Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2020, 21:06   #1

oeSENC does not download to Plugins on OpenCPN

I just purchased the Australian Vector charts from OpenCPN and have their email confirming the purchase. I have a MacBook Air with a macOS Catalina operating system version 10.15.2. I tried to download oeSENC plugin, which I was able to download, however the plugin does not show up in Plugins in OpenCPN. I would really appreciate it if someone has a solution to this?
NoelG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 22:06   #2

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan
Re: oeSENC does not download to Plugins on OpenCPN

Any errors in the installation log? From the online instructions

Troubleshoot Problems

If you run into problems with plugins, first check what the opencpn.log file says.

For each plugin you will find lines similar to (Linux example):

08:59:25 CEST: PlugInManager searching for PlugIns in location /usr/lib/opencpn\\
08:59:25 CEST: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: /usr/lib/opencpn/libweather_routing_pi.so\\
08:59:25 CEST: /usr/lib/opencpn/libweather_routing_pi.so\\
API Version detected: 110\\
PlugIn Version detected: 101
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 23:53   #3
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Does the plug-in show up under Options|Plug-ins and is enabled?

If yes, we would need the log file (opencpn.log)

--> User|library|logs|opencpn

In case it is too large for upload, just rename it to opencpn.log.doc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2020-01-11 a las 8.45.50.png
Views:	98
Size:	354.2 KB
ID:	206686  
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:52   #4

Thanks for your replies. Although the download was completed the plugin does not show up under the plug ins.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:54   #5
bcn

Then we need the log file, please.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:42   #6

Please find log file attached. I had to convert it to a PDF as the file was too large to upload.

Open CPN Log File 2020-01-11.pdf
Old 11-01-2020, 07:07   #7
Marine Service Provider

NoelG...

1. Did you run the oeSENC plugin Installer after downloading?
2. I do not understand your system directory structure. Seems that the OpenCPN app is installed to a very unusual location, something like "/private/var/folders/8y/...../OpenCPN.app". Can you shed any light on this?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:34   #8
bcn

I think that OpenCPN is not correctly installed and is running from the install drive.

You need to drag the OpenCPN application into the Application folder and run OpenCPN from there. Then the plug-in will install correctly as well.

Hubert
Old 11-01-2020, 07:47   #9

Boat: Amel Sharki

There is still no installer for OpenCPN at macOS and so people tried to start OpenCPN from the *.dmg file.
It is really time to make an installer now.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 14:39   #10

Hi Dave,
1) I had OpenCPN already installed on my Mac (I think I installed it in about June 2019) so just installed the oeSENC plugin installer. However, when it did not work I tried to install the oeSENC plugin installer a couple more times. Then I tried to reinstall Open CPN. So, it turned out to be a "mish mash" for want of a better term. Although I use a computer most days of the week I am not a particularly tech savvy outside of using the programs.
2) I cannot shed light on the system directory structure. I don't know where this directory structure is found on my Mac.

I am happy to remove OpenCPN and the oeSENC plug in installer and start again if you can guide me on how to do that. Is that an option?
Old 11-01-2020, 15:18   #11

Hi Hubert,

You are probably right that OpenCPN is not correctly installed. However, I don't know where the "install drive" is located as you mentioned. Any guidance in this regard would be appreciated. In regard to dragging the OpenCPN application into the Application folder, I can see that the Applications folder already has an application titled "OpenCPN" and another titled "OpenCPN_5.0.1+0266678.dmg"

When I click on the "OpenCPN" application (in the applications directory) the following message pops up:-
'You can't open the application "OpenCPN" because it may be damaged or incomplete'. However, I do have an OpenCPN icon on the bottom part of my screen together with all the other application icons and when I click it it opens up OpenCPN. So perhaps OpenCPN is installed in 2 places and one installation of OpenCPN is interfering with the other--but I am only speculating?

Happy to try anything to get OpenCPN working.
Old 11-01-2020, 15:23   #12
Marine Service Provider

Noel...

1. Delete any/all OpenCPNs which you see in your Application folder. The shortcut in the task bar, if present, should disappear automatically.

2. Download and install OpenCPN from scratch as described in the user manual (wiki).
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ation:mac_os_x

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 19:42   #13

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response. I deleted all I could find on OpenCPN on my Mac, but the app still seemed to be there. The issues was that I did not see the OpenCPN drive (I don't think that was the exact description, but the icon looked like a hard drive, of which there were three on my desktop) on my desktop, which I deleted. Then I re-downloaded OpenCPN and then downloaded the plugin and set it up in OpenCPN. Then I was able to download the charts. the thing that stumped me a for a little while was not realising that I would be getting an email with a link that I needed to click on in order for the download to complete. The download consisted of a zip file, which I was not sure what to do with, but used a bit of logic and unzipped it and copied and pasted the unzipped files to the charts directory I created in my documents directory and then proceeded to follow the steps to get the charts on OpenCPN (in preferences>options.charts).

So in a nutshell, I have the first of two sets of charts on my Mac and have another set to download. I have not decided yet what I want to do with the second set. Can I leave it and only download it if I need it within the 12 month subscription period, or do I get a certain period of time to download the second set of Australian vector charts?

Anyway, thanks to all those that provided me with assistance to get my OpenCPN charts for Australia up and running.
Old 11-01-2020, 22:53   #14

Boat: Najad 34

NoelG..
You used the long and somewhat complicated way to install the charts. The file download and unzip method is mainly meant for situations where the target PC is not connected to the Internet. Both the smooth normal and that way are described here:
https://manuals.o-charts.org/oesenc_en_US.html
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 23:55   #15
bcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelG View Post
The issues was that I did not see the OpenCPN drive (I don't think that was the exact description, but the icon looked like a hard drive, of which there were three on my desktop) on my desktop, which I deleted.

Noel,

you were running OpenCPN all the time from the installer or better package manger - that "disk" symbol.
What works until you want to add some external plug-in.

Some illustration how this looks like in the macOS Finder....

Hubert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2020-01-12 a las 8.39.51.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	206750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2020-01-12 a las 8.43.17.png
Views:	172
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	206751