Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2017, 06:35   #61

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.
Re: Open CPN with Windows 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I have nothing to do with m$ft. In my travels and work I see and use lots of Linux, Mac and Windows systems. Microsoft has for years been shipping inferior OS and desktop software. Every once in a while they will release something that is really stable. Office 2003, XP, Win 7, Win 10 and Office 2016 are in that category. Win10 is a rock solid OS. I can just about get any OS to crash and any application to dump. I seem to have a knack for finding holes in software. So far I have never personally seen a BSOD on Win 10 but I know it happens, usually due to a virus or hardware issue.

Yes, I know Win10 keeps downloading updates. But that's the price for complex systems in today's world of nefarious people and governments. Every OS has security holes, no encryption is unbreakable and you cannot use a computer on the Internet without being traceable no matter what OS you have. I have a Linux virtual machine (Ubuntu 16) and it will download updates almost every day if I ask it to check and once a week if I don't ask. Heck, even OpenCPN downloads lots of new chart files every week. ISPs will soon be able to sell the list of web sites we visit, when and how often. It's inevitable under the current US administration.

An observation: I work quite a lot with a branch of NASA. That group allows employees to choose what OS they want. About half choose MAC (almost none Linux). When we are starting a meeting the Windows people are often sitting waiting for a few of the MAC people to figure out how to connect video, get connected to the wifi or some other non-standard thing using a hodge-podge of adapters and dongles. In years past it was the reverse.

For all their past sins the people in Redmond have listened to customers and the industry and are producing top notch desktop and laptop software these days. It is only fair I think to acknowledge that. There is great software coming from the open source community too but the free price is often offset by significant self training required.

I don't mind 10 at all. It is "better" than some of the previous versions. My major gripe is the trend towards social media that all this stuff comes with. Anyway I have seen 2 BSOD's immediately after updates that installed incorrectly, i rolled back, reinstalled with no issues.
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 06:41   #62

OCPN working fine, GlobalSat BU-353 S/N does not work, for W10 you should get BU-353-S4 or whatever else you can get.
royalstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 07:12   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post

Although very very far fetched.. but what if the GPS network goes down. I would like to know I can still get positional data from a completely independent network.
Yes, you can. Get sextant, nautical almanac, sight reduction tables pocket watch (winding one), pen, paper, plotting sheet (or made one) and paper charts. if coastal navigation, couple of triangles, (Breton) plotter or parallel ruler, divider, hand bearing compass to take light house bearing for (running) fix.

or use sextant for distance off and horizontal angles for fix.

or sextant off and compass bearing

...easy peasy
royalstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:51   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafa View Post
QFT

I'd wager that the majority of users here have Open CPN running on Windows 10 with no issues.
I have an issue. Just had w10 installed by PC Box and now when I enter a waypoint in the route and mark manager it only stays there untill I close the app, when I restart open cpn the waypoint is gone,also can not export . Does anyone have this problem? Open cpn ran fine with w7.
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:08   #65

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
It is known since a long, long time that Windows is not a useable operating system. I don't understand why people still buy this ...

Gerhard

Bcs Mr Higgings ge2kap only comes in a windows flavor!
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:44   #66

Ok found the problem, I needed the Microsoft runtime C ++ now everything works fine, thanks again for responding.
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 14:54   #67

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalstar View Post
OCPN working fine, GlobalSat BU-353 S/N does not work, for W10 you should get BU-353-S4 or whatever else you can get.

Have a look here.

But I recommend the BS-708 and other u-Blox devices.

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 16:26   #68
Moo

Windows is now very *inux under the hood, flick W10 into developer mode and you can use a linux terminal and run Linux apps natively. Install using apt get
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 16:42   #69

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Windows is now very *inux under the hood, flick W10 into developer mode and you can use a linux terminal and run Linux apps natively. Install using apt get
Yes, but running graphics based applications is not support officially. You can install and run OpenCPN in the Windows Linux “Bash for Windows” but it will not display anything.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 16:59   #70
Moo

Quote:
Yes, but running graphics based applications is not support officially. You can install and run OpenCPN in the Windows Linux “Bash for Windows” but it will not display anything.

True but it is great for those us who's fingers speak *nix.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:12   #71

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
That won't help much. What do you do, go back to Windows to run it? No I think not.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 14:27   #72

One thing you can do is build a Linux installation .deb file. This is useful to ensure that a source code change does not break the Debian Linux build.

I wish O got along with X-Windows. Then it would be possible to debug Linux builds on native Windows.
Old 03-03-2019, 15:53   #73

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
One thing you can do is build a Linux installation .deb file. This is useful to ensure that a source code change does not break the Debian Linux build.

I wish O got along with X-Windows. Then it would be possible to debug Linux builds on native Windows.

Can that be done in .travis.yml? What would be the full set of commands?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 21:48   #74

Rick,

It has nothing to do with continuous integration so not relevant to Travis CI. It is just a handy way to build for Linux on a Windows 10 computer without resorting to virtual machines.

Tags
open cpn, wind