Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2019, 17:02   #1

Boat: Richter 42
OCPN Draw 1.6

Hi,
If you are using OCPN 5.x.x and you want to use OCPN Draw then you need to be running version 1.5(beta) or 1.6(release). Version 1.4 is not compatible with OCPN 5.x.x. due to the change to MUI.

OCPN Draw (ODraw or OD) 1.6 is the release version of the plugin and should be used where possible. There are minor changes between 1.5 and 1.6 that may make the ODnavob.xml incompatible.

Now, what is new? Apart from supporting the new version of OCPN 5.x.x.
  • CSV Import
  • Added OD current tool to the OCPN canvas 'Right Click' menu
  • Auto generation of OD plugin
  • Extended the OD API
  • Updated user manual

CSV Import
If you want to create OD objects using a spreadsheet or text editor there is a new format that can be used. This is a basic CSV file and allows the creation of Boundaries, Boundary Points and Text Points. The CSV file is imported via the 'Import gpx...'/'Import csv...' button on the bottom left of the Path & Point manger. The file dialog popup will let you pick either gpx or csv for the file type.

OCPN 'Right Click' menu
Right Mouse click the OCPN canvas window and you will find the OD 'last used tool' as a menu item. This provides another path to enable creating OD objects.

Auto generation of OD plugin
This allows the creation of new versions of the plugin automatically for all supported platforms. When a change is made to OD and a new version is 'tagged' (as git term) installable versions of the plugin will be generated. If you want to use these you will find them in git at https://github.com/jongough/ocpn_draw_pi/releases. This will have 'pkg', 'deb' and 'exe' files available for download and installation. For Linux based systems there is also a ppa that can be used https://launchpad.net/~jonsgough/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

Extended the OD API
The OD API which is used by other plugins, currrently WeatherRouting, Watchdog and Squiddio, has been extended to allow the creation and deletion of OD Boundaries, Boundary Points and Text Points. The API is available in both JSON and Binary. For plugins which have occasional need to create or delete OD objects then JSON messages can be used. For those that need high speed large volume usage, the three above being examples, then the binary interface should be used as it uses much less resources, but is more difficult to use with less error checking.

As part of extending the use of JSON it is now being validated against a JSON Schema using Draft 7 of the schema specification. Due to the use of a schema there is now a definition, at a high level, of the message content within the source code.

For developers there is another plugin, https://github.com/jongough/testplugin_pi, which installs the same as OD and allows you to see what happens when you use both the JSON and Binary API's. It can then be used as a starting point or a source for your interactions with the OD API.

If you wish to use the OD API I would suggest at least letting me know you are using it as I may be able to assist with any issues you may get.

Updated user manual
With this new release the user manual has been updated to reflect these changes. There are now two versions of the manual available (there may be users still using OD 1.4), you will find them here: https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=opencpnpencpn_user_manuallugins:sa fety
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 12:04   #2

Re: OCPN Draw 1.6

When i import a layer it does not show in layers but in paths as individual objects. I have alot of circles that I use and want to keep it as a layer to show or not rather than to put a x in the show pannel on each circle.
Ivanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 14:36   #3

Hi,
Currently this is the way that Import works. Looking at it I could change it so that when you do an import from the layers tab it imports the file as a layer. Looking at the 'Layers' there are a couple of other issues I will fix up.

There is, however, a work around that you can use. If you go to the layers tab, click on 'Temporary Layer' and open the gpx file you want it will create a layer which is not persistent over a restart. Now select the layer and click the 'Export All Visible' button. This will allow you to save the layer. Save it in the 'Layers' directory (you can find this by looking in 'Options/Plugins/OCPN Draw/Preferences/About'). Now when you restart the layer will be imported automatically.

Regards
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanm View Post
When i import a layer it does not show in layers but in paths as individual objects. I have alot of circles that I use and want to keep it as a layer to show or not rather than to put a x in the show pannel on each circle.
Old 21-08-2019, 17:49   #4

Hi,
I have created a new patch 1.6.22 which disables the 'Import' button on the lower left of the Path & Point Manager dialog as trying to do an import and create a permanent file would make the process messy. So you need to use the 'work around' when importing layers, i.e. create a temporary layer then Export Visible Layers to create the permanent layer file in the correct directory.

Delete of a permanent layer from the layer tab will also now delete the permanent file if it is found from the layers directory To me this seemed logical.

There is also a new default setting on the "Options/Plugins/OCPN Draw/General" tab that sets the default for layers when they are created. It may be a bit redundant, but the capability was there but there was no record being kept in the ini file. There now is.

Regards
Jon
Old 22-08-2019, 02:23   #5

Thanks will give it a try
Quote:
Originally Posted by jongough View Post
Hi,
Currently this is the way that Import works. Looking at it I could change it so that when you do an import from the layers tab it imports the file as a layer. Looking at the 'Layers' there are a couple of other issues I will fix up.

There is, however, a work around that you can use. If you go to the layers tab, click on 'Temporary Layer' and open the gpx file you want it will create a layer which is not persistent over a restart. Now select the layer and click the 'Export All Visible' button. This will allow you to save the layer. Save it in the 'Layers' directory (you can find this by looking in 'Options/Plugins/OCPN Draw/Preferences/About'). Now when you restart the layer will be imported automatically.

Regards
Jon
Old 22-08-2019, 06:45   #6

I see when all paths are visable and I go to centre view on one all the others go to not visable with red X
Old 22-08-2019, 15:56   #7

Hi,
Thanks for finding that, it is fixed with patch 1.6.23.

Regards
Jon
Old 22-09-2019, 13:03   #8

Hi,
In the layers tab everytime I restart OpenCpn the layers go from visible to not visible and need to be marked to show again.
Old 22-09-2019, 15:35   #9

That should be fixed in the main properties page on the first tab. There is a checkbox that lets you choose to either hide them or display them. You will need patch 1.6.21 as a minimum.