Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2016, 07:57   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold
Re: Open CPN with Windows 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaward 42 View Post
I wonder how you manage to make it work. I have same and it does not work for me. Seems that W10 does not recognise it or driver or whatever reason
Note he saidBU353 version S4 not the original BU353 puck. I had to buy the newer one for Win 8 as there were no drivers for it, only cost a few dollars via amazon so annoying but not disastrous. In the Win 10 upgrade WIN 10 checked and installed all new drivers and even got some stuff working that previously didn't with '8' ( like my scanner software)
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 08:57   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46

Great link for Windows 10, was unsure at first but I love it

Regarding the GPS, just downloaded the drivers from the website, and followed the maual for instalation
Big Joe Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 09:02   #18

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

For anyone thinking of buying a new "Puck", I suggest this one.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o08_s00

It costs a few dollars more but gives access to both GPS and GLONASS satellites. I have 2 of them and they have been rock solid!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 09:37   #19

Boat: Valiant 42

For ships at sea GLONASS does not offer the cruiser much. It helps a tiny bit if you are driving a car in the canyons of Wall Street or similar environments. There are lots of reports comparing GPS only and GPS+GLONASS dual receivers. These reports typically show the dual receivers having a slight advantage in difficult reception locations. But there are very few (if any) reports comparing GPS only straight up against GLONASS only performance. My opinion on the reason is that GLONASS by itself is virtually useless to the average consumer.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 11:03   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
For ships at sea GLONASS does not offer the cruiser much. It helps a tiny bit if you are driving a car in the canyons of Wall Street or similar environments. There are lots of reports comparing GPS only and GPS+GLONASS dual receivers. These reports typically show the dual receivers having a slight advantage in difficult reception locations. But there are very few (if any) reports comparing GPS only straight up against GLONASS only performance. My opinion on the reason is that GLONASS by itself is virtually useless to the average consumer.
I respectfully disagree. Having a combined GLONASS and GPS receiver means faster warm up and lock times. Although it doesn't help accuracy on open water much, it has other advantages. Congested areas like the intercoastal waterway or big cities like Miami it can have benefit.

Although very very far fetched.. but what if the GPS network goes down. I would like to know I can still get positional data from a completely independent network.

Worth the extra few bucks to me!
Old 27-01-2016, 11:09   #21

Boat: Amel Sharki

travellerw,

I don't know your background and how many GPS devices you ever have tested. You should accept however that other people have other knowledge of these things. Compairing only 2 devices will not give you a meaningful result.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 11:11   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I respectfully disagree. Having a combined GLONASS and GPS receiver means faster warm up and lock times. Although it doesn't help accuracy on open water much, it has other advantages. Congested areas like the intercoastal waterway or big cities like Miami it can have benefit.

Although very very far fetched.. but what if the GPS network goes down. I would like to know I can still get positional data from a completely independent network.

Worth the extra few bucks to me!

Save the money spent on alternatives to GPS and buy a powerball ticket. Your odds are better you will win the lottery than GPS going away for any length of time.

Google CHAYKA. Then consider if GLONASS works why do the Russians spend precious rubles on CHAYKA?
Old 27-01-2016, 11:17   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
travellerw,

I don't know your background and how many GPS devices you ever have tested. You should accept however that other people have other knowledge of these things. Compairing only 2 devices will not give you a meaningful result.

Gerhard
Nope. I have no background in GPS technology (I have some in radio) so I'm only going on my research (not comparing 2 devices). I also fully respect that there are MANY people with more knowledge than me. Please post some links and cite some sources, I will happily read them and change my view if required.

Here is one of the sources I'm going on.
GPS/GLONASS Combined Precise Point Positioning with Receiver Clock Modeling. - PubMed - NCBI

P.S. I also don't believe in lottery tickets!
Old 28-01-2016, 12:31   #24

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

Not sure of this is the correct forum, but I am looking for charts covering the Marshall Islands, Carolines, Yap, Palau, etc. basicaly all of Micronesia. I cannot seam to find any of these for OpenCPN.

Thanks
Old 28-01-2016, 15:13   #25

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Here is a great article on reducing/eliminating windows 10 background talking..

How to Stop Windows 10 From Uploading Updates to Other PCs Over the Internet
There is no sure fire way of stopping Win 10 talking in the background.

1. Win 10 Pro - has some additional features using Group Policy
2. Use a firewall to specifically isolate your PC's from Microsoft's update servers.
3. The are some rather dodgy 3rd party programs that can do this.

None of the above are completely effective at isolating your PC. This will result in bandwidth being totally bombed if you are using a sat phone link. It also results in reboots and features being added or reinstalled after you have deleted them.

I have today reloaded Windows 7 onto all of the PC that will be used afloat.

So while Win 8 - 10 appears very slick it has some major major issues. I ran a Tech Preview of Win 10 for over a year but the public release has some severe problems when used on board with limited or delayed connection to the internet.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 15:26   #26

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post

2. Use a firewall to specifically isolate your PC's from Microsoft's update servers.

None of the above are completely effective at isolating your PC. This will result in bandwidth being totally bombed if you are using a sat phone link. It also results in reboots and features being added or reinstalled after you have deleted them.

So while Win 8 - 10 appears very slick it has some major major issues. I ran a Tech Preview of Win 10 for over a year but the public release has some severe problems when used on board with limited or delayed connection to the internet.
Be aware that Windows 7 update will install a windows 10 upgrade nagger which isn't trivial to disable. One of the "features" of the nagger is to act as a billboard to tell you how many people have installed Windows 10 and how great it is. Another reason to use Linux. Easy as to switch off all updates. Windows, on the other hand, requires a series of registry hacks - requiring some expertise - to do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Windrush II View Post
Not sure of this is the correct forum, but I am looking for charts covering the Marshall Islands, Carolines, Yap, Palau, etc. basicaly all of Micronesia. I cannot seam to find any of these for OpenCPN.

Thanks
Try including the term "cm93" in your google searches.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 15:40   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Windrush II View Post

Thanks
If you get the latest beta release of OpenCPN you can use the chart downloader and easily get the latest raster charts from New Zealand. They include a significant portion of the South Pacific. Also, the US NOAA charts include all the US protectorates in the South Pacific. These may not give you the detail you need.

Someone else mentioned CM93 so I won't talk about that. There are charts you can purchase that work with OpenCPN. Chartworld.com offers many charts throughout the world. They are not free however and you need a special plugin for OpenCPN to be able to use their charts. Go to o-charts.org to read about that.

There are also some crowd sourced charts that work with OpenCPN. There is a group of cruisers that have collected various Google Earth based charts of several South Pacific areas. Try this in google "kap files google earth" and you should get many hits on lots of sites where people describe using Google Earth to generate raster images (so-called .kap files) that can be loaded by OpenCPN. These images do not include depth information and are not real nautical charts. But they are useful for planning and sometimes they are more accurate than charts that are based on 100 year old survey data. Note that downloading lots of Google Earth based kap files can consume a lot of file space so make sure you have lots of free disk space (like 30-40GB).
Old 28-01-2016, 17:22   #28

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Try South China Seas
South China Sea Electronic Navigational Charts East Asia Hydrographic Commission

They used to require registration, then the chart access was free.
Don't know if that has changed. Still the same. I'd register and see what they have for you..

Quote:
Download SCS ENC
To download the SCS ENC, user has to register with the EAHC. After registration, registered user will receive via email a password for accessing the Download Page and the Updating Page.
Quote:
In this respect, the EAHC is very pleased to accomplish this mission by producing small scale official Electronic Navigational Charts (ENC) of the South China Sea to serve the maritime community. Presently, the EAHC has nine Member States (MSs) : China, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Indonesia, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore and Thailand.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 17:40   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Be aware that Windows 7 update will install a windows 10 upgrade nagger which isn't trivial to disable. One of the "features" of the nagger is to act as a billboard to tell you how many people have installed Windows 10 and how great it is. Another reason to use Linux. Easy as to switch off all updates. Windows, on the other hand, requires a series of registry hacks - requiring some expertise - to do the same.
That nagger can be disabled by NOT downloading two updates. I learned this from this very forum!

Windows 10 Update Cancel

From cruisersforum.com

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-149627-2.html

Post #27 page 2:

Here is a solution that will suit whoever has W7. This only applies if you have not already accepted W10.

The updates giving you trouble are
2952664 and 3035583

Search your updates and delete both. At the same time convert your update system to 100% manual. Both updates will return but at least you can ignore them.

Originally Posted by Nicholson58 [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Stu/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
I "UPDATED" to 7 because XP was no longer supported. Not only do they require updates, You cannot own the new office suit. My old OFFICE will not load by their $$ extraction plan. You must rent it now by the year. I suppose that when it expires while you are at sea, you will be incapacitated. I am so angry with their exploitation of the customer base. What a business plan. I may be going raspberry pie/Linux or re-loading 95, 98, XP and Office. Perhaps Mac. I think I am done with Mr. Gates knows best etc.
Re Office:

I deal a lot with MS Office of various flavours. IMO, Office 2013 is a classic example of enforcing the "cloud" upon end users whether they want it or not. Furthermore, it is also the most troublesome of all recent Office releases, seemingly suffering a range of gremlins not generally found in earlier versions.

Also don't forget the licensing model has changed. Subscription is indeed pushed, but if purchased outright the license is strictly for a single PC and cannot be transferred forever more to another PC as per the EULA (although this can be gotten around with some hassle). Earlier versions of Office are far less restrictive on use.

My advice if you're stuck with MS Office is to buy Office 2010 or 2007 from Ebay. There's still plenty of unopened genuine versions available at very good prices.

Better still, 99% of users of MS Office do not need to use MS Office. Try one of the many free variants instead like Open Office or Libre Office. Cost is zip and unless you're into macros or documents connected to data sources or MS Access databases or complex MS Office specific documents you'll barely skip a beat in the change over. There's no Outlook, but again plenty of free Email clients abound e.g. Thunderbird.

While your at it, chuck out Acrobat Reader DC. It phones home too, and plenty of lightweight alternatives are available like Sumatra PDF Reader that again will do 99% of what you require without the bloat and phone home "features".

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 06:44   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post

I agree that it can be very difficult to stop the chatty nature of Windows 10, but its not impossible. I just completed a project to rollout 10K seats of Windows 10 for a client. Some of the smaller sites did not have AD or WSUS so we were required to block at the firewall.

Although we built out own list, this thread has pretty much all the sites to block to kill tracking/telemetry (look for post in green)
Stop Windows 10 From Spying On You? 36 DNS Addresses to host file. - Security | DSLReports Forums

Microsoft has a whitepaper on how to block Windows update (it talks about WSUS but they are the same addresses)
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/...or=-2147217396

However.. On "consumer" grade routers, you may not be able to block all those address as consumer grade routers usually have a 30 host limit. Here is a good article on using the built in Windows Firewall to do it (just add the update hosts to this list). Of course the disadvantage of this is never getting updates even when you have a fast connection.
Stop Windows 10 spying on you using just Windows Firewall

Of course you can always go back to Windows 7 if the hardware manufacturer supplies drivers. For me, I prefer the new OS and features and going through the blocking headache. Hopefully Microsoft will eventually get their head out of their ass and realize their strategy won't work for all customers.

Tags
open cpn, wind