Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2015, 15:32   #556

Boat: Richter 42
Re: Ocpn-Draw and Boundary

Rick,
I have added a few screen shots to the documentation and a few more words. Perhaps what you have done here for the alarm should also be included to show how it works. I suspect that this will also be needed in the Watchdog documentation as well. Doubling up I know, but....
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:26   #557

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Thanks Jon for your thoughtful explanation.
1. I think I will not be using the Show name in boundary points much, because as you say it will get in the way and we have the roll over feature now which allows settinh fonts. Very nice. Goof point.

I dont mind that my b points and text were lost. Did not know why it happened. But something to do with odnavobj.xml?

I believe I deleted or moved libocpn_draw_pi.so settings earlier and everyrhing was working. I did have some trouble after testing seans rtlsdr_pi and finally had to delete it and all refs on the opencpn,ini.

Glad the yellow is back. There must be a good reason you dont go directly into rubber band mode immediately when move b pt is selected. Is it to allow user to confirm and not loose the point long lat? - in bouncy sea?

You' ve done work on docs! Thankyou. The end of it was all still in flux when I stopped. I hope it is simpler now. I will add to what you've done.

Thanks for thinking about a couple of rules for entries of distances. I have been sloppy and left two periods and I have to enter again. Do we always have to have a 0 in front of period? I've forgotten now.

The plugin has made massive strides and is promising to be a good solid citizon and a good base for other tools. Thankyou for your patience, all yout time and skills!
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:35   #558

Boat: Drascombe Coaster (22ft) "Seanymph"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongough View Post
Rick,
I have added a few screen shots to the documentation and a few more words. Perhaps what you have done here for the alarm should also be included to show how it works. I suspect that this will also be needed in the Watchdog documentation as well. Doubling up I know, but....
Hi Jon (and Rick),

I have made a first attempt to add some text and screenshots to the Watchdog-pi-documentation. As this is my "maiden trip" in trying to make a contribution to the manual, I'm absolutely not sure it is what you have in mind. So please feel free to alter or completely delete my text!

My text is based upon ocpn_draw_pi-0.4.559-ov4.1.1108-win32.exe and watchdog_pi-1.9004-ov4.1.1108-win32.exe. I tried to install Rick's more recent versions of Draw-pi but neither of them shows up in O's plugin-list

Roel
Roel Smidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:32   #559

Roel,
If you look in the opencpn.log file it should tell you why the plugin did not load. The issue at the moment is that there have been some changes to the OCPN PlugIn API but the patch number has not changed. Rick creates install files for windows for matached pairs of the OD plugin and OCPN, so you might want to install these and see if that works for you. This issue will go away once we are out of beta.

I have changed the messages returned from OD regarding boundaries to say what sort of boundaries they are. A co-requisite change should be made in the Watchdog plugin to handle that. Then the Watchdog alarm could be made to go off only when approaching/inside 'exclusion' boundaries. Reading your updates to the Watchdog plugin reminded me of this.

Jon
Old 12-12-2015, 12:56   #560

Roel, Thank you! I will take a look.

From Opencpn Beta File Thingie
opencpn_4.1.1108_GIT-015666b-Mouse-setup
with
ocpn_draw_pi-0.4.565-ov4.1.1108-win32

should work, I would think, but perhaps not, it took awhile to upload I noticed.
I will be redoing it again soon and will notice it here.

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 12-12-2015, 13:11   #561

Wow! Now that's documentation, between the two of you I think you've almost done it! Draw Plugin | Official OpenCPN Homepage
What a relief. I will add the boundary alarm, step by step.
I think I will Boundary Alarms to Ocpn_Draw docs,

Explain Boundary Alarms are created with two plugins sharing information.
Ocpn_Draw for the Boundariy definitions and Watchdog for the Alarming.

Creating Ocpn_Draw Boundaries:
1. Describe setting up Boundary pt inclusive/exclusive.
2. Describe setting up Boundary inclusive/exclusive.
Also referencing and Using the previous documentation.

Setting up the Alarm in WatchDog_pi
1. Step by step. with illlustrations.

Then switch over to Watchdog documentation and create a link to Ocpn_Draw and a summary in Watch_dog of the process. May include some FAQ and hints in this section too.
Old 12-12-2015, 13:47   #562

Hi,
Patch 582 fixes an issue in the JSON message where when a boundary was not found it did not give the correct response. You may not have noticed this if not debugging as the error actually gave the correct results.

I have submitted a patch to the Watchdog plugin that implements boundary type checking. You now have the choice for Distance and Time alarms to set the boundary type that will trigger it. The options are one of:
Any, Exclusion, Inclusion, Neither
Is there any reason why you may want two of the options together? Currently the choice is a radio button, but it 'could' be changed to a check box.

Jon
Old 12-12-2015, 13:49   #563

Rick,
Patch 581 now validates the values you enter into numeric fields. You can now only enter positive (>=0) numbers and they have to make sense, i.e. no double dots or alphas. Hope this helps.

Jon

PS. Patch 582 includes this change. I just missed hitting enter before moving on
Old 12-12-2015, 13:54   #564
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongough View Post
The options are one of:
Any, Exclusion, Inclusion, Neither
Is there any reason why you may want two of the options together? Currently the choice is a radio button, but it 'could' be changed to a check box.

Jon
Exclusion 0|1
Inclusion 0|1
so there are four combinations in total - which you have covered.

Or do I miss something?

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 14:03   #565

Hubert,
I am just wondering what other options people may want. It is possible that Exclusion and Neither zones may need to have an alarm (not sure why, but...). I am just trying to make sure I have all bases covered. I would just create two alarms, one for each type, but that would incur extra overhead of looking multiple times for boundaries. Not a problem on a powerful machine, but would it cause issues on Android or Raspberry Pi, not that I have created versions for those yet.

Jon
Old 12-12-2015, 14:39   #566

Quote:
Patch 581 now validates the values you enter into numeric fields. You can now only enter positive (>=0) numbers and they have to make sense, i.e. no double dots or alphas. Hope this helps.
Jon I have #581 ready to upload. Will git again for #582.
I tested validation and it worked great, with double .. etc, did not test neg
Also the yellow indicator is back and better, it appears earlier.
Looking good.

Quote:
PS. Patch 582 includes this change. I just missed hitting enter before moving on
No problem will git #582
Old 12-12-2015, 14:48   #567

Opencpn Beta File Thingie rguser rgpass

Directories
4.1.1108 PI Win: ocpn_draw_pi-0.4.582-ov4.1.1108-win32
Home: opencpn_4.1.1108_GIT2-d57cd38-Correct-bld-for-wx2.8

Give it a try windows users. Beta but pretty good! and cool!

Jon, its more work, but can you put range controls on DR and other objects. I think its pretty nice what you did?
I know its more work with lots of parameters. If not, thats ok. It can be done later.
Old 12-12-2015, 15:07   #568

Quote:
Exclusion 0|1
Inclusion 0|1
so there are four combinations in total - which you have covered.
Or do I miss something?
Hubert
I am concerned what happens to our Boundary Alarms that are working. I think it might screw up the Alarm signals having both inclusion and exclusion together.

Were you thinking of it for graphic purposes only?
or perhaps using both types you can set two types of alarms?
Inclusion = For your own boat anchor alarm.
Exclusion = For other boats coming into your space.

Shouldn't then be different colors then?

Maybe the user just has to set up two different boundaries.
For example:
Red Boundary Point Inclusive with a ring 1nm for anchor alarm for Own Ship.
Black Boundary Exclusive (a rectangle which can overlap the ring) for excluding Other Ships (using AIS).
Purple Boundary Exclusive polygon with multiple points along shallows at shore for anchor alarm for excluding Own Ship

This might be simpler for something that already involves two plugins. (However, I do believe you could have two alarms with Watchdog using the same GUID, but there would have to be some way to set if the alarm is to use inclusive or exclusive for that Guid. Right now the plugin just knows by reading the object, I believe.
Old 12-12-2015, 23:41   #569

Rick,
I have split out the DR Points to a new tab in the preferences dialog and provided the ability to set the default range ring properties. This is in patch 583.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Opencpn Beta File Thingie rguser rgpass

Directories
4.1.1108 PI Win: ocpn_draw_pi-0.4.582-ov4.1.1108-win32
Home: opencpn_4.1.1108_GIT2-d57cd38-Correct-bld-for-wx2.8

Give it a try windows users. Beta but pretty good! and cool!

Jon, its more work, but can you put range controls on DR and other objects. I think its pretty nice what you did?
I know its more work with lots of parameters. If not, thats ok. It can be done later.
Old 12-12-2015, 23:44   #570

Rick,
Checkout the latest update to the Watchdog plugin for the boundary alarm. You will find that you can now select the type of boundary that will trigger the alarm. So the Watchdog is now making use of the different types of boundary that can be drawn.

Jon