Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2014, 13:32   #16

Re: OCPN on nexus7... having a hard time with Linux Deploy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Well, i have successfully installed Ubuntu Trusty 14.04 on my Nexus 7, and compiled OCPN from source, and installed it. It can see my internal GPS, courtesy of TurboGPS. This evening I will copy my NOAA charts and CM93 to the tablet and that one will be set.

I had a lot of hassle restarting Linux after shutting it down. I shut down and started within Linux Deploy. It would say file not found. I used root explorer or es file explorer to navigate to the linux.img file and tada I could then start linux.
There is another user I know of with a Nexus 10 who appeared to have similar issues with permissions. The problem is not with Linux Deploy. If your ROM is 4.4+ there was a change to links that introduced some new restrictions depending on which path is used to access linux.img. Cyanogenmod 11 developers over at XDA fixed the problem for me. [ROM][4.4.4] CyanogenMod 11.0 - Wingray Stin… | Motorola Xoom | XDA Forums CM11 at XDA for the Nexus is here: [ROM] [UNOFFICIAL] [01122014] CyanogenMod 11… | Galaxy Nexus | XDA Forums Probably one for the TAB II, too.

You may want to experiment using different paths in Linux Deploy. /sdcard/linux.img, /mnt/sdcard/linux.img, /storage/emulated/0/linux.img, /storage/emulated/legacy/linux.img They all point to the same file but may affect permissions differently.

I had difficulty accessing the linux file system with FX until the Cyanogenmod developers over at XDA fixed the problem upon my request.

Quote:
Ubuntu Trusty seems to give me the fewest difficulties. Maybe because the libraries are more current, I don't know. Before I found the file manager trick, I several times uninstalled and reinstalled Linux deploy and linux, when it would refuse to start linux. I tried several binaries of OCPN and finally gave up and compiled, and with Trusty that went very smoothly. Git github seems to work pretty good.

Once I have my charts installed I will try again with the old Tab2. Then I will have 2 completely separate redundant chart plotters, in addition to the Linux laptop and the BU-353S4 USB GPS happily running OCPN as well. Things are looking up aboard Mr. Wiggles. Also have my 48v 230ah propulsion bank and 5kw electric motor installed, so I actually got a couple things done.
Thanks for your contribution!
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 15:44   #17

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
There is another user I know of with a Nexus 10 who appeared to have similar issues with permissions. The problem is not with Linux Deploy. If your ROM is 4.4+ there was a change to links that introduced some new restrictions depending on which path is used to access linux.img. Cyanogenmod 11 developers over at XDA fixed the problem for me. [ROM][4.4.4] CyanogenMod 11.0 - Wingray Stin… | Motorola Xoom | XDA Forums CM11 at XDA for the Nexus is here: [ROM] [UNOFFICIAL] [01122014] CyanogenMod 11… | Galaxy Nexus | XDA Forums Probably one for the TAB II, too.

You may want to experiment using different paths in Linux Deploy. /sdcard/linux.img, /mnt/sdcard/linux.img, /storage/emulated/0/linux.img, /storage/emulated/legacy/linux.img They all point to the same file but may affect permissions differently.

I had difficulty accessing the linux file system with FX until the Cyanogenmod developers over at XDA fixed the problem upon my request.

Thanks for your contribution!
Thanks for the ROM links. Since it works and since the permissions issue has a fairly simple workaround, I am going to leave it just stock/rooted for now. If I ever have another reason to consider a custom ROM, I will look into a cyanogen release. I think the cm11 for 4.4 on the N7 is still in nightlies, but a stable version is due out soon. Honestly, the stock kitkat is actually pretty good and a lot of cool stuff is enabled when rooted. Naturally, the Nexus machines come without as much bloat as other brands sold by carriers. I'm really pretty comfortable with the N7 and it is a lot of tablet for the price. I just wish it took a SD card and had a user replaceable battery. And looking back I think I could have done without the gapps package, too.

It would be cool if there was a xp deploy or a w7 deploy for the linuxophobes. Of course the user would have to provide his own os image. And I am sure architecture issues would be a major obstacle to overcome.

I honestly think the time is ripe for a tablet that natively runs ubuntu, or even one of the micro Linux distros like puppy.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:32   #18

Quote:
Thanks for the ROM links. Since it works and since the permissions issue has a fairly simple workaround, I am going to leave it just stock/rooted for now. If I ever have another reason to consider a custom ROM, I will look into a cyanogen release. I think the cm11 for 4.4 on the N7 is still in nightlies, but a stable version is due out soon. Honestly, the stock kitkat is actually pretty good and a lot of cool stuff is enabled when rooted. Naturally, the Nexus machines come without as much bloat as other brands sold by carriers. I'm really pretty comfortable with the N7 and it is a lot of tablet for the price. I just wish it took a SD card and had a user replaceable battery. And looking back I think I could have done without the gapps package, too.

It would be cool if there was a xp deploy or a w7 deploy for the linuxophobes. Of course the user would have to provide his own os image. And I am sure architecture issues would be a major obstacle to overcome.

I honestly think the time is ripe for a tablet that natively runs ubuntu, or even one of the micro Linux distros like puppy.
I've never seen Kit Kat in the stock version, so I don't know what features are enabled once rooted.

In the 'Settings' module do you have a submodule entitled #superuser? If so, tap on the three verticle dots in the upper right corner to enter the Superuser settings. 'Superuser access should be 'Apps only' and Multiuser policy 'All users can request Superuser'. These settings should resolve the issue of permissions.

I believe there has been some success with the Tab II booting into linux natively. Search XDA for information.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:05   #19

Quote:
I've never seen Kit Kat in the stock version, so I don't know what features are enabled once rooted.

In the 'Settings' module do you have a submodule entitled #superuser? If so, tap on the three verticle dots in the upper right corner to enter the Superuser settings. 'Superuser access should be 'Apps only' and Multiuser policy 'All users can request Superuser'. These settings should resolve the issue of permissions.

I believe there has been some success with the Tab II booting into linux natively. Search XDA for information.
I will definitely look into that. My only concern is drivers for the hardware. My Tab 2 is GSM with full phone functionality, and then there is the GPS thing.

Meanwhile, both the Tab2 and the N7 are now running OCPN under Ubuntu Trusty, and getting position input from the on board GPS. Screen response to gestures is a little sluggish but everything works and either one would be a usable chart plotter without any peripherals or Internet signal.

Went for a three-peat. Tried to install Ubuntu on my Note3 phone, and it absolutely refused to even start creating linux.img, no matter what path I tried. Turns out that somehow I have lost root on it. I have a feeling that it will be a big project to fix it. The full backup is gonna be probably 30 or 40 GB so I hope I can back up to, and recover from, my Ubuntu laptop, because I am guessing I will have to unlock and re lock the bootloader. Sigh. Another big project, but I gotta do it. I think is an Odin type device. Bummer. Hopefully I can use Heimdall and not have to fuss with Wine and Odin. I think I will do a recovery mode reboot and see if it is an Odin phone, right after I post this.

Thanks for all the help, Wrong. Mostly you have not been "wrong" at all. Maybe it is time to change your user name to "Right"!

And for my next trick, I think I will install the synaptic ppa manager and installer tool that I like so much in full installs of Ubuntu!

Just wondering if you have ever tried using a partition instead of a file, for the Linux image. Having 96GB of total storage kind of makes me hungry for a bigger Linux system on the Tab2. Even the N7 has lots of space to spare since I have not yet installed a hundred apps on it yet, or hundreds of pics and videos.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:58   #20

Quote:
I will definitely look into that. My only concern is drivers for the hardware. My Tab 2 is GSM with full phone functionality, and then there is the GPS thing.

Meanwhile, both the Tab2 and the N7 are now running OCPN under Ubuntu Trusty, and getting position input from the on board GPS. Screen response to gestures is a little sluggish but everything works and either one would be a usable chart plotter without any peripherals or Internet signal.

Went for a three-peat. Tried to install Ubuntu on my Note3 phone, and it absolutely refused to even start creating linux.img, no matter what path I tried. Turns out that somehow I have lost root on it. I have a feeling that it will be a big project to fix it. The full backup is gonna be probably 30 or 40 GB so I hope I can back up to, and recover from, my Ubuntu laptop, because I am guessing I will have to unlock and re lock the bootloader. Sigh. Another big project, but I gotta do it. I think is an Odin type device. Bummer. Hopefully I can use Heimdall and not have to fuss with Wine and Odin. I think I will do a recovery mode reboot and see if it is an Odin phone, right after I post this.

Thanks for all the help, Wrong. Mostly you have not been "wrong" at all. Maybe it is time to change your user name to "Right"!

And for my next trick, I think I will install the synaptic ppa manager and installer tool that I like so much in full installs of Ubuntu!

Just wondering if you have ever tried using a partition instead of a file, for the Linux image. Having 96GB of total storage kind of makes me hungry for a bigger Linux system on the Tab2. Even the N7 has lots of space to spare since I have not yet installed a hundred apps on it yet, or hundreds of pics and videos.
Thanks for the compliment. There's a story behind the name, sort of an inside joke between me and a couple of hall monitors. Can't say more, except while I see the humour they may not. Probably not.

Regarding permissions and Supersu. When a custom ROM from Cyanogenmod at XDA-Developers is installed, Super Su and the boot partition are included. This is at least true with Kit Kat 4.4. So, provided a phone is successfully unlocked and TWRP recovery installed, all one needs to do is install the ROM. Other custom ROMS may require installing Supersu separately, in which case there will be a Supersu icon among the app icons installed on the device. USERS MUST OPEN SUPERSU BY TAPPING ON THE ICON, SCROLL WAY DOWN AND ENABLE THE 'PRO' VERSION in order to have full permissions.

Yes, I have Ubuntu precise installed as a 'linux.img file' (loop device) on my Xoom's /storage/emulated/0 partition. Debian Wheezy is installed on an external SD card, /mnt/fuse/sdcard1_real. This provides a handy backup in case the Ubuntu installation is rendered useless for some stupid reason, most likely user error...

You only need to partition and format per instructions easily found on the internet. Then, create an empty file with FX and save as 'userinit.sh'. Copy this into the empty file:

#!/system/bin/sh
REALMNT=/mnt/fuse/sdcard1_real
if ! [ -d "$REALMNT" ]; then
mkdir "$REALMNT" || exit 1
fi
mount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 "$REALMNT"
sdcard "$REALMNT" /storage/sdcard1 1023 1023 &

Confirm which mmcblk0p is your external SD card since it may be different, and change accordingly. Save the file and copy to /data/local.

The card should mount automatically on boot. By the way, once mounted an advantage is you can operate on the linux file system without having to use Linux Deploy or a terminal with the command '/data/local/linux/bin/linuxdeploy shell'. You still have to use Linux Deploy to access the linux desktop though. Unless... But why introduce another step that may confuse folks?
Old 12-09-2014, 15:12   #21

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment. There's a story behind the name, sort of an inside joke between me and a couple of hall monitors. Can't say more, except while I see the humour they may not. Probably not.

Regarding permissions and Supersu. When a custom ROM from Cyanogenmod at XDA-Developers is installed, Super Su and the boot partition are included. This is at least true with Kit Kat 4.4. So, provided a phone is successfully unlocked and TWRP recovery installed, all one needs to do is install the ROM. Other custom ROMS may require installing Supersu separately, in which case there will be a Supersu icon among the app icons installed on the device. USERS MUST OPEN SUPERSU BY TAPPING ON THE ICON, SCROLL WAY DOWN AND ENABLE THE 'PRO' VERSION in order to have full permissions.

Yes, I have Ubuntu precise installed as a 'linux.img file' (loop device) on my Xoom's /storage/emulated/0 partition. Debian Wheezy is installed on an external SD card, /mnt/fuse/sdcard1_real. This provides a handy backup in case the Ubuntu installation is rendered useless for some stupid reason, most likely user error...

You only need to partition and format per instructions easily found on the internet. Then, create an empty file with FX and save as 'userinit.sh'. Copy this into the empty file:

#!/system/bin/sh
REALMNT=/mnt/fuse/sdcard1_real
if ! [ -d "$REALMNT" ]; then
mkdir "$REALMNT" || exit 1
fi
mount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 "$REALMNT"
sdcard "$REALMNT" /storage/sdcard1 1023 1023 &

Confirm which mmcblk0p is your external SD card since it may be different, and change accordingly. Save the file and copy to /data/local.

The card should mount automatically on boot. By the way, once mounted an advantage is you can operate on the linux file system without having to use Linux Deploy or a terminal with the command '/data/local/linux/bin/linuxdeploy shell'. You still have to use Linux Deploy to access the linux desktop though. Unless... But why introduce another step that may confuse folks?
Wow, that's just too cool. So you just pop in the card, boot, and Linux is running except without desktop access? "Unless"? Hey you ought to write that up, but in sort of a "Linux on Android without Linux Deploy, for Dummies" style.
Old 12-09-2014, 15:41   #22

Quote:
Wow, that's just too cool. So you just pop in the card, boot, and Linux is running except without desktop access? "Unless"? Hey you ought to write that up, but in sort of a "Linux on Android without Linux Deploy, for Dummies" style.
Not quite so fast. With an android file manager like FX you can access, copy, move, rename and do anything you want with files in the mounted partitions of the linux file system. But, LINUX IS NOT RUNNING. Operations like installing files and programs, updating and upgrading the system with apt, aptitude or dpkg are not doable. You'll need to mount the system with a terminal - '/data/local/linux/bin/linuxdeploy shell' and execute apt and other system commands from the command line.

You can set up Linux Deploy to start on boot though, eliminating one step in the process. All one needs to do then is start bVNC Free.

The 'unless' comment refers to one's ability to mount the linux filesystem, start ssh and the vnc server from a terminal console bypassing any need for Linux Deploy. But, accomplishing the startup with Linux Deploy is simpler for most users. Plus, imagine how lost many if not most people would be if Linux Deploy were not present for the purpose of configuration and installation...
Old 13-09-2014, 13:55   #23

This is as good a place to mention this as any other. In other threads, other posts I have cautioned people against installing versions of OpenCPN more recent than 3.3.1618. This is because a heavy emphasis is now being placed on OpenGL. My experience reveals at least for the Motorola Xoom with a Nvidia graphics chip, that OpenGL does not work when OpenCPN from source is built against the following dependencies:

1) libgl1-mesa-dev
2) libgl1-mesa-glx
3) libglu1-mesa-dev

I get a blank white screen, and I'll be surprised if any arm tablet is going to be different. In order to enable OpenGL on my Xoom (with subtle differences in how charts display, and no huge increase in frames per second) libgl1-mesa-swx11 must be installed. But, it conflicts with the dependencies listed above. Worse yet, switching to non-OpenGL has undesirable consequences the most significant being that my 'ownship' icon no longer displays (the red boat when gps is on).

So, I have reinstalled the required dependencies, removed libgl1-mesa-swx11, used a binary opencpn_3.3.1618-armhf.deb I generated for others and returned to normalcy.

Tags
linux