Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 06:03   #1111

Boat: Koopmans, 33 ft cutter
Rhoel,

I just had a crash when I first clicked the ? button and then clicked the box.
Combining Sinbad's and my observations, the crashes seem related to opening a box, and maybe Vista X86.

Klaas
Old 07-09-2009, 06:25   #1112

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by phiggins View Post
Dave,

On Sep. 03 BluBaj reported this bug on build 903:

I'm about to head south (from Toronto) and I want to use openCPN at the helm. Will this bug affect me? Do you plan to fix it soon?

Thanks,

Do not know about the Southern Hemisphere, but as long as you do not sail WEST until you reach the EAST you should be fine. Anyway, Equator from Toronto is quite a trip, don't know your type/speed of vessel though.

Anyway for real life you should never use a beta or just omit 903. I am waiting too, I'd like to see me where I am again and all the new features implemented ;-)
Old 07-09-2009, 06:30   #1113
Marine Service Provider

All....

Keep those crash reports coming. I know these things are tough to reproduce, and even tougher for me to divine the root cause.

Every clue is useful. Eventually we will find some common ground, which will lead to a solution.....

phiggins: The E/W longitude bug applies only to Eastern hemisphere. OK for Canada. Anyway, new Beta due shortly, with fix in place.

KerryDeare: Verified the radar range ring problem. Occurs with skewed RNC's only. Fix in next Beta. Thanks.

Manimaul: Ship icon seems small, or is it just me?

Also, it would be best if the ship icon were an odd number of pixels in width, so that a single pixel line (COG or Heading) drawn from center will exactly intersect the stemhead fitting, if you see what I mean.

Finally, having a transparent 16x16 tidesml icon adds a bit of new overhead to chart rendering, may impact performance with tide stations shown while chart dragging. Looks nice, though....

Thats all for now
Dave
Old 07-09-2009, 06:31   #1114

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by phiggins View Post
Dave,
On Sep. 03 BluBaj reported this bug on build 903:
I'm about to head south (from Toronto) and I want to use openCPN at the helm. Will this bug affect me? Do you plan to fix it soon?
Forgot to add, with 903 I have plenty crashes daily (XP), I would not use it on the helm.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:03   #1115

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Dave..

You mean center the TRUE course over the stem surely? Imagine if you have a cross tide at 3-4 knots,the bow on the chart would point in a completely different direction of travel. Why is TRUE course not mentioned by anyone here,you don't have tides in your areas?
Old 07-09-2009, 07:17   #1116

To demonstrate the situation on the chart....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OPENCPNMAP.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	388.4 KB
ID:	9757  
Old 07-09-2009, 07:23   #1117

A demo sample from a commercial program...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_05 Sep. 07 11.19.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	9758  
Old 07-09-2009, 07:31   #1118

Boat: Privilege 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
You mean center the TRUE course over the stem surely? Imagine if you have a cross tide at 3-4 knots,the bow on the chart would point in a completely different direction of travel. Why is TRUE course not mentioned by anyone here,you don't have tides in your areas?
Sounds like you are talking about the difference between heading and course, which is not the same thing as true course (as opposed to magnetic).
Old 07-09-2009, 07:52   #1119

The course displayed is (or should be) be Course Over Ground. Heading on a chartplotter should in degrees true. Magnetic doesn't come into the equation on a chartplotter.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:52   #1120
Marine Service Provider

Blubaju....

Can you help with information on how it crashes? Some idea of the key/mouse actions prior to the crash would be helpful in isolating this annoying bug....

Dave
Old 07-09-2009, 08:07   #1121

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Manimaul: Ship icon seems small, or is it just me?

Also, it would be best if the ship icon were an odd number of pixels in width, so that a single pixel line (COG or Heading) drawn from center will exactly intersect the stemhead fitting, if you see what I mean.

Finally, having a transparent 16x16 tidesml icon adds a bit of new overhead to chart rendering, may impact performance with tide stations shown while chart dragging. Looks nice, though....

Dave
increased ship to 49x97 with cross hairs in pixel center.

I could remove transparency from tidesml.png if that would help. I wonder why it would cause a performance hit?
Old 07-09-2009, 08:09   #1122

Boat: Sailboat
Manimaul, now you got my vote too!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:12   #1123

The correct terms are COURSE and HEADING. COURSE meaning True course having corrected for magnetic deviation. HEADING meaning anything other than planned COURSE,affected by tidal currents,wind and sloppy steering. COURSE is a better word to use than TRUE as COG is the real truth where you ARE going.

To elucidate further for the un-initiated:

1) True Course (TC): This is the course measured from your navigation plotter when you plot the route on your map.

2) True Heading (TH): Now that you have a true course, we need to correct for current and winds which will give us a true heading.

3) Magnetic Heading (MH): The difference between true north and magnetic north is known as magnetic variation. Lines of variation are shown on a sectional chart as dashed magenta lines and called isogonic lines. By adding or subtracting variation from your true heading you will get your magnetic heading.

4) Compass Heading (CH): Items from inside the vessel can actually affect the performance of the compass. Navigators take account for this and often place a placard beneath the compass displaying the errors for certain headings. These errors are referred to as deviation. By adding or subtracting deviation from your magnetic heading this will give you a compass heading. A compass heading is the direction you could turn the vessel to that has been corrected for currents,winds, variation and deviation. In an ideal world, this would have you following your true course perfectly that you had plotted earlier on the map.

So in review:

Course: Is always the line drawn on the chart

Heading: The direction which the vessel is pointed
Old 07-09-2009, 08:20   #1124

Manimaul...

New boat icon looks great. Will it follow zooming in size?

I have an idea... could the ship icon automatically be placed at the beginning of each active route rather than the present yellow circle?
Old 07-09-2009, 08:30   #1125

manimaul, could the cross-hairs be made equal-sided like this: + ? The cross-hairs as they are remind me of a church cross!!!
Closed Thread