Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2020, 17:26   #1

Boat: Swarbrick 40
OPEN CPN New Samsung Tab S6 Lite. Oz Chart Q

Hello
I have received a new Samsung Tab S6 for Xmass.
I want to load Open CPN and set it up with Australian charts.
I have had a version of Open cpn on my laptop for the last 5 or 6 years but its really had very little use as I rely mainly on my chart plotter.
So I want to start fresh with this new Tablet and when I googled the charts to download, I am directed to what appears to be an Open cpn site that wants to charge me about 35 Euros for the Australian charts.
I don't mind paying for them but as they were previously available for free, I thought I should just check to make shore that this new system is legit and that is the way that most are now getting there charts for Open Cpn.
Thanks.
Regards Jeff
Old 22-12-2020, 18:13   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: OPEN CPN New Samsung Tab S6 Lite. Oz Chart Q

First, be sure you have the official (paid) version of OpenCPN for Android (by Dave Register).

Assuming the above, if the chart purchase is via Open Charts (for OpenCPN), they are definitely "above board" (i. e., reliable).

I have their west coast Canada oesenc (vector) charts. I prefer Canada Raster charts (which cost MANY times the cost of the open charts), but the o-charts are good.
sv_pelagia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 18:18   #3

I have just downloaded the OpenCPN for androids through Google play.
It was last updated on the 3rd Nov 2015.
Should I have got a more recent version? I have checked for updates but there seems to be none available.
Old 22-12-2020, 18:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
First, be sure you have the official (paid) version of OpenCPN for Android (by Dave Register).

Assuming the above, if the chart purchase is via Open Charts (for OpenCPN), they are definitely "above board" (i. e., reliable).

I have their west coast Canada oesenc (vector) charts. I prefer Canada Raster charts (which cost MANY times the cost of the open charts), but the o-charts are good.
Thank for the quick reply.
I downloaded the free app? I guess its the wrong one?
I thought Open Cpn was free? Do you need to pay for it because its written for the android?
Old 22-12-2020, 18:24   #5

The chart downloads are from O-charts? I assume thats short for Open charts?
Old 22-12-2020, 18:29   #6

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
I have just downloaded the OpenCPN for androids through Google play.
It was last updated on the 3rd Nov 2015.
Should I have got a more recent version? I have checked for updates but there seems to be none available.
What you have downloaded is not provided or supported by the OpenCPN project. It is a 5 years old beta version of OpenCPN for Android that someone has "repackaged", uploaded to Google Play and never touched since.
There is no way to use it with the AUS charts from o-charts.org, so probably of little use for you, even if you are lucky and what you have downloaded somehow works on your device.
FWIW, legal Australian charts were never available for free.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 18:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
What you have downloaded is not provided or supported by the OpenCPN project. It is a 5 years old beta version of OpenCPN for Android that someone has "repackaged", uploaded to Google Play and never touched since.
There is no way to use it with the AUS charts from o-charts.org, so probably of little use for you, even if you are lucky and what you have downloaded somehow works on your device.
FWIW, legal Australian charts were never available for free.
Thanks.
I am happy to pay for the charts, I wanted to know why I need to download a paid for version of OpenCpn when its basically meant to be free?
Again, Its not about the money. I just didn't think it was for sale. Or have things changed?
Old 22-12-2020, 18:55   #8

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
Thanks.
I am happy to pay for the charts, I wanted to know why I need to download a paid for version of OpenCpn when its basically meant to be free?
Again, Its not about the money. I just didn't think it was for sale. Or have things changed?
OpenCPN for Android is developed and supported by Dave Register, the founder and lead developer of the OpenCPN project. As it requires pretty enormous amount of extra effort from him, it is not available for free but for a, in my personal opinion, reasonable fee making it possible for him to provide the updates and support. I think if he basically meant it to be free, he would not charge that fee.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 18:59   #9
Marine Service Provider

Hoohaa....

OpenCPN was never "basically meant to be free", whatever that means.
OpenCPN is licensed as an Open Source program, under a GNU GPL license.
The GPL license affords the user and developer many rights and obligations. However, this license does not stipulate the cost, if any, of the distribution to end users.

As you probably know, OpenCPN is actually available as a free download for many platforms, including Windows, linux, MacOS, and rPi.
It is also available for many Android devices from the Google Playstore, for a nominal charge. This charge helps to defray administrative costs associated with the Playstore, as well as incremental updates and a dedicated support Forum.
I hope this clarifies the situation.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 19:10   #10

Thanks for sorting that out for me. I guess I am just a bit suspicious when I see someone charging for something that I thought was put together by volunteers ect.
But thanks again I was not aware that Dave Register was the main man so to speak. I can fully understand the work that he and many others put in.
I will download the real ma-coy Just as soon as I figure out how to link my Paypal to this new device.
Regards

Tags
open cpn