Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2023, 14:38   #46
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Open CPN on Apple iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
It is nice to see that even some "marine" products can use up to date stuff, but AFAICT there really is nothing special about that unit, it is the same GPS module as the $16 one linked above (Navilock M8) or something very similar - specs are identical, just 10 times more expensive.
To get full USB/Bluetooth/Wi-Fi/NMEA2000 connectivity using stock parts, we will have to add $3 for an ESP32 with CAN bus transceiver, $3 for a M12 connector and a few bucks worth of something to make it waterproof, if necessary. The rest is time, skill and gained experience, all highly individual metrics hard to valuate.
You got to be joking! What you linked before is a toy. It says: Application: electric toy.

It does not do Glonass nor Galileo, no mention of number of channels so my guess is 12 channels for GPS only instead of 72 channels with 3 simultaneous constellations. There is no NMEA2000, no Bluetooth, not even NMEA0183.

A $3 ESP32 with a $3 M12 connector does not get you a NMEA2000 interface either. You get a CAN interface, with zero isolation.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 14:58   #47

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You got to be joking! What you linked before is a toy. It says: Application: electric toy.

It does not do Glonass nor Galileo, no mention of number of channels so my guess is 12 channels for GPS only instead of 72 channels with 3 simultaneous constellations. There is no NMEA2000, no Bluetooth, not even NMEA0183.

A $3 ESP32 with a $3 M12 connector does not get you a NMEA2000 interface either. You get a CAN interface, with zero isolation.
Are you sure you really know what you are talking about?

The datasheet for that "toy" you can read at https://www.navilock.com/produkt/627...kmale.html?f=s
The datasheet for the older M8 module that is with very high probablity in the product you linked yourself is https://www.navilock.com/produkt/625...le.html?g=1365
NMEA2000 is CAN (namely J1939 with modified cabling), ESP32 contains a CAN bus controller, all you need is an optically or galvanically isolated transceiver, for example https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...220003292065_1

I suggest you open your "marine" GPS unit and look inside, highly doubt you will find something else I did in all I did open myself...
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 18:56   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Are you sure you really know what you are talking about?

The datasheet for that "toy" you can read at https://www.navilock.com/produkt/627...kmale.html?f=s
The datasheet for the older M8 module that is with very high probablity in the product you linked yourself is https://www.navilock.com/produkt/625...le.html?g=1365
NMEA2000 is CAN (namely J1939 with modified cabling), ESP32 contains a CAN bus controller, all you need is an optically or galvanically isolated transceiver, for example https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...220003292065_1

I suggest you open your "marine" GPS unit and look inside, highly doubt you will find something else I did in all I did open myself...
No, you posted different links inpost #24 of this thread. From that link you posted, here is the specifications; it says gps and compass, toy grade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	275FC752-4755-4BE9-95E6-17FDB10CA66A.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	271892  

Old 22-02-2023, 22:24   #49

Quote:
No, you posted different links inpost #24 of this thread. From that link you posted, here is the specifications; it says gps and compass, toy grade.
It specifies the M8N GPS module in 4 places even on your very screenshot... But now that you explained me it is a different M8N and the unit on my table actually is doing something completely different than it does, you finally win and I stand corrected. Congratulations.
Old 23-02-2023, 07:10   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It specifies the M8N GPS module in 4 places even on your very screenshot... But now that you explained me it is a different M8N and the unit on my table actually is doing something completely different than it does, you finally win and I stand corrected. Congratulations.
Maybe take more care with posting links so that you get it right the first time. You could have said you should have posted a link for the chipset instead of the product instead of digging your hole deeper.

Also, I have designed and built a lot of electronics. You simply can’t match the product I linked with the modules you linked. Not even when you throw in more supporting chips like the transceiver with galvanic isolation (that you skipped at first). I know you dispute that so why not go ahead and prove your point and build that GNSS sensor that does all three constellations simultaneously with 72 channels, NMEA2000 and Bluetooth interface, satellite based augmentation (WAAS etc.) for that less than 3m precision, in a waterproof housing as small and efficient and reliable. When you do I will take my hat off for you

Old 23-02-2023, 08:58   #51

Boat: Riva 48

Quote:
That is a good product but advertised at $249. A cheaper option is available below, at $17 (Elfin-EW10). Every boat should have a couple of these since you can get heading from the autopilot, speed, depth and position to any tablet.

https://www.amazon.com/Pomya-Elfin-E...%2C253&sr=8-13

Regarding the GPS sensors, search for ublox gps on Amazon and take your pick. $11-15 per module, with the serial/0183 interface and coastal correction. These are the same chips that are in your chart plotters, just much newer and better. I tested one on the sailboat, put it into the bilge, below the propeller shaft and it still had good reception. Don't overspend on marine branded stuff.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2023, 11:42   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
That is a good product but advertised at $249. A cheaper option is available below, at $17 (Elfin-EW10). Every boat should have a couple of these since you can get heading from the autopilot, speed, depth and position to any tablet.

https://www.amazon.com/Pomya-Elfin-E...%2C253&sr=8-13

Regarding the GPS sensors, search for ublox gps on Amazon and take your pick. $11-15 per module, with the serial/0183 interface and coastal correction. These are the same chips that are in your chart plotters, just much newer and better. I tested one on the sailboat, put it into the bilge, below the propeller shaft and it still had good reception. Don't overspend on marine branded stuff.
There are big differences between these products. First, the EW10 is single ended serial instead of rs-422 so that introduces a big impedance mismatch resulting in less robust communications.
Also, the Yacht Devices product has internal webservers that allow you to design instrument panels etc.

The GPS sensor is the same one discussed with nohal. It’s not bad but not at the same level as the one I linked either. It is also single ended serial so not compatible with NMEA without adding a converter. Also, it looks like it can only do two constellations simultaneously, although that may be good enough as many still only use one. That said, with the future as bleak as it is, I would want links with every constellation up there.

It uses I2C for heading data, which is unusable unless you add a microcontroller.

Old 23-02-2023, 11:49   #53

Maybe a simple table will be better understandable for you than the datasheets are: https://content.u-blox.com/sites/def...X-13004717.pdf
Old 26-12-2023, 12:10   #54

Hello, I think some simple users have quit halfway through like me�� CPN on iPad only works if you know someone who can install it properly - I'm already quitting most of the terms -�� to all the knowledgeable and super professionals: if cpn doesn't easy to download - mind you, iPad - doesn't work, what can iPad owners do - what runs smoothly and is easy to install? If you want to help, please explain it simply - understandable even for simple users! Thank you very much, dear ones
Skipperpia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2023, 12:40   #55

Boat: Ferretti Altura 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipperpia View Post
Hello, I think some simple users have quit halfway through like me�� CPN on iPad only works if you know someone who can install it properly - I'm already quitting most of the terms -�� to all the knowledgeable and super professionals: if cpn doesn't easy to download - mind you, iPad - doesn't work, what can iPad owners do - what runs smoothly and is easy to install? If you want to help, please explain it simply - understandable even for simple users! Thank you very much, dear ones
If you simply want to use a map, you can use navionics or c-map. You can download it from the AppStore, and pay for maps as you go. If you want to be able to use the plugins from OpenCPN, use the iPad for reading and buy a laptop or an android tablet.

I have both navionics and c-map on my iPad. I like the maps of c-map better, but navionics has the option to connect to my AIS.

As always, it comes down to what you need it for and what else you already have on your ship.

-hans
hans-martijn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad, open cpn