Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2022, 09:26   #136

Re: OpenCPN 5.6.0 Released

Understanding the Microsoft Surface specs is very confusing. Bloody marketing people !

If you look at the spec for the Surface Pro X, under the sensors section it makes no mention of GPS or Location Services
Quote:
Accelerometer
Gyroscope
Magnetometer
Ambient light sensor
and under the wireless section it states:
Quote:
Wi-Fi 5: 802.11ac compatible
Bluetooth Wireless 5.0 technology
Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ X24 LTE modem
Up to Gigabit LTE Advanced Pro4 with nanoSIM and eSIM support. LTE Bands supported: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46, 66
Assisted GPS and GLONASS support
which is the source of confusion.

It does have a Qualcomm Snapdragon X24 LTE modem processor, which according to the Qualcomm specs, does have GNSS capabilities.

I think the statement "Assisted GPS and GLONASS support" just means that in addition to GPS & GLONASS location services, it will also attempt to augment it's position using its WiFi IP Address and its Cellular Network services.

Similar to Apple iPad's, I think any Microsoft Surface computer that supports a cellular network (LTE/4G/6G), meaning it has a slot for a SIM card, also supports GPS/GLONASS. Happy to be proven wrong however.

Nonetheless, it is a shame that OpenCPN does not yet have native support for Window Location Services.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:28   #137

Boat: Wooden 1940's Mystery Cruiser 33'

I can add to Kevinh report of Mac serial connection problem under 5.6.0

OS 10.14.6 MacBook Pro / OCPN 5.6.0 Plugin API 117

When enabling USB serial connections, exiting the dialog with 'OK' causes the connection to fail shortly thereafter. Reopening the connection dialog shows the status as enabled, but debug window shows no incoming data. Un-Checking the 'Enable' box, selecting Apply', checking the 'Enable' box and 'Apply', restarts the data input flow. If the connection dialog is exited with the 'Cancel' option, the serial data continues to be received. If however, 'OK' is selected, the serial data connection will fail within seconds...
Old 07-01-2022, 14:24   #138

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Thanks Steve, Yes this has been requested a number of times. Perhaps some kind programmer will take a little time and care to add this feature and give back to the program.

Quote:
Nonetheless, it is a shame that OpenCPN does not yet have native support for Window Location Services.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 14:27   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
I can add to Kevinh report of Mac serial connection problem under 5.6.0

OS 10.14.6 MacBook Pro / OCPN 5.6.0 Plugin API 117

When enabling USB serial connections, exiting the dialog with 'OK' causes the connection to fail shortly thereafter. Reopening the connection dialog shows the status as enabled, but debug window shows no incoming data. Un-Checking the 'Enable' box, selecting Apply', checking the 'Enable' box and 'Apply', restarts the data input flow. If the connection dialog is exited with the 'Cancel' option, the serial data continues to be received. If however, 'OK' is selected, the serial data connection will fail within seconds...

Dave would you mind adding this Issue to github, here under Opencpn/OpenCPN Isssues? If you don't have an opensource git account, you can make one or I can add this Issue. ..Let me know. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2022, 14:38   #140

Boat: Najad 34

Stevead..
I know you're generously contributing to OCPN by a nice plugin and other things and it could be I'm overreacting about the word shame. I mean it can be it has another meaning for you than a angry downgrading of people's effort and willingness to share there time and knowledge as I read it?
For me nothing is a shame with OCPN. I'm so grateful it's here thanks to the developers. If anything could be added why not a humble suggestion and maybe a point to a way solve it?
Sorry for my feelings and please, all English native speaker, correct me if I got it wrong.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 19:57   #141

Boat: Wooden 1940's Mystery Cruiser 33'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Dave would you mind adding this Issue to github, here under Opencpn/OpenCPN Isssues? If you don't have an opensource git account, you can make one or I can add this Issue. ..Let me know. Thanks.
Done...

New to GitHub, and wondering if there should be different threads for the different builds, Win, Mac, Linux, etc... As bugs (some) are environmental effects...
Old 08-01-2022, 05:23   #142

Hakan, we all have our good and bad. Like they say good weather good humour and bad weather bad humour. One has to waterdown its wine.
Have a good day.
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:21   #143

Yes, that's how it is. And my English shortcomings fools me to voice when I should have been silent. Steve...'s meaning was not that bad as I understand.
Thanks and the same good day to you.
Old 09-01-2022, 00:05   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailerboy View Post
I have been told that the Pro X is unique from the other Surface Pro models in that it does have "wireless Assisted GPS and GLONASS support" This is an extract from their own tech specs. This was the reason I bought this model, so that I had a standalone unit that didnt require an external puck.
Please make a try with this by stevead: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3551546
Old 09-01-2022, 06:21   #145

Boat: Gemini 3200

In colloquial English "it's a shame" should be interpreted as "it's too bad" or "it's unfortunate". Not nearly as strong as your apparent interpretation.
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 13:40   #146

Hi not making a lot of progress. Trying to add gps and serial comms and in Connections no date ports are shown and on startup of cpn 5.6 system reports no connections shown. Once again need help !
georgetina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 15:39   #147

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetina View Post
Hi not making a lot of progress. Trying to add gps and serial comms and in Connections no date ports are shown and on startup of cpn 5.6 system reports no connections shown. Once again need help !
We will need more information.
What GPS and how connected?
What OS? Windows, Mac, etc.
Does Device Manager show the GPS under Ports (COM & LPT)?
If so, what com port has been assigned?
What 'serial comms' do you mean?
Need to be a bit more specific to get help.
Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 16:29   #148

It would help to read the manual I think.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3550271
Old 12-01-2022, 20:45   #149

Boat: Lagoon 500

I have been away from the internet for a month and could not follow up on the issues I am having with OpenCPN 5.6.0.

I have a 2018 MacBook Pro, 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD and Monterey 12.1. I have been testing a clean installation of OpenCPN 5.6.0 and it has proved very problematic for the Mac, so much that I could not tolerate the issues any longer and reverted to OpenCPN 5.2.4.

The issues are:
- Options/Connections/Add Connection/Serial/Data Port is blank and will not recognise any devices.
- CM93 "tears" when scrolling and the chart will not show when 'Enable Chart Quilting' is unchecked. This happens with CM93 2007, CM93 2013 and CM93 2015.
- After starting and stopping OpenCPN 5.6.0 an irregular number of times, none of the chart images will display and the chart area remains blank (whether Quilting is enabled or not) - CM93, Navionics, MBTiles GE/ESRI/Bing. The charts have to be removed in Options/Charts and reinstalled for the charts to work again. Same thing happens after a short time - this is a fatal flaw.
- '"OpenCPN.app" would like to record this computer's screen' keeps popping up when the app is started. Deleting 'OpenCPN.app' from the Mac System Preferences/Security & Privacy/Privacy/Screen Recording, just sees it reappear again in Privacy/Screen Recording - very annoying. This does not happen with any other app.
- App bombs out frequently if changes are made under OpenCPN/Options.

I have done a clean install many times and the same issues keep occurring. None of these issues happen under OpenCPN 5.2.4.

I appreciate all of the hard work that has gone into this maintenance release, but OpenCPN 5.6.0 has turned into a 'maintenance nightmare' for the Mac.
kevinvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 01:40   #150

I have read the manual and most of the posts on this site!. So I have no DataPort connections in options/connections/dataport. All was OK on 5.4.
I have a u-blox 7 gps and a serial to usb converter connected and both are ok when I use lsusb to see. I am running ubuntu 20.04. I have put in sudo usermod -a -G dialout $USER.
georgetina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn