Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 16:44   #1231

Location: Mostly on the boat. Occasionally at our condo in Port St Lucie, FL.
Boat: Manta 42 Sailcat -Toucan Dream
Dave,

I tried out build 911 today in the ICW. In close up views of the charts the boat icon stretches out along the route. It kind of looks like a snake after a while. When I pointer over any of the green or blue chart icons it goes back to normal size. Also the mouse wheel stopped controlling zoom. I can still zoom with the buttons up top.

Hope this helps. And thanks for what you're doing on this project.

Chris
SV Toucan Dream
Old 12-09-2009, 16:55   #1232

Boat: Fantasia 35
Hi Dave,

The dimmer works sort of ok on CM-93 charts. However, for BSB charts there seem to be a problem. The system is an XP running the 911 build. If you need more info just let me know.

Thanks again,

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dim0.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	9863   Click image for larger version

Name:	dim1.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	9864  

Name:	dim2.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	9865   Click image for larger version

Name:	dim3.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	9866  

Old 12-09-2009, 17:28   #1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
Hi Dave,

The dimmer works sort of ok on CM-93 charts. However, for BSB charts there seem to be a problem. The system is an XP running the 911 build. If you need more info just let me know.

Thanks again,

Paul
Hi Paul,

It looks like the BSB charts you are using do not have a palette. This is a limitation of the chart. <SING>Knowing is half the battle ... GI-JOE</SING> ... perhaps future versions could auto-detect the absence of a palette on some raster charts and dim the colors somehow.

Will
Old 12-09-2009, 18:12   #1234

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
I have tested the chart dim function on all kinds of charts including cm93, S57 ENCS and different types of BSB's and none of them react to the first step of the dim function. It goes from bright daylight to quite dark and to very dark.
Old 12-09-2009, 18:26   #1235
Marine Service Provider

Chris Blair...

Cannot reproduce the effect you report. Any chance of a screen shot?

I assume you are using skewed (non-north-up) BSB raster charts?
Any more info would be helpful....

Thanks
Dave
Old 12-09-2009, 18:33   #1236
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
The BSBs I am looking does react to the second step, but just barely. Water gets a little darker and land gets a little darker. I imagine in dusk, the difference might be a little more noticeable.

I prefer to use the controls on my desktop. Move the color spectrum to the red and dim it as far as it will go. That gets all the programs and the menu bars, etc., so it doesn't go blinding bright when I switch programs.

For full size shots, go here

-dan
Old 12-09-2009, 18:41   #1237

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
Dave,

Attached is exception with more stack info. This is after I press break. If I press continue, opencpn just keeps running.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OpenCPN_Exception_Build_911.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	9870  
Old 12-09-2009, 18:46   #1238

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimaul View Post
Hi Paul,

It looks like the BSB charts you are using do not have a palette. This is a limitation of the chart. <SING>Knowing is half the battle ... GI-JOE</SING> ... perhaps future versions could auto-detect the absence of a palette on some raster charts and dim the colors somehow.

Will
Hi Will,

Of course you are right.

However, although I do prefer to use the on-screen controls to dim as necessary, I do believe that a feature should either work as intended or there is a bug. So, I hope Dave can find a way to control brightness/contrast of the charts instead of changing the palette. I know Dave is working very hard on getting this next release out the door. And, I for one do greatly appreciate all the effort he is putting into this project. Also, I don't think that problems that have work arounds (like the dimmer problem,) and adding new features (like manual datum adjustment controls,) are things that he need to be dealing with right now.

Best regards,

Paul
Old 12-09-2009, 18:56   #1239
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
Also, I don't think that problems that have work arounds (like the dimmer problem,) and adding new features (like manual datum adjustment controls,) are things that he need to be dealing with right now.
You are right. However, I prefer to give Dave everything I find. For one thing, I notice he is pretty good at prioritizing things himself.

As a programmer myself, I'd rather hear about things early. Sometimes I may be in the code at the right place, and go ahead and make a small change just because I am already there. Knowing about it up front makes it easier to manage my efficiency.

Main thing is, I don't expect Dave to jump on things and fix them according to my schedule, but his.

-dan
Old 12-09-2009, 19:07   #1240

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Quote:
I have tested the chart dim function on all kinds of charts including cm93, S57 ENCS and different types of BSB's and none of them react to the first step of the dim function. It goes from bright daylight to quite dark and to very dark.
Actually,not quite true,my Brazilian BSB charts shows a different picture.
Here are the four different stages of the dimmer:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ScreenHunter_02 Sep. 12 22.55.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	9871   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_03 Sep. 12 22.56.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	9872  

Name:	ScreenHunter_04 Sep. 12 22.56.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	9873   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_05 Sep. 12 22.57.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	9874  

Old 12-09-2009, 19:14   #1241

Dan,

All true. It is just my software manager instincts kicking in to protect my people from being overwhelmed by customer and marketing requests.

Oh, and thanks for gathering together the charts on your site.

Paul
Old 12-09-2009, 19:32   #1242

Location: Mostly on the boat. Occasionally at our condo in Port St Lucie, FL.
Boat: Manta 42 Sailcat -Toucan Dream
Dave,

It only happens underway with "auto follow" activated. The charts are skewed raster and vector in the Myrtle Beach area inside the ICW. They are the most recent NOAA charts that I downloaded a couple of weeks ago. The icon seems to stretch inside the ICW and conforms to the curves when I zoom in. I can get a screen shot next time I go out. Will try to do it soon. I'm using XP pro.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Chris
Old 12-09-2009, 20:16   #1243
Marine Service Provider

All....

Thanks for the good words on Build 911, and all your comments.

1. DeleteAllRoutes, then right click crash understood. Easy fix... May be responsible for lots of random right-click crashes.
2. Still blubaju crashes with AIS input. Crash dump files imply problems with an errant pointer in the MS run-time library, I think.... Still open. Surprising that Sinbad7 has not reported same, since he is heavy AIS Vista user......
3. Some problem with skewed ICW charts, waiting on screen dump.
Can anyone simulate this?
4. Anything else I missed, disregarding feature requests?

5. And the biggie: Bishop hat!
We need a volunteer to read/distill/condense/mockup/consensify(is this a word?) all the comments over the past week or so regarding the ownship icon.
Questions:
How big?
Scale with chart size? Limits?
Rad/Green/Yellow?
related item: Tide Station icon size?

There are lots of good experienced ideas out there. We can code just about anything. I'd rather hold off on a dialog configurable ownship icon for now., since dialogs traditionally introduce lots of new bug potentials.

I'd do this job myself, but I have limited net bandwidth aboard, and could be better heads down in the code.

Any volunteers for the Icon Product Manager spot?

After the release of 1.3.4, we will have a need for the same kind of consensus building and priority determination effort for new feature requests.....

Thanks again
Dave
Old 12-09-2009, 21:04   #1244

Boat: Grampian 26
I expected to get out today and really put opencpn through its paces, but alas, instead, I threw more money at the boat. Her revenge for me not visiting her for the last 2 months.

Anyway, I did run across a like to have item.

A comment section for waypoints. It could be on a second tab on the same dialog. I think there is a field for this in gpx might be called description rather than comment. It's especially useful when you are sending them to someone else to avoid hazards. Quite important in shoaly (not sure if that's a word) Carolinas. I've used the field in other programs for things like phone numbers for marina's, hotels, and food, to make reservations. There are actually several fields that could be added such as type of fix, link... but I think comments is the most important.

I agree that the boat icon is to large. I also agree that charts should be allowed to zoomed in a bit more. For some of us our eyes aren't what they used to be.

Thanks again for all the effort.
Old 12-09-2009, 21:10   #1245
Obsfucator, Second Class

Can I change the SENCFileLocation below, copy the directory over to the new location? I have a terabyte on secondary drives, but only 40gb on C:.

Will it confuse things if I make it a subdirectory of the G:charts directory that OpenCPN gets all my other charts from?

Code:
[Directories]
S57DataLocation=C:\\Program Files\\OpenCPN\\s57data
SENCFileLocation=C:\\Documents and Settings\\xxxxxxx\\Application Data\\opencpn\\SENC
PresentationLibraryData=
InitChartDir=G:\\charts

Change to:

Code:
[Directories]
S57DataLocation=C:\\Program Files\\OpenCPN\\s57data
SENCFileLocation=G:\\charts\\SENC
PresentationLibraryData=
InitChartDir=G:\\charts
Oh, I haven't noticed the files growing in the TEMP directory, looks like you fixed that. Thanks!

-dan
Closed Thread