model so it was significantly cheaper than the current model. It has NMEA0183 and NMEA2000 communications. I paid $266.97 for it in 2019.
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, depth sounder, nmea