Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2018, 20:22   #16

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: One AIS SART message, many MOB waypoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
As infuriationg as it may sound, maybe we need additional documentation?
IE:
Windows: This happens.
Linux: This happens.

Seems rather arbitrary, and considering the significant skills and standards of this group of programmers, that would be unsatisfactory, no doubt.

PS:If there is anything else I can help with, within my limited capactity, I am ready to assist!
Rick...
The last thing we need is additional documentation for stuff that does not exist or is clearly broken, needs fixing and will be fixed before anybody else notices it ever was broken. And if I can beg you something, please, stop posting unrelated stuff everywhere, please, I really do beg.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 03:17   #17

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I'm going to try renaming my opencpn.ini and starting O, then test. If that doesn't work I will make a fersh portable version with minimal plugins and fresh open.ini.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 03:19   #18

Hi Pavel and Rick,

Rick, this s nothing to do with Microsoft, it happens on a Pi too. That's where I originally found it.

Pavel, I fired up OpenCpn this morning and played the test case file. Once I got an MOB alert I stopped the player. MOB waypoints continued to be added at approximately one per second.

My installation is OpenCon 4.8.2 on Windows 10 Professional, all updated to date.

The OpenCpn installation is a plain "consumer" one, no development stuff. Microsoft Visual Studio Express is installed for other stuff but not in use at the time.

Log files and settings are attached.

Can you check that MMSI no 972777001 is entered into Options->Ships->MMSI Properties and ticked as a MOB device?

When it fails you should see the MOB alert inland in Ireland (52 38.6134 N 007 13.3651 W). If you go into Route and Mark Manager->Waypoints you should see several MOB waypoints with timestamps of approx 1 second apart. The only way I can find to stop new ones being added is to exit OpenCpn. On a Pi3 if I leave it OpenCpn will crash in about 30-40 minutes.

If you still can't see it happen let me know what else I can send you to help you see it.

Many thanks,

Aedan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OpenCpn Log file.txt.pdf (29.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf OpenCpn Settings.txt.pdf (34.2 KB, 21 views)
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 04:45   #19

AedanC Win10 1709bild. Openpn 4.8.2 with new opencpn.ini.
My experience follows yours, when the Optins>Ship>MMSI has the MMSI number entered and the MOB/Sart checkbox is checked.

When the mmsi is deleted from this screen, there is a different action. No waypoints are added and there is just an AIS Sart Alert that wants to be acknowledged, but no Sart waypoints are entered.

You can also enter the MMSI and select ignore this MMSI if it is a bother.

I think there are no other pertinent settings that affect a Sart, and I am not sure if adding the MMSI number at Ships>MMSI and checking the Mob/Sart checkbox should result in so many multiple waypoints being created.

I hope this helps.
Old 19-03-2018, 04:46   #20

Aedan...
The part I was missing was indeed the MMSI in the MOB devices list. The part you are missing and that causes what you see is COG information in the NMEA data. The current logic insists on GPS working and both SOG and COG being available. Once it is not the case, the route to the MOB is not created, but the MOB waypoint is. Unfortunately this logic is repeated until the conditions for establishing the route are met, which in turn would require you to start moving.
My opinion is this logic is not correct as even in real world it will cause the same problem you see with either the GPS part of the system down, a boat at anchor and MOB happening with eg. a crew on a dinghy or a ground station etc.
From the many approaches that can resolved this, I have taken the simplest one and removed the conditions, which of course is not a holy grail as it will allow for more false alarms etc.
Old 19-03-2018, 04:51   #21

From reading the Manual Pavel, the SART is not working properly!

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ttons:ais:sart
Old 19-03-2018, 04:53   #22

Quote:
From reading the Manual Pavel, the SART is not working properly!

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ttons:ais:sart
What should I look for exactly on that page?
Old 19-03-2018, 06:45   #23

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...vent_recording

Run ais-sart-firebird-real and it works properly. When there is an alert a single mob waypoint is entered and an automatic route is made to the Mob.

Apparently this runs correctly because, as you state, there is a gps cog & sog signal so it works properly. When there is not a cog/sog it does not work correctly
A lot of effort has been put into this so it works right, but perhaps there should be an If not Gps signal then do this. Put out a message and then just show the Mob without trying to make a route to it .... rather than disabling the requirement for cog and sog which presumably was needed?
Old 19-03-2018, 06:57   #24

Why was there a requirement for cog/sog gps originally? What will happen if you take that test/condition out when:
1. There is a gps signal?
2. There is not a gps signal?
Will the result be the same as the working example in case 1?
No route made and better behavior in case 2?
Old 19-03-2018, 15:52   #25

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the work on this. Sorry for being silent, I've been travelling for work today. The modifications sound good and I look forward to testing them as soon as an exe is available.

I've never gone earlier than beta releases, is there a place where new builds are available unofficially so I can test this?

Thanks again to everyone.

Aedan
Old 19-03-2018, 17:38   #26

Aedan...
The very latest OpenCPN build from the master branch code can always be obtained from https://ci.appveyor.com/project/bdbc...uild/artifacts - All we know about it is that it built fine, but nobody has tried if it actually works or not. Use with caution and only if there actually is reason for it...

Pavel
Old 19-03-2018, 19:28   #27

Pavel, very good point, I don't need to have a compile setup of the head! I will definitely try it in the morning with the VDR file. Thankyou. --Your tool is proving to be verrry handy!

Downloaded and installed. Now of course I have to compile a new version of VDR with the newest openpn.lib. I think I will use VDRserver instead! https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...rver_for_tests
Old 19-03-2018, 20:21   #28

OK, the file is working properly. The MO/Sart Waypoint is not entered until he MMSI number is entered into Ships>MMSI as a Mov/Sart checkbox. At this point there are 3 waypoints and 3 successive routes to MOB entered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sart-Mob-MMSI.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	166702  
Old 20-03-2018, 04:27   #29

I guees someone should check Adenc's file which has no gps sentences to see what happens.
Old 20-03-2018, 14:30   #30

Quote:
I guees someone should check Adenc's file which has no gps sentences to see what happens.
Just for clarification, my test case does have lots of gps sentences. What it doesn't have is SOG and COG information in some of those sentences since the GPS was stopped at the time.

Tags
ais, mob