Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2024, 10:28   #76

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: NOAA RNCs ar going away.

I like the idea of working the chart repository into OpenCPN. I'll gladly volunteer my collection, once it's done.

It should be possible to include it as a "catalog" in the Chart Downloader. I plan on organizing them by state, district and region, just as the existing US RNC catalog does.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2024, 11:31   #77

I wonder if we can generalize the RNC collections? NZ has done the same and deprecated their RNCs, but I still see value (while also loving the features of ENCs).

The NZ RNCs used to be available here:http://www.linz.govt.nz/sites/defaul...b/BSB_BASE.zip

The last file (at least that I know about) can be found on the Wayback Machine here: https://web.archive.org/web/20220303...b/BSB_BASE.zip

I have that last file, with last chart updates in the 2018-2020 range (you can see the last update dates on the current paper charts list - which can still be downloaded as TIFFs but not as BSB). Not sure I have a good place to host it, but could find someplace for a short time if we want to try to create a community repository.
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2024, 06:35   #78

Someone sent a PM asking for the Dropbox link to my RNC collection. I managed to fat finger that PM away, please try again.

rslifkin and CaptTom are also working on RNC collections, perhaps they will share as well.

I'm going to state the obvious here. You will be using out dated charts. As time goes by they will only grow more stale. If you don't also use the latest ENCs you may be putting your boat at risk. Yes, I know, rocks don't move, much, unless there is a earthquake. But there's more to it than that. ATONs and dates of surveys for example.

As you evaluate the various collections of cancelled RNCs be sure you have the most recent you can get. Simply using your operating system's date for the file may not be enough. If the collection preserves the BSB file with the KAP file you can verify edition, latest notices mariners correction etc. It's a plain text file, easy to view and read. A big chore for the entire collection. Not too bad for charts you routinely use.
Portage_bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2024, 06:48   #79

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

The collection I've provided the link to should include everything in Portage_bay's collection as well. If anyone finds additional charts that aren't in my collection or newer ones, let me know, I'd be happy to add them and host the updated collection.

My collection isn't neatly organized, it's just a big dump of all of the charts (I had most of them downloaded from the OpenCPN "all RNCs" collection, so no organization by CG District). Both the BSB and KAP file should be present for each chart though.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote