Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2016, 10:58   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Re: open cpn

Sorry for Butting in (not too sure how to start a new thread...) Open CPN crashes and then a pop up appears telling me to describe the events and it will forward them on. I've done this about 3 times now and just wanted to know if any of the developers have read or indeed even received them?

Basically my Acer Aspire running Win 10 shows large grey areas across the zoomed out chart from the Equator to about 40deg North, one of these squares is across The Gulf of Mexico and surrounding areas and the other is in the Pacific. However my chart outlines show that there are NOAA raster, vector and CM93 charts there.
On zooming into a grey area, it goes black, yet the chart outlines still appear. Zooming further causes a crash and the above mentioned pop-up. I'm on the latest openCPN version. Any advice gratefully received! Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 11:47   #17

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post
Sorry for Butting in (not too sure how to start a new thread...) Open CPN crashes and then a pop up appears telling me to describe the events and it will forward them on. I've done this about 3 times now and just wanted to know if any of the developers have read or indeed even received them?

Basically my Acer Aspire running Win 10 shows large grey areas across the zoomed out chart from the Equator to about 40deg North, one of these squares is across The Gulf of Mexico and surrounding areas and the other is in the Pacific. However my chart outlines show that there are NOAA raster, vector and CM93 charts there.
On zooming into a grey area, it goes black, yet the chart outlines still appear. Zooming further causes a crash and the above mentioned pop-up. I'm on the latest openCPN version. Any advice gratefully received! Tony
What version of OpenCPN are you running?

What happens if you go into options->Display->Advanced and turn off Graphics Use Accelerated Graphics (OpenGL) ?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 12:03   #18
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

When the screen turns black and you see the activity indicator (blue whirl) this means that the system is occupied to create the charts to present.
Can happen for example when touching the first time raster charts. Or with chunks of vector charts when building the internal format for ENCs on a first visit.

The system should not crash though...
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 12:54   #19

transmitterdan - thanks! Its version 4.4 - but this happened in the earlier one anyway. I never had Accelearated Graphics on but I just turned it on - still the same problem so I turned it off again - and the program crashed!

bcn - thanks. No its not the screen turning black because its busy. Its there all the time and I can use areas outside the grey (then black!) area quite happily.
Old 20-08-2016, 13:45   #20

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Have you done a full rebuild of your chart database. When upgrading that is always the first thing I do. Then see if it works zooming in and back out, being patient. If it still hangs Close o and try it all again. Then the next thing I will do is start with a fresh ipencpn.ini by rename of the ini file to old and just restart. You will need to testablish your settings.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 17:24   #21
Marine Service Provider

Tony...

Theoretically, Released versions of OpenCPN do not request crash report forwarding...theoretically.

I have received no Crash Reports recently, and none on OCPN Version 4.4.0

On the other hand, if you are getting a crash report dialog, it is possible for you to save (export) the report locally, and then forward it directly to me via email.

Failing that, can you post a screen shot or two showing the steps leading up to a crash?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 11:47   #22

rgleason - thanks - tried all that - still no luck and still crashing!

bdbcat - Hi Dave - thanks - I wonder where the reports got to?? Hey ho - I'll open up, crash it again and send you an email with the exported info. Tony
Old 21-08-2016, 18:28   #23
Marine Service Provider

OK, I'll watch for it.

Dave
Old 22-08-2016, 08:47   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
OK, I'll watch for it.

Dave
\
Sent it by pm as not sure which email to use! Not sure if it went through?
Old 22-08-2016, 10:59   #25
Marine Service Provider

bvimatelot....

Please send the entire (large) file to

opencpn@bigdumboat.com

Thanks
Dave

Tags
open cpn