Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2014, 10:16   #46

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: OCPN 3.3 Options pages Layout

I think these two belong in User Interface rather than Charts.

User Interface [tab]
... Enable Touchscreen/Tablet Interface (activates the "touch" feature)
... Enable Responsive Graphics Interface ( What does this do?)
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 10:30   #47

Boat: 29'

Mollymawk, I could live with them
However If I may offer... indeed-everything under the present "Display" tab in O is in fact "Chart Display" and not merely "Display". But maybe "Chart Display" tabs and "Chart Files" tabs could be combined under a single header "Charts" Tab
also, Tides+Currents are not intuitively expected to be found under "Charts". They might have their own Header Tab.

Gilletarom, I do agree in your sense...
...as an example
Consider, a handheld GPS. It turns on and may display my position as a series of numbers, but, inevitably, I must read the manual and look into the menu to get to it's "useful" features.
The deeper you tunnel through pages and tabs, the "harder it gets.Of course, you know this. The argument here seems to be how "deep" certain features will be. My argument would be "Not Too Deep" please!. Perhaps yours is "Deeper !" ?
I would add, the only "Hidden" features in my example gps are factory debug screens.

Petter5, merely a semantic twitch on my part but
Quote:
then you could check the "advanced" option for configuring of all other tings during install.
...how can a new user do this if they have never seen O in action before? Advanced options will be required only with experience of O.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 10:34   #48

User Interface [tab]

.Command Interface Miscellaneous
... Show Status Bar
... Show Toolbar (radio button with Menu Bar so it is one or the other?)
... Show Menu Bar (radio button with Toolbar so it is one or the other?)
... Show Toolbar in Full Screen Mode
... Show Compass/Gps Window

... Enable Transparent Toolbar
... Enable Touchscreen/Tablet Interface ("touch" feature)
... Enable Responsive Graphics Interface ( pinch zoom?)

Units
... Show Lat / Long as [Degrees, Decimal Minutes]
... Show distance as [Nautical Miles]
... Show speed as [Knots]

... Magnetic Var (assumed when no Wmm?)
Also Caesar had some ideas/program for this.

Other Actions
... Show Magnetic Bearings and Headings
... Lock Waypoints (Unless waypoint property dialog is visible)
... Confirm deletion of tracks and routes
... Play Ships Bells
... Chart Zoom Detail Level [slider] <--- Didn't this move?

Suggested...configuration
Old 25-11-2014, 10:36   #49
Marine Service Provider

Well, it was meant that a quick first time install for a new user would use default settings without the requirements to change anything, but you will have the option to do so if required/wanted by clicking the advanced option.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 10:39   #50

Happy Seagull
Quote:
indeed-everything under the present "Display" tab in O is in fact "Chart Display"
..Well almost, there are a couple that belong under UI.
H Seagull
Quote:
also, Tides+Currents are not intuitively expected to be found under "Charts". They might have their own Header Tab.
Agreed
Happy Seagull
Quote:
"Not Too Deep" please!
-A concern of mine too.
Old 25-11-2014, 10:41   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
... Enable Responsive Graphics Interface ( What does this do?)
Setting Options | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Quote:
Enable Responsive graphics interface for Touchscreens. The option is intended for small (~8") tablets with high definition displays. What it does is adjust the various graphic elements such as menus, icons, etc. so that they meet the best-practice size standards for Win8/Android system displays. This makes them "big enough" to facilitate touching, dragging, etc with normal human fingers. You should not see much difference when selecting this option for normal desktop or laptop systems
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 10:48   #52

I would still add a "Full Screen Display" option somewhere in settings. Requiring a F11 keypress is unfriendly to tablets that don't have a keyboard.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 10:58   #53

Charts[tab]

Chart Display
as in Mollyhawk

Advanced Vector Charts as in MollyHawk but renamed by me

Chart Groups as in Mollhawk

Loaded Charts as in Mollyhawk

Advanced Features [sub tab] which
Mollyhawk "Advanced" and "General" Combined
...there is going to be argument here as to what "Advanced" is.But "General" means nothing to me in this context. They all look like advanced features to me....even displaying Depth Units,chart borders...and actually if you change Chart Quilting (which,
I warrant, is expected/desired/and wanted intuitively by a "new" user ) to a box that DISABLES chart quilting, it is an advanced feature as well.

and with its own main tab
TIDES AND CURRENTS [tab]
Old 25-11-2014, 11:08   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
Well, it was meant that a quick first time install for a new user would use default settings without the requirements to change anything, but you will have the option to do so if required/wanted by clicking the advanced option.
But I would not present an option like that on first install.Or any install. If there is concern for the Befuddled New User, why puzzle him/her with options before they have seen the thing go? It is like buying a new car and being asked if you want to pair your bluetooth device before it'll start?
Also, don't forget subsequent installs use the old ini file to maintain previous version settings.
Old 25-11-2014, 11:49   #55
Marine Service Provider

The fact is that O will have to be configured before use anyhow, either during install or later (fresh install) Let the default (fresh) install create initial settings so new users can "see" , but really there are so many different scenarios with maps, sensors settings etc that it will be close to impossible and for sure to complicated to have this configured up front for different hardware, operating systems and sensor alternatives. O is meant for navigation so keep the navigation settings interfaces clean and tidy, with a separate configuration interface it will be clear for all users that navigation interface is for navigation and configuration interface is for configuration. This might be a win win situation ? both interfaces can be kept clan and tidy. A discussion of what function belonging to witch interface will for sure have different opponents and opinion of this might change over time, but I doubt than someone want to go back to a single interface if the "split" interface is made.

This can be done without making things to complicated : give the possibility to start OpenCpn with a config switch " opencpn.exe -config " that gives access to all configuration options in the menu and a normal "opencpn.exe" as today that will start O exactly the same way, but without the advanced config settings available. Also if desired, a separate launcher for "config" mode can be created during install.

This is easy to archive and will give the possibility to use the "opencpn.exe -config" also for daily sailing if you are an advanced user and wants to have all options in the config menu.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 12:08   #56

RhythmDoctor wrote
Quote:
I would still add a "Full Screen Display" option somewhere in settings. Requiring a F11 keypress is unfriendly to tablets that don't have a keyboard.
I am assuming that F11 shortcut still works for Windows Full Screen Display.
Yes, we do want to support Tablets, so what are you asking for, another Keyboard Shortcut or a new Toolbar Icon button that can take you into Full Screen?

Just out of curiosity, can Launcher be used to enter a shortcut command? Then can a user create a Toolbar Icon of that Launcher Command as a dedicated "Launcher" command? --(I'll have to try it.)

I think it would be good to explain how
... "Show Toolbar in Full Screen Mode" works now.
If this is NOT checked Full Screen Mode has NO Toolbar.

I happen to think that we need the Toolbar at all times, even in Full Screen Mode. Therefore I believe we should remove this option
"Show Toolbar in Full Screen Mode" and make certain that the Toolbar always appears in Full or Partial Screen mode.

I believe Tablet users would agree.

In a further step to clarify the "UI > Command Options"
I think we should discuss and consider having a user choice of Command Options, select through a radio button or a dropdown selection:
Show Toolbar
Show Menu Bar
One or the other.

With the "Alt" key [the way it works now] or some other key, exposing the Menu Bar until the next keystroke when the Menu Bar disappears.

It would be helpful to understand how we can make the Tablet interface better, but it would be good to eliminate the "Show Toolbar in Full Screen Mode" option and just make sure that it is shown! IMHO.

Old 25-11-2014, 13:27   #57
Marine Service Provider

Rick...

I think we have decided:

1. Toolbar is always shown.
2. "Show Toolbar in Full Screen Mode" button is gone.

What we need is a way to get into and out of full-screen mode with a tablet, no keyboard.

I propose an item on the canvas right-click menu, shown only when "Tablet mode" is active.

Dave

bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 13:56   #58

Boat: "Mollymawk" 50ft Steel Ketch

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Caesar...

The mock up looks pretty good. It is an improvement.

However....
I don't like the idea of "Vector Charts" page on the top screen. In the real world, vector charts are an advanced concept, and not used nearly as much as raster charts for typical OCPN users. I say this after looking at years of crash dump screen shots....

How about this:

1. Change "Chart Files" to "Chart Options"
2. Move "Vector Charts" to "Chart Options"
3. Rename "Chart Options->Charts" to "Chart Options->Chart Files"

That leaves us with "General" and "Advanced" on the top screen, which is somehow satisfying.

Also, I wonder if there is anything else on the UI screen that should move to Display->Advanced?

How on that?
Dave
Hmm... I can see what you mean, but my idea was to have all chart display options in one tab, rather than split up as they are at the moment, and also to separate them from the chart sources etc which will very rarely be changed.
I felt that general chart options and vector chart options belong in the same general area of the settings. But maybe I am wrong.

Another idea, perhaps vector options can be hidden unless the user has vector charts installed?

But I will play with this some more - I have some ideas based on what you and others have said here.
I will do some more reshuffling and post some more screenshots here when I come up with something worth discussing again.

Caesar
Old 25-11-2014, 14:07   #59

Boat: "Mollymawk" 50ft Steel Ketch

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Caesar...

The mock up looks pretty good. It is an improvement.

However....
I don't like the idea of "Vector Charts" page on the top screen. In the real world, vector charts are an advanced concept, and not used nearly as much as raster charts for typical OCPN users. I say this after looking at years of crash dump screen shots....

How about this:

1. Change "Chart Files" to "Chart Options"
2. Move "Vector Charts" to "Chart Options"
3. Rename "Chart Options->Charts" to "Chart Options->Chart Files"

That leaves us with "General" and "Advanced" on the top screen, which is somehow satisfying.

Also, I wonder if there is anything else on the UI screen that should move to Display->Advanced?

How on that?
Dave
Hmm... I can see what you mean, but my idea was to have all chart display options in one tab, rather than split up as they are at the moment, and also to separate them from the chart sources etc which will very rarely be changed.
I felt that general chart options and vector chart options belong in the same general area of the settings. But maybe I am wrong.

Another idea, perhaps vector options can be hidden unless the user has vector charts installed?

But I will play with this some more - I have some ideas based on what you and others have said here.
I will do some more reshuffling and post some more screenshots here when I come up with something worth discussing again.

Caesar
Old 25-11-2014, 14:43   #60

Bdcat
Quote:
I think we have decided:
1. Toolbar is always shown.
2. "Show Toolbar in Full Screen Mode" button is gone.
What we need is a way to get into and out of full-screen mode with a tablet, no keyboard. I propose an item on the canvas right-click menu, shown only when "Tablet mode" is active.
Ok, Sounds good to me.

Caesar,
This is your Options layout with Bdcat's changes (I believe).
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1685919

I wanted the full picture so I tried to do a full outline. I think his suggestions help with clarity. I hope you will look at them in the full context.

Also, since this is a fast moving thread right now, with lots of good input.
I'd like you to consider the User Interface post
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1685944

but changed as per bdcat comment above. I have not yet digested H.Seagull Tab titles and organization, hope can consider those too.