Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2014, 20:29   #76
Marine Service Provider

Re: OCPN for Android Proof of Concept and Teaser....

Sean...

Are you using QtCreator?

I can run OCPN in debug mode in the emulator using QtCreator IDE for breakpoints, expression eval, etc. Its very slow, but can get one past a sticking point. I think it uses gdb on the target, with a pipe or socket for remote control. Of course it is much faster on a real Android tablet.

I have not studied your OCPN/wxQt branch pull request yet, but "real soon now"...

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 00:32   #77

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Dave,

I have not used QtCreator yet. I tried and got confused by the gui as I am not familiar. I assumed using gdb from the commandline would be simpler, maybe not. Instructions for how would be helpful.

I recently pushed commits to my fork of wxWidgets to fix the datetime picker without xlocal, libtiff support, and building sockets, as well as a bunch of other things (including your patches) In either case, you should at least pull the latest wxWidgets master as a lot of my earlier patches got commited a few days ago. I will try to get opengl to working by detecting opengles next.

I am also wondering... how is static linking going to work with the plugins? Many plugins depend on features in wxWidgets not used by the core program, and static linking would have already removed these. Would it make sense to try building without --disable-shared? I have read some confusing reports about sharing libraries between apps for android.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 06:22   #78

So, where do I obtain the apk? May as well download and give it a try. That's what you're suggesting, right?
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 10:01   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
So, where do I obtain the apk? May as well download and give it a try. That's what you're suggesting, right?
No, I am suggesting you build the apk from source. This would help resolve issues in the build system as well.
Old 22-10-2014, 14:12   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
No, I am suggesting you build the apk from source. This would help resolve issues in the build system as well.
The whole enchilada is performed in linux, armhf? I have a choice since both Ubuntu Precise and Debian Wheezy are chrooted on my Xoom. Ubuntu on an external sdcard (file system) and Debian on the internal sdcard as an img. More space available on the external card though.

The instructions are a bit more involved than anything I've worked with before, but hey, it's all the same damned thing as Janice Joplin used to sing.

Right?
Old 22-10-2014, 14:42   #81

Quote:
The whole enchilada is performed in linux, armhf? I have a choice since both Ubuntu Precise and Debian Wheezy are chrooted on my Xoom. Ubuntu on an external sdcard (file system) and Debian on the internal sdcard as an img. More space available on the external card though.

The instructions are a bit more involved than anything I've worked with before, but hey, it's all the same damned thing as Janice Joplin used to sing.

Right?
Road Bump!

Android SDK bundle is not available for android. Preliminary search turned up two possibilities, both android apps available from Google Play.
"Terminal IDE", https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ide&feature=md and "AIDE", https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....ui&feature=md

I need someone to read the application descriptions to tell me if they'd work for this. I'm clueless.
Old 22-10-2014, 18:34   #82

Normally you must cross compile everything under either x86 or x86_64. If you wanted to actually build on the arm device itself, you would have to be using linux, and then from there, good luck finding a prebuilt sdk. Alternately you might be able to build the sdk from source.. but it's probably going to be difficult.
Old 23-10-2014, 10:05   #83

Quote:
Normally you must cross compile everything under either x86 or x86_64. If you wanted to actually build on the arm device itself, you would have to be using linux, and then from there, good luck finding a prebuilt sdk. Alternately you might be able to build the sdk from source.. but it's probably going to be difficult.
I'm downloading and installing Eclipse for armhf which according to the package description "provides the whole Eclipse SDK that contains Eclipse Platform,
Java development tools and Plug-in Development Environment, including source
and both user and programmer documentation."

Is the Eclipse SDK and other elements mentioned above suffiicient?
Old 23-10-2014, 10:38   #84

Quote:
I'm downloading and installing Eclipse for armhf which according to the package description "provides the whole Eclipse SDK that contains Eclipse Platform,
Java development tools and Plug-in Development Environment, including source
and both user and programmer documentation."

Is the Eclipse SDK and other elements mentioned above suffiicient?
Also installing QTCreator
Old 23-10-2014, 14:42   #85

Boat: a sailing boat

I use Eclipse under Windows. Pretty decent kit. Here it comes prepacked with all toys. Sure my projects are tiny so perhaps real people have more real needs and attitudes.

But I cannot test in the attached emulator. I must upload to a real machine to test.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 08:36   #86

Well. It appears as usual I'm operating in uncharted territory. If nothing else, it keeps the brain cells active. I've successfully installed the Eclipse SDK and JDT, Java openjdk 7 armhf and common. Qt Creator 3.7 is installed but I've got an issue with the mkspec file to iron out. Until that's resolved, proceeding to configure a toolchain has to wait. May have to compile a toolchain from source if I can't locate a toolchain already compiled for linux armhf.

If it's at all possible, I'll get it all done and move on to trying to create a working opencpn.apk.
Old 24-10-2014, 12:46   #87

Boat: a sailing boat

This would quick advance you from my list to my love list. Well worth an effort.

I am half blind but if required I can test run, etc.

Thanks and good luck in the challenge.

Your fan,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 15:53   #88

Compiling Qt Creator from source is necessary because the current version in the Ubuntu Precise repository does not work with Qt-5.3.2. Problem. Qt Creator 3.0 won't compile due to cpuid.h which does not include the arm architecture. Patches have been written for a few versions including 2.8.0 to enable compiling for arm. But 2.8.0 trips over an unknown module 'V8'. So, unless someone writes a patch for Qt Creator 3.0 there's no way I know - except with Qt Creator - to do this. I'll see what I may be able to accomplish with Eclipse though, before at least temporarily abandoning the effort.

Sorry I don't have better news.
Old 27-10-2014, 18:08   #89

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I wonder if this actually worked even though it does not appear to have bluetooth and a dedicated GPS, would it be a good one to root with linux and opencpn?
Dual Core 1.2GHz VIA8880 Cortex A9 processor chip, th
Fastest - most advanced Dual-Core VIA8880 Cortex A9 1.2Ghz with Mali-400 4MP GPU
* Gorgeous appearance: 7 inch HD display with 800*480 resolutions; 5-point TFT capacitive touch screen
* Powerful GPU: Mali-400 2D/3D accelerator OPNE GL Graphic System
* Ultra-thin and fashionable design: 10mm thickness, smaller but same 7in screen size, Dual-Cameras (Front and Back)
* The newest, most popular and hottest system: Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean operating system
$84 or >
7 0in Fastest Dual Core Android 4 2 Tablet PC Capacitive HDMI Google Play Store | eBay
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 06:06   #90

Quote:
The wxqt branch of OpenCPN gives a git link that appears to fetch the latest source. https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN.git Is there something I'm missing here?

gcc-linux-arm-gnueabi includes at least some elements of the linaro toolchain.

I've compiled wxWidgets with it as per the instructions and appears to have worked.

Will know soon as I move on to compiling OpenCPN once I know the answer to my first comment.

Tags
concept