Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2022, 08:21   #46

Re: OCPN data sharing Focus Group

For eveyone who would like to sync multiple instances of OPCN over the network, I use FreeFileSync and setup folder pairs. I have my master list of waypoints, routes and charts in a sailing documents folder on the network share and sync to corresponding folders on the laptop and desktop. I also sync ProgramData\opencpn\layers and ProgramDarta\opencpn\UserIcons.

Periodically, I cut/paste waypoints from navobj.xml into my master list of waypoints, either on the laptop or desktop.

I have slightly different sets of plugins and settings between the laptop and desktop, so I don't bother syncing opencpn.ini or plugins, etc.

I just run FreeFileSync before and after each cruising season (since I'm either on the boat--laptop, or at home--desktop/laptop/LAN). Also, FreeFileSync can do real-time synchronization, though I don't need this feature.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think developing an elaborate file synchronization is worth the limited developer resources.
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2022, 10:20   #47

It’s almost like distributed cache syncing problem. I’d like to have route changes be broadcasted (or even multicasted) via UDP. All concerned OpenCPN instances listening for it. Also they should periodically broadcast time stamp of latest route and elect most recent version and be able to fetch it from instance with most recent one.
mgrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2022, 10:56   #48
Marine Service Provider

Interested devs may like to participate in a discussion here:

https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/discussions/2762

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2022, 09:19   #49

Boat: Scampi 30-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
For eveyone who would like to sync multiple instances of OPCN over the network, I use FreeFileSync ...

...Unless I'm missing something, I don't think developing an elaborate file synchronization is worth the limited developer resources.

I've been doing the same with "Syncthing". Raspberry Pi, a couple of Android phones, a tablet and a MacBook. Easy-peasy. I must be missing something too because I also wonder what the fuss is about. Unless, of course, "instantaneous" syncing without having to have another program running in the background is desired. In that case, and if this is the best use of limited resources, knock yourself out! *And "thanks", by the way, for doing so.
HeviiSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2022, 02:03   #50

Just posting here in respect of a headless server based OpenCPN rendered via a browser.

We are experimenting with AVNAV it is a revelation. PI4 connected to the instruments and our nav station simply using a browser for the chart display and navigation.

It lacks the richness of OpenCPN without the plugins but the access via just a browser is awesome and multiple device access to the server is a breeze.

I am not sure what the future looks like for OpenCPN but it would be great to see it take this sort of direction with rendering done in a browser.

It's good enough for Google maps/Earth etc.

AVNAV approach could be a very cool direction. You could still use it on a single device if needed, but for more than basic you can use it as a pure server.

We are using it currently in completely headless mode connecting to the boat wifi network and it has the primary feeds from the DY AIT5K and DY NMEA and DY ST1 adaptors.

Maybe a collaboration with Andreas would be a big benefit to the OpenCPN community. Clearly he is a talented coder and deeply understands NMEA and boating-related computing.

Cheers
Spart
sparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2022, 02:11   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrouch View Post
It’s almost like distributed cache syncing problem. I’d like to have route changes be broadcasted (or even multicasted) via UDP. All concerned OpenCPN instances listening for it. Also they should periodically broadcast time stamp of latest route and elect most recent version and be able to fetch it from an instance with most recent one.
I think the answer to this type of issue is to not have to do it! If OpenCPN was a server with clients either local on the same machine in a simple implementation or across the network that simply rendered OpenCPN in a browser there is no synchronization. Every device would see the same navigation. AVNAV attempts this in a very smart way but lacks the functionality of OpenCPN.

I imagine a future where OpenCPN is the server with all the plugin richness and anything that has a modern browser is the client, rendering the charts and navigation and able to control the OpenCPN server.

Client server architecture is the way to go.

Cheers
Spart
Old 24-09-2022, 16:08   #52

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Wow, Spart. I LIKE it.

One of the issues with OpenCPN is that the Nav-computer, which has to be a full computer, should really stay down at the Nav-station. So how to get the info up to the helm, where it's really needed?

I've been using WiFi routers & screen-sharing SW, but it's sub-optimal in several ways. Since EVERY device has a browser built in, this would make the info-sharing (if not the actual data-sharing) easy.

Unfortunately, it would probably require a huge re-write of the display SW, but that's for Dave & the Devs to worry about. SMOP, as my dev-manager used to say...

I also worry about performance issues, as many of my mbTiles are huge, GB huge. This puts a strain on the main computer, but this sort of client/server architecture would limit the strain to that one server box. Clients could be very thin.
Old 25-09-2022, 05:26   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
Wow, Spart. I LIKE it.

One of the issues with OpenCPN is that the Nav-computer, which has to be a full computer, should really stay down at the Nav-station. So how to get the info up to the helm, where it's really needed?

I've been using WiFi routers & screen-sharing SW, but it's sub-optimal in several ways. Since EVERY device has a browser built in, this would make the info-sharing (if not the actual data-sharing) easy.

Unfortunately, it would probably require a huge re-write of the display SW, but that's for Dave & the Devs to worry about. SMOP, as my dev-manager used to say...

I also worry about performance issues, as many of my mbTiles are huge, GB huge. This puts a strain on the main computer, but this sort of client/server architecture would limit the strain to that one server box. Clients could be very thin.

Please see my full post here https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...30931-223.html

With 5 devices all concurrently using the navigation service under testing the RPI4 seems to have no issues serving the required tiles. We are only using o-chart ENC's and have not experimented with other chart types. I think AVNAV reformats them all to GemF anyway. There was a bit of tweaking to do with tunable settings to get this optimal but nothing complicated.

It is not perfect as it lacks the plugin functionality of OpenCPN but an amazing evolution.

Cheers
Spart
Old 29-04-2023, 03:58   #54

Boat: Cross 46 Trimaran 'Migration'

I know this is a defunct thread but hoping you will read this, Dave. Just want to acknowledge you for not going crazy. I would have if I had started this thread and then had to read many of the posts that were so incredibly off-topic. Good on you! And thanks for all your work.

Bruce