Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 02:46   #1

open cpn and google plug in

I have downloaded and installed the Google plugin after some problems with my computer - which has been repaired
I created a chart with no problems but then deleted it in order to get an improved image and to change the folder for storage - deleting the original folder also
I want to store the charts made in C;\Marinas\ name of marina {eg Rebak}
Each time I try to Create a chart the message "invalid file name" appears
I would be grateful for any assistance
Brian
bgrimwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:42   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: open cpn and google plug in

Brian...
Perhaps try to ask where GE2KAP is discussed (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-43680-53.html), this has nothing to do with the Google Earth plugin.
Knowing nothing about the subject and just looking at your post, if your path really is "C;\Marinas\" and not "C:\Marinas\", the problem is obvious - replace the semicolon with colon.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 16:00   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Brian...
Perhaps try to ask where GE2KAP is discussed (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-43680-53.html), this has nothing to do with the Google Earth plugin.
Knowing nothing about the subject and just looking at your post, if your path really is "C;\Marinas\" and not "C:\Marinas\", the problem is obvious - replace the semicolon with colon.

Pavel
I will go elsewhere in the forum - thanks for the clarification - the semi colon was a typo - sorry
Brian
Old 04-06-2013, 16:13   #4

I have checked the GE2KAP/BSB thread and it seems to be a different problem than mine and I do not want to muddle the threads.
My question therefore remains as

I have downloaded and installed the Google plugin after some problems with my computer - which has been repaired
I created a chart with no problems but then deleted it in order to get an improved image and to change the folder for storage - deleting the original folder also
I want to store the charts made in C:\Marinas\ name of marina {eg Rebak}
Each time I try to Create a chart the message "invalid file name" appears
I would be grateful for any assistance
Brian
Old 04-06-2013, 17:35   #5

Brian...
Google Earth plugin creates no charts. I know because I'm it's author... It is GE2KAP what creates the charts - different thing, with all the stuff related to it discussed in the thread I linked in the previous post.

Pavel
Old 26-01-2014, 16:16   #6

Boat: Antares 44 catamaran

Quote:
Brian...
Google Earth plugin creates no charts. I know because I'm it's author... It is GE2KAP what creates the charts - different thing, with all the stuff related to it discussed in the thread I linked in the previous post.

Pavel

Panel,

What is the current version of the google earth plugin. The instructions document speaks of a version 0.7 but when I download it from the openCPN website all I get is version 0.1. How can I get the latest version?

Thanks, Ricky
RickyEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 16:32   #7

Ricky...
The latest version I consider stable is always the one at PlugIns | Official OpenCPN Homepage
It is currently version 0.10 and as 10 is more than 7, I recommend you upgrade to it.

Pavel
Old 28-01-2014, 06:53   #8

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Ricky...
The latest version I consider stable is always the one at PlugIns | Official OpenCPN Homepage
It is currently version 0.10 and as 10 is more than 7, I recommend you upgrade to it.

Pavel
The confusion arises because .10 is less than .7. Should have been .07.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 07:17   #9

Fabbian...
If 0.10 was a number (then we mathematicians would sure write it as 0.1, don't you think?), you sure would be right. But as it's a version in the usual format MAJOR.MINOR, 0=0 & 10 >7

Pavel
Old 31-01-2014, 10:21   #10

Not necessarily. If you want to indicate the level of precision you would still write 0.10 rather than 0.1. And what if the version number had been 0.11? With version numbers you inject needless confusion by omitting leading zeroes. That's why RickyEM posted about not being able to find anything newer than 0.1 when the documentation referred to 0.7. Had it been numbered 0.07 there would have been no confusion and you wouldn't have had to answer Ricky's question.

Fabbian
Old 31-01-2014, 10:23   #11

Fabbian...
You are welcome to number your software anyway you want, I will just keep numbering mine the same way everybody else does.
But thanks for the explanation that what millions of software developers do for decades actually sucks.

Pavel
Old 31-01-2014, 10:35   #12

I'm not trying to be contentious, just pointing out the source of the confusion.

Fabbian
Old 31-01-2014, 10:50   #13
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Fabbian...
You are welcome to number your software anyway you want, I will just keep numbering mine the same way everybody else does.
But thanks for the explanation that what millions of software developers do for decades actually sucks.

Pavel
I hate to tell you but not everybody does it that way. IBM, for example, does something like V7R1M0. It always sorts correctly, no matter if on a real operating system, or in Windoze explorer which tries to decide how to sort based on type of characters (which has always annoyed the total CRAP out of me). Explorer may sort alphabetically, or it may decide to treat a portion or portions as numerics. They wouldn't have to do this if they would just use leading zeros.

So I understand the comments by fgd3. Only difference is I have been around long enough to know that it has been customary for decades in some circles to do it in a confusing manner. Not confusing to them, just to any outsider coming in. So, I deal with it.

I'm not saying this to really disagree with you, just to point out that the reaction from fgd3 is not really that strange... Not EVERYBODY does it that way.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 14:03   #14

Dan, I'm guessing in V7R1M0 that V is for version, R is for revision. What does M represent?

Fabbian

Tags
google, plug