Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 02:13   #1051

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Most of the stuff here is above my ability to keep up, but I had a couple of converters on my laptop running AIS and GPS data. By ensuring I used the same connectors each time, and having Franson GPSGate software, I never had a problem - that software enables you to designate what the output virtual comm port number for the GPS is regardless of what is allocated by the laptop.
Interesting!
I did not mention that you can do the same on Linux with "udev", but then, as I understand it, you may have trouble if you plug in a different USB device, say a camera, in one of those connectors.
Was that possible using the Franson GPSGate, without reassigning the connectors ?
A front end for "udev" in Linux, similar to "Franson" would certainly help.

Thomas
Old 05-09-2009, 02:17   #1052

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Like the new icon shape, can't wait to see it on my onboard pc

Regarding gpsd/usbtty changes, I've got the same annoying effect. Also consider this older, relevant bug in ubuntu..

Quote:
When I plug in a supported USB-based GPS receiver, gpsd should start by itself and recognize the device. Because /lib/udev/gpsd.hotplug.wrapper is broken, this does not happen.
It says fix released upstream?
Old 05-09-2009, 02:58   #1053

Boat: Koopmans, 33 ft cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Interesting!
I did not mention that you can do the same on Linux with "udev", but then, as I understand it, you may have trouble if you plug in a different USB device, say a camera, in one of those connectors.
Was that possible using the Franson GPSGate, without reassigning the connectors ?
A front end for "udev" in Linux, similar to "Franson" would certainly help.

Thomas
Thomas,

With GPSGate, when you re-connect your GPS device to a different usb connector, you have to select again the correct input port to the Franson soft. When I stick it back to the original connector no changes are needed.

Klaas
Old 05-09-2009, 04:47   #1054

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoef View Post
Thomas,

With GPSGate, when you re-connect your GPS device to a different usb connector, you have to select again the correct input port to the Franson soft. When I stick it back to the original connector no changes are needed.

Klaas
yes, and it muxes AIS and other NMEA inputsof different speeds, (my one: Bluetooth GPS, USB-GPS-mouse) lets you even filter sentences, what comes in on navigational data goes through GPSGate and is diverted to as many virtual ports as you wish, best, load it as server on startup and forget it. you can same time send over TCP/IP and Bluetooth

Just for the fun, I sometimes have 9 programs supplied, not really needed in a passage planner or google earth.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:32   #1055

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)
Radar Rings Scale Issue - Log

Below is the relevant portion of the OpenCPN log file covering the period when he radar rings scale issue was observed:

05:53:25: 2009-09-04 10:53:25 -------Starting opencpn-------
05:53:25: Using existing Config_File: F:\Documents and Settings\Crosswicks\Application Data\opencpn\opencpn.ini
05:53:25: Setting Viewpoint Lat/Lon 39.9293, -74.126
05:53:25: Using s57data in E:\XPSP3_02\Applications\OpenCPN\s57data
05:53:25: Using Tide/Current data from: E:\XPSP3_02\Applications\OpenCPN\tcdata\
05:53:25: Setting Viewpoint Lat/Lon 39.9293, -74.126
05:53:26: NMEA Data Source is....Serial:AIS Port (Shared)
05:53:26: AIS Data Source is....None
05:53:26: Using WVSChart datafile: E:\XPSP3_02\Applications\OpenCPN\wvsdata\wvs43.dat
05:53:26: NMEA AutoPilot Port is....None
05:53:27: GPS Watchdog Timeout is: 6 sec.
05:53:28: Initializing Chart F:\Documents\Charts_US\RNC\Region_03_RNC_2009_08\1 2324_5.KAP
05:54:55: Initializing Chart F:\Documents\Charts_US\ENC\Region _03_ENC_2009_08\ENC_ROOT\US5NJ30M\US5NJ30M.000
05:55:32: Found Garmin USB Driver.
05:55:53: Found Garmin USB Driver.
05:57:12: Found Garmin USB Driver.
05:57:20: Found Garmin USB Driver.
05:58:07: Found Garmin USB Driver.
05:59:11: opencpn::MyFrame exiting cleanly...
05:59:12: opencpn::MyApp exiting cleanly...
Old 05-09-2009, 06:16   #1056

Location: Mostly on the boat. Occasionally at our condo in Port St Lucie, FL.
Boat: Manta 42 Sailcat -Toucan Dream
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Manimaul....

If you will send me all the latest icons, and the current (red house, or whatever biological life form it is) ship icon as c++ source, I will incorporate them into the next Beta build.

It would be nice to prove the svg-to-c++ conversion process.

LeaseOnLife:
I found a possible black hole for the HDx messages. Too many messages, too fast. Fixed for next Beta.

Dave
Dave,

I got my first chance to use opncpn underway in ICW with vector charts. Not sure if this is on your list but a north up and head's up choice on chart orientation would be a huge improvement. Query box on objects worked great! The only improvement there would be to enable a mouse over for bridge height or left button click to make it easier to get critical information quickly like bridge height or name.

Great product and thanks so much for what you're doing with this product!

Regards,
Chris
SV Toucan Dream
Old 05-09-2009, 06:25   #1057

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Manimaul...

Thanks for great new icons. The ship icon is 'spot on' so to say but I would have preferred white cross hairs,especially when you zoom up close. You can never please everybody. Appreciate very much the joint efforts here,each using his/her special skills.

Dave.. Still not possible to copy MMSI number and other ship info from the Queery box and the font colour facility in the toolbox does not work.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:19   #1058

Boat: boatless at the moment :-(, Previous Itchen Ferry 25.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
A fairly comprehensive help file with illustrations are being completed by Rhoel as we speak. It may coincide with the (official) new version of OpenCPN ,just around the corner.
Sorry for my absence - been hit by some tropical sickness which has had me lifeless for 4 days. Today is the first time I have turned on the computer. For a computer nerd not even to have the laptop live gives an indication of the 'bad' scale. Still not back on my feet but at least the computer has joined me in bed.

Note on the help file: This is a two stage process - the first part was to get all the code css friendly, behaving the same way on ie6/7/8, FF2/3 and Opera: Not tested on Macs as I don't have access to one. Pt 1 also included adding images and screen-shots, plus links/anchors to the text for finding things more easily.

With the imminent arrival of 1/3/4, I opted out of the table of contents. There is some new text, a re-write of some original wording etc, but nothing too major. Getting the back=bone right at code level was the main consideration.

Part 2 well be a review of all text in detail,the addition of sub-pages: I suspect this might be in the form of a troubleshooting... or more... link for any given topic. I have to add more screenshots/text for the settings.

I will need some assistance with screenshots for AIS - I don't have on my system so things like right clicking of AIS targets I can't do: And I'll remain GPS-blind for a week until a replacement arrives for the GPS mouse whose tail became broken ... you'd think they'd make them a little more idiot proof.

Once 1.3.4 is up, I can grab the new ships icon, arrows and /docs/ file structure etc to move Pt 2 froward,

Rhoel
Old 05-09-2009, 07:23   #1059

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoel_Asia View Post
I will need some assistance with screenshots for AIS - I don't have on my system so things like right clicking of AIS targets I can't do: And I'll remain GPS-blind for a week until a replacement arrives for the GPS mouse whose tail became broken ... you'd think they'd make them a little more idiot proof.

Once 1.3.4 is up, I can grab the new ships icon, arrows and /docs/ file structure etc to move Pt 2 froward, Rhoel
Thanks ever so much for your efforts + get better soon. Hopefully we can wikify it at the end to allow user contributions/development. For AIS, you may wish to try the phiggins AIS simulator hosted at dacusts homepage; worked for me (opencpn+linux). Maybe Sinbad can provide some input on the AIS front, he seems to concentrate on this feature.

Incidentally, I can never get the GPX files (exported tracks) to show up on google earth, even after conversion to KML.. Any ideas?
Old 05-09-2009, 07:47   #1060

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Rhoel..

Whatever you need on the AIS front,feel free to ask...
I wish you a speedy recovery...

Regards
Tore
Old 05-09-2009, 08:06   #1061

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Sweet new icons manimaul! Wonderful work!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 05-09-2009, 08:14   #1062

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
"When I plug in a supported USB-based GPS receiver, gpsd should start by itself and recognize the device. Because /lib/udev/gpsd.hotplug.wrapper is broken, this does not happen."

Thank you for reminding me. I have lived with a separate script to start gpsd for a long time. After some digging, I got gpsd to behave and now starts when I plug in the gps. I'm running Kubuntu 9.04.
This is what I did.
Download and install the following packages from Ubuntu 9.10:
gpsd-clients_2.39-5_i386.deb
gpsd_2.39-5_i386.deb
libgps18_2.39-5_i386.deb
I then renamed the gpsd rules in /etc/udev/rules.d to be consistent with the other rules to: 60-gpsd.rules
I then followed the instructions in post #1 on this page [all variants] gpsd autostart with USB gps (udev) - Ubuntu Forums
except for the last part about copying a piece from a debian package (this was not necessary).
That's it.

Hopefully this will all be sorted out in the next release of Ubuntu.

Thomas
Old 05-09-2009, 09:00   #1063

Boat: boatless at the moment :-(, Previous Itchen Ferry 25.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
Incidentally, I can never get the GPX files (exported tracks) to show up on google earth, even after conversion to KML.. Any ideas?
I am able to import and display saved GPX routes without KML conversion. In Google Earth, I use File/open/ to get the file browser - next to the file name box is a drop-down of valid import extensions: Select GPS (which includes GPX).

Once you have selected a valid file, GE brings up a dialogue box of available options like Waypoints, Tracks Routes etc.

I leave the default settings and hit return. With the exception of the round-the-world route (which Dave will be delighted to learn Google cannot display correctly), everything looks fine.

I am using Vista and Google Earth 5.0.11.

If you still have problems, can you post a sample GPX file someplace.

Rhoel
Old 05-09-2009, 10:02   #1064
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
No problems found.

In cm93 object query. If an item has more information than will fit in the right box, it is positioned at the bottom of the text instead at the top. (Examples are the caution notices in Panama canal.)

Would be nice to have scroll wheel working in this box, as well.

-dan
Old 05-09-2009, 11:10   #1065

Boat: Koopmans, 33 ft cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post

Would be nice to have scroll wheel working in this box, as well.

-dan
Dan,

When I left click the right box the scroll wheel works.
(Vista, 901)

Klaas
Closed Thread