Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2022, 02:05   #151

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: OpenCPN 5.6.0 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvh View Post
I have been away from the internet for a month and could not follow up on the issues I am having with OpenCPN 5.6.0.

I have a 2018 MacBook Pro, 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD and Monterey 12.1. I have been testing a clean installation of OpenCPN 5.6.0 and it has proved very problematic for the Mac, so much that I could not tolerate the issues any longer and reverted to OpenCPN 5.2.4.

The issues are:
- Options/Connections/Add Connection/Serial/Data Port is blank and will not recognise any devices.
- CM93 "tears" when scrolling and the chart will not show when 'Enable Chart Quilting' is unchecked. This happens with CM93 2007, CM93 2013 and CM93 2015.
- After starting and stopping OpenCPN 5.6.0 an irregular number of times, none of the chart images will display and the chart area remains blank (whether Quilting is enabled or not) - CM93, Navionics, MBTiles GE/ESRI/Bing. The charts have to be removed in Options/Charts and reinstalled for the charts to work again. Same thing happens after a short time - this is a fatal flaw.
- '"OpenCPN.app" would like to record this computer's screen' keeps popping up when the app is started. Deleting 'OpenCPN.app' from the Mac System Preferences/Security & Privacy/Privacy/Screen Recording, just sees it reappear again in Privacy/Screen Recording - very annoying. This does not happen with any other app.
- App bombs out frequently if changes are made under OpenCPN/Options.

I have done a clean install many times and the same issues keep occurring. None of these issues happen under OpenCPN 5.2.4.

I appreciate all of the hard work that has gone into this maintenance release, but OpenCPN 5.6.0 has turned into a 'maintenance nightmare' for the Mac.
FWIW I can't reproduce any of your issues on a Big Sur Intel Mac except macOS displaying that bogus question about permission to record screen, which seems like an issue with wxWidgets internals and can't be fixed in OpenCPN code.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 05:50   #152

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Georgetina Normally we suggest you create a separate thread for these kinds of problems. So please go to this new thread and read what we need in order to help.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3554095

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetina View Post
I have read the manual and most of the posts on this site!. So I have no DataPort connections in options/connections/dataport. All was OK on 5.4.
I have a u-blox 7 gps and a serial to usb converter connected and both are ok when I use lsusb to see. I am running ubuntu 20.04. I have put in sudo usermod -a -G dialout $USER.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 09:37   #153

Boat: Lagoon 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetina View Post
I have read the manual and most of the posts on this site!. So I have no DataPort connections in options/connections/dataport. All was OK on 5.4.
I have a u-blox 7 gps and a serial to usb converter connected and both are ok when I use lsusb to see. I am running ubuntu 20.04. I have put in sudo usermod -a -G dialout $USER.
I confirm that this was the same issue I was having with the Serial Dataport on my Mac after upgrading to 5.6.0. I got mine working by pasting the following from an old opencpn.ini (5.4.2) file.
[Settings/NMEADataSource]
DataConnections=1;0;10.10.123.211;2947;0;;4800;1;0 ;0;;0;;1;0;0;0;0;;1|1;0;192.168.4.1;10110;0;;4800; 1;0;0;;0;;1;0;0;0;0;;1|1;0;192.168.1.121;11123;0;; 4800;1;0;0;;0;;1;0;0;0;0;;1|0;2;0.0.0.0;0;0;/dev/cu.XGPS160-45E053;115200;1;0;0;;0;;1;0;0;0;1;;1

You will need to replace the XGPS160-45E053 with the code for your puck.
kevinvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 10:05   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
FWIW I can't reproduce any of your issues on a Big Sur Intel Mac except macOS displaying that bogus question about permission to record screen, which seems like an issue with wxWidgets internals and can't be fixed in OpenCPN code.
Yeh, I suspect that 5.6.0 is not compatible with Monterey. Interesting that 5.2.4 works perfectly with Monterey.

On the Screen Recording issue, I have narrowed it down to the GRIB plugin. It occurs when I select GRIB from the menu, click on 'Open A New File' and then select the relevant Grib file from the window. As soon as I press OK the Screen Recording message appears and 'OpenCPN.app' reappears in my System Preferences/Security & Privacy/Privacy/Screen Recording pane. There must be something in the Grib configuration that triggers this.

I downloaded and installed OpenCPN 5.2.4 from https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/releases, and I am now getting the screen recording message with 5.2.4. It was not happening with the 5.2.4 version that I restored from my TimeMachine Backup. It requires someone smarter than me to find out why the restored version works and the installer version gives the annoying Screen Recording message.
Old 13-01-2022, 11:33   #155

Quote:
Yeh, I suspect that 5.6.0 is not compatible with Monterey. Interesting that 5.2.4 works perfectly with Monterey.

On the Screen Recording issue, I have narrowed it down to the GRIB plugin. It occurs when I select GRIB from the menu, click on 'Open A New File' and then select the relevant Grib file from the window. As soon as I press OK the Screen Recording message appears and 'OpenCPN.app' reappears in my System Preferences/Security & Privacy/Privacy/Screen Recording pane. There must be something in the Grib configuration that triggers this.

I downloaded and installed OpenCPN 5.2.4 from https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/releases, and I am now getting the screen recording message with 5.2.4. It was not happening with the 5.2.4 version that I restored from my TimeMachine Backup. It requires someone smarter than me to find out why the restored version works and the installer version gives the annoying Screen Recording message.
OK, I just reinstalled my old 'Library/Preferences/opencpn' preferences and 'Library/Application Support/OpenCPN' folders from a backup (ie I trashed the existing created from a clean install, and replaced with a backup copy). I did not replace the Application folder. The Screen Recording message no longer appears.

So I conclude that the issue is triggered by the OpenCPN configuration created by a clean install - something has changes in the configuration files. Hopefully, someone can figure out how to fix it on clean installed copies of OpenCPN 5.2.4 and OpenCPN 5.6.0.
Old 13-01-2022, 12:02   #156

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

kevinh, we have moved this to this thread
I will link to your helpful comments there. Thanks.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 12:21   #157
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:

Monterey macOS 12.x is not a general issue.

We are running 5.6.0 with macOS 12.0.1 on a M1 macMINI since beta tests and have no serious hick-ups.

The pop-up about "screen shots" is an wxWidgets bug and is not a real issue. Just ignore it. We might have seen it since more than a year, even before 5.2

All type of charts are ok, the tearing reported does not happen with this device.

Can't say anything about COM ports as all AIS and GNNS data are IP based on that system. Works just fine.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 15:47   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldebaran17 View Post
Installed on MacOS 11.5. on a M1 MacBook. Works well. oeSenc does work, will test other plugins in the coming days.

Many thanks to Dave and the entire development team. Great job.

Manfred
I am trying to download to my IPad and my laptop but it wont allow me to, on my laptop I get the message :

" OpenCPN_5.6.0.pkg" cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.
macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware.

My mac is new :
MacOS BigSur version 11.6
Any help or suggestion will be very much appreciated ,,, thank you
Old 13-01-2022, 15:51   #159

Boat: Sceptre 41

Opencpn does not work on iPad.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 16:30   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Opencpn does not work on iPad.
Thank you I am still having problems on my laptop , it won't let me open the app once downloaded with the message above ....
I have read that some have downloaded it successfully ...
Old 13-01-2022, 18:03   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigger-sailor View Post
Thank you I am still having problems on my laptop , it won't let me open the app once downloaded with the message above ....
I have read that some have downloaded it successfully ...
Go to your Applications folder, Control-Click on OpenCPN.app and click Open. You will get a message about from an unidentified developer, select Open (or it could be yes), then OpenCPN should work.
Old 13-01-2022, 23:20   #162
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Go to your Applications folder, Control-Click on OpenCPN.app and click Open. You will get a message about from an unidentified developer, select Open (or it could be yes), then OpenCPN should work.

Right-click will work the same way...
This is a one-time action. From then on you will run OpenCPN as all other applications.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 07:23   #163

Problem displaying NOAA MBTiles - Using the 'Chart Downloader', downloaded NOAA MBTiles for California. Scrolling around Catalina Island (33 27.2N 118 30.4W) at .2NM zoom level, sections of the chart are blank (noaa_mbtiles.png)

I believe OpenCPN 5.6 is attempting to find the borders of various NOAA charts. When there's overlapping charts at different scale levels, OpenCPN displays large horizontal and vertical white bands. From the NOAA RNC charts, you can see the smaller scale chart outlines (noaa_rnc.png). These are the same areas where the MBTiles are blank.

Note, OpenCPN 5.2.4 displays the NOAA MBTiles correctly (w/out the white/blank borders). You can see this properly displayed noaa-mbtiles-5.2.png.

Please let me know if you need any further information.
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	noaa-mbtiles.png
Views:	46
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	251315   Click image for larger version

Name:	noaa-rnc.png
Views:	51
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	251321  

Click image for larger version

Name:	noaa-mbtiles-5.2.png
Views:	50
Size:	351.1 KB
ID:	251323  
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 14:18   #164

Some great improvements. The ability to append and then move waypoints in routes is tremendous.
One question, though: In Windows 10, the toolbar is always in the center (horizontally) of the display. How could I move it to be aligned with one side or the other?
Ratty1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 14:38   #165

Boat: Phantom 19

Make sure "Enable Touchscreen Interface" checkbox in Options->User Interface is NOT checked, you should then be able to drag the toolbar anywhere using the top hamburger icon.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn