Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2023, 00:16   #16
Moo

Re: No Rudder angle data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair63 View Post
I've dived in the Autopilot manual and it says that transmission is based on standard NMEA 0183 v2.3, maybe that version could omit the non existing 2nd rudder in the sentence.

I've already checked when plotter is on and I filtered for another sentence RSA (previously I didn't found another different from another COM) also I'd checked for XDR sentence with RUDDER and found nothing.
I'll go double checking in NMEA sentences for any difference, otherwise I'll became crazy why yes when plotter is on and why not when is off?
Post a shot of the sentences with the Furuno on please.

What does it show as source?
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 00:26   #17

Boat: Najad 34

Corsair..

Quote:
I've dived in the Autopilot manual and it says that transmission is based on standard NMEA 0183 v2.3, maybe that version could omit the non existing 2nd rudder in the sentence.
Having checked several N0183 standard versions I've found no support for that. So I suppose it's a bug in the AP program?
If you receive a correct RSA sentence when the plotter is on it may be transmitted from another source than COM7? If so the plotter may be "adapted" to the AP bug and correct it when re-sending the sentence itself?

If this is a common problem OCPN could technically adapt to a false RSA. Everything is possible but should we really code to adapt for a external bug?
Thoughts?
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 03:14   #18

Boat: Jeanneau - Merry Fisher 925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Post a shot of the sentences with the Furuno on please.

What does it show as source?
that's what I have in my mind to search again with plotter on.

AP is connected to plotter (this I don't know) and to computer (this via NMEA) I'll check if plotter connection is via ST

Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave
Corsair63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 03:53   #19

My theory:
When the plotter receives AP data, via ST?, it's sending that to Multiplexor Shipmodul MiniPlex as ST. The Multiplexor creates a valid N0183 RSA via COM5 to OCPN and the rudder instruments are working. In that way overcoming the RSA bug in the AP.
Old 26-02-2023, 04:33   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
My theory:
When the plotter receives AP data, via ST?, it's sending that to Multiplexor Shipmodul MiniPlex as ST. The Multiplexor creates a valid N0183 RSA via COM5 to OCPN and the rudder instruments are working. In that way overcoming the RSA bug in the AP.
more or less what I think is what you say.

Reading plotter instructions there is no ST connection, ?????, so I don't know how the data of the AP is taken by it. because the NMEA 0183 connections are for the computer COM port.

going deeper in instructions RSA is not sent by plotter via 183 so must be sent to multiplexor as N2K, and this one will translate to 183 to the COM5.

I'll double check the wiring and operation of the NMEA string to be sure how is working?
and the first thing after wiring should be OpenCPN in operation without COM6 (AP 183) connection and investigating where come the data from?

the COM port of AP is irrelevant because I've been cleaning old connections and renumbering it until computer had only to COM ports, and correctly seen in operation in computer and software.

I'm also thinking if I have one of the ST connections of AP in spare connect directly to input #1 of Shipmodule that accept ST sentences and it translate automatically to 013 & N2K and also becoming ST the port will accept input/output sentence in ST format.

Old 26-02-2023, 08:14   #21

Yes, if you can connect AP's SeaTalk to Shipmodule that would be a way to overcome the RSA bug in the AP and let Shipmodule produce a valid RSA to OCPN.

Next possible step:
If you use Active route to control the AP you could test if Shipmodule will translate the ECRMB, ECAPB so ST and forward it to the AP in a correct way.
Otherwise try the AP serial NMEA0183 connection for that only and use that connection for output only. Filtered to send only sentences with talker: "EC"
Old 26-02-2023, 17:54   #22

Corsair63,

I'm confused. You state you have the following connections:

COM5: To Raymarine Autopilot
COM6: To Shipmodul Multiplexor

Yet the screen capture shows:

<GREEN>13:03:51 (Serial:COM7) $APRSA,-6.1,A*14<0x0D><0x0A>

From your screen captures, when the Furuno Chartplotter is Off you are getting valid sentences on COM6, yet when the Chartplotter is on you are are getting garbage on COM6.

If you could clarify the connections that you have, what is connected via NMEA 183, what is connected via NMEA 2000, what (if any) is connected via Seatalk, that would be most helpful. Equally as important is whether you have a Rudder Feedback Unit that is providing a rudder angle measurement or whether the Autopilot generates a rudder angle.

As other have stated, the $APRSA sentence does not conform to the current NMEA 183 specification, in which there are fields for both a main/starboard rudder and a port rudder.

The sentences that you have displayed seem remarkably similar to those in this older post, so the logical conclusion is that older Raymarine autopilots use an old NMEA 183 specification that is not supported by the current version of OpenCPN.

A quick perusal of both the Furuno & Shipmodul manuals reveals that the Furuno Chartplotter does not output a NMEA RSA sentence on its NMEA 183 port nor does it generate a PGN 127245 message on the NMEA 2000 network and while the Shipmodul multiplexer does convert a NMEA 2000 PGN 127245 to the equivalent RSA sentence, it uses the TalkerId of $AG, which differs to the TalkerId $AP that is displayed in your logs.

It seems as though the source of the RSA sentence is your Autopilot.

As Hakan has indicated, because your autopilot uses an outdated NMEA RSA sentence format, perhaps the only solution is to connect the Autopilot to the Shipmodul multiplexer via Seatalk, and hopefully it will generate valid RSA sentences from Seatalk.

But there is also something very weird occurring in your data capture when the Autopilot is turned on.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 01:49   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevead View Post
Corsair63,

I'm confused. You state you have the following connections:

COM5: To Raymarine Autopilot
COM6: To Shipmodul Multiplexor

Yet the screen capture shows:

<GREEN>13:03:51 (Serial:COM7) $APRSA,-6.1,A*14<0x0D><0x0A>
at this time it's correct COM5 & COM6.

when I did that readings was COM7, but I did a clean up in the system of obsolete and hidden COM ports and rebuild the existing ones, so now only COM 5 & 6. because I had the boat on shore for two months for lots of maintenances jobs so computer disconnected and connected again and many duplicated COM ports created.

I'm going to the boat to check wiring, connections and operations again and I'll check if I have and spare ST connection.

Old 27-02-2023, 08:45   #24

Thanks to you all,

I've done the procedure that you told me and now displaying the rudder angle.

I attach what I did and results.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rudder_angle.pdf (791.9 KB, 38 views)

Old 27-02-2023, 09:30   #25

Corsair.
Well done.. A lot of wires there are!
For the coming output to the AP:
You may consider filter the output data so no all NMEA018 present into OCPN is transferred out on that port.
For to only output sentences related to a AP make a filter to transmitt only ECxxx
If you don't remember se my picture:
Click "Transmit sentences"

Click the three dots tool.
Click "Add"
Enter EC - OK
Select the new "EC" - OK
Now only ECRMB, ECRMC, ECABP and ECXTE will be sent to the AP when a route is active.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ec.png
Views:	30
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	272156  
Old 27-02-2023, 09:58   #26

Hi Hakan,

This will be the next to do tomorrow, I'll print-out for not loos anything and followed like in Spanish we say: "Tumba-burros" (something like "Donkeys overthrow", in slang something like a manual that is an absolute truth)

Old 28-02-2023, 03:22   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Corsair.
Well done.. A lot of wires there are!
For the coming output to the AP:
You may consider filter the output data so no all NMEA018 present into OCPN is transferred out on that port.
For to only output sentences related to a AP make a filter to transmitt only ECxxx
If you don't remember se my picture:
Click "Transmit sentences"

Click the three dots tool.
Click "Add"
Enter EC - OK
Select the new "EC" - OK
Now only ECRMB, ECRMC, ECABP and ECXTE will be sent to the AP when a route is active.
Hi Hakan,

followed step by step the instructions above.

the only one I cannot find is ECXTE so instead I've used XTE.

now I'll have to check if this acts over the AP.

thanks a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sshot-5.png
Views:	35
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	272196  

Old 28-02-2023, 03:55   #28

Corsair.
The filter needed is "EC" and nothing more as of my picture. Then all, and only those, sentences with Talker="EC" will be sent. Like ECRMB

Your "extended" filter will work but is kind of a recurrence.

The "XTE" may be irrelevant since it could origin from any other source than the "follow a active route" function in OCPN.
Old 28-02-2023, 04:32   #29

Hi Hakan,

corrected and applied only EC, thanks a lot

Tags
rudder