Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2022, 15:10   #166

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: OpenCPN 5.6.0 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
Problem displaying NOAA MBTiles - Using the 'Chart Downloader', downloaded NOAA MBTiles for California. Scrolling around Catalina Island (33 27.2N 118 30.4W) at .2NM zoom level, sections of the chart are blank (noaa_mbtiles.png)

I believe OpenCPN 5.6 is attempting to find the borders of various NOAA charts. When there's overlapping charts at different scale levels, OpenCPN displays large horizontal and vertical white bands. From the NOAA RNC charts, you can see the smaller scale chart outlines (noaa_rnc.png). These are the same areas where the MBTiles are blank.

Have you used the Chartdownloader to download the entire set of charts for that area? You can select by USCG region, then the region that applies or by state.

Also have you rebuilt the entire database and created the necessary senc files?
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 19:54   #167

Boat: Moody 46, 2001

On MacOS Intel 11.6, this was my problem as well, with the added issue that only the master charts would display in anything like a reliable form (albeit unusable).

The fix was straightforward: on ENC and raster charts, remove the directories from the data bases and restart OpenCPN (simply rebuilding the database didn't seem to get the job done). Then point back at the directories and rebuild the databases. Normal tiling was restored.

The fix with oeSENC charts (in my case, the Canada charts) was a bit trickier: because of licensing I didn't want to delete the pointer to the directories, so I pointed OpenCPN at the 2020 charts, shut down OpenCPN and then restarted and pointed to the 2021 (most current) charts. All is wonderful and seems to work fine.

My guess is that something is not being flushed from a memory cache on rebuild database, and it takes a restart to flush.

Walt Knowles
waltknowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 08:32   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Have you used the Chartdownloader to download the entire set of charts for that area? You can select by USCG region, then the region that applies or by state.

Also have you rebuilt the entire database and created the necessary senc files?
Yes and Yes.

BTW - MBtiles are the raster charts and combine the old KAP chart tiles into a SQL database.

This is pretty easy for other folks to verify. Download NOAA MBTiles any region and zoom-in to any harbor chart. I believe OpenCPN is having trouble with the border outlines on the NOAA raster MBTiles and quilting.
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 09:37   #169

Capt. Don, Sorry, I was not aware of the NOAA mbtiles being available!
Old 16-01-2022, 11:07   #170

Quote:
Capt. Don, Sorry, I was not aware of the NOAA mbtiles being available!
I think MBTiles and OpenCPN's support is great. MBTiles combine 100's of images contained in the KAP files. Having several different charts, it is easier to manage, copy, and backup one MBTile than the KAP directories.

I guess the only downside is the size of the individual MBTile file.

I was trying to switch over to the NOAA MBTiles and delete the NOAA RNC chart folder. I'm hoping this is resolved in the next release; otherwise, I'll keep OpenCPN 5.2 and/or the NOAA RNC charts on my laptop.
Old 16-01-2022, 13:39   #171

Capt. Don,
Did you see Walt Knowles suggestion? ...but perhaps this was just for ENC & Raster problems.....

Quote:
The fix was straightforward: on ENC and raster charts, remove the directories from the data bases and restart OpenCPN (simply rebuilding the database didn't seem to get the job done). Then point back at the directories and rebuild the databases. Normal tiling was restored.

Perhaps Dave will pick up on this issue...
Old 16-01-2022, 15:34   #172

Hi Rick,
Since Walt's suggestion was related to oeSENC, I hadn't tried deleting the charts folder, restarting, etc. I thought it was a good idea, so I did several iterations of,

- Delete charts directory (c:\charts)
- Remove all the chart folder/subfolders from OpenCPN
- Copied previously downloaded NOAA MBTiles
- Added chart folder, rescan, rebuild, restart,...
- Deleted NOAA MBTiles, Chart updater, download, rescan, rebuild, restart

You can see the blank sections where there are overlapping raster charts. As mentioned before, I believe this has to do with the physical size of the chart image vs. the border size. Somehow OpenCPN 5.6 is using the physical size and not the chart size.
Don
Old 17-01-2022, 05:10   #173

Don, Dave is backed up but he said he will get to it. Can you enter this problem into Tracker please, and refer to your first post here? Thanks.
Old 17-01-2022, 06:54   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Make sure "Enable Touchscreen Interface" checkbox in Options->User Interface is NOT checked, you should then be able to drag the toolbar anywhere using the top hamburger icon.

Thanks. That works.

I wonder if that change also enables a very handy thing, which is I couldn't before, but after turning off touchscreen, can, now: go to the ENC data of a landmark and now copy it so I can paste it in the description of a Waypoint.
Ratty1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 07:02   #175

Quote:
Don, Dave is backed up but he said he will get to it. Can you enter this problem into Tracker please, and refer to your first post here? Thanks.
No problem; however, I am unable to register for an account on the tracker. I never received the confirmation email.
Old 17-01-2022, 07:12   #176

Some settings do not appear to be saved when exiting OpenCPN. Windows 10, Dell 7220 with internal GPS. Units seem to always to back to metric from Nautical Miles and Knots. Dragging the toolbar works (thanks for previous answer) but defaults back to the center of the screen. Any ideas to Save settings?
Ratty1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 07:45   #177

Boat: Phantom 19

All these settings are persistent. The only thing that makes some of the settings return to their default values after a restart as required by the respective regulations is the Inland Ecdis mode. Which you should disable in Options->User Interface unless you are a vessel required to use it.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 10:13   #178

Can someone advice how to upgrade from 5.2.4 to 5.6.0 on raspberrypi?
I tried it following the OpenCPN manual but that does not wordk because Apt-Key Deprecated.

I tried to get a valid public key from OprnPGP Keyserver (keyserver.ubuntu .com) but without success.

Below a snapshot of the errors I get:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get update
Err:1 http://ppa.launchpad.net/opencpn/ubuntu bionic InRelease
403 Forbidden [IP: 2001:67c:1560:8008::19 80]
Hit:2 Index of /raspbian bullseye InRelease
Hit:3 Index of /debian bullseye InRelease
Reading package lists... Done
E: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/opencpn/ubu...onic/InRelease 403 Forbidden [IP: 2001:67c:1560:8008::19 80]
E: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/opencpn/ubuntu bionic InRelease' is not signed.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

Who can help how to proceed and get V5.6.0 installed on my RPI 4B?

Regards,
Wim
Wim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 10:33   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
No problem; however, I am unable to register for an account on the tracker. I never received the confirmation email.
Capt Don, I will make the entry for you. No problem.

I also used Pavel's Chartdownloader and downloaded (3) 500mb NOAA mbtiles for NY NJ, Ma and ME and have added the chart path, and then made a Chart Group for mbtile. BTW the entire (big) chart database was rebuilt when the download was completed including the mbtiles I guess. It seems to work fine, zooming in and out, so I don't know what the issue is. Have you tried downloading another area?

See https://opencpn.org/flyspray/index.p...s&task_id=2818
Old 18-01-2022, 00:25   #180

Boat: Najad 34

Wim...
It seems you're on bullseye?
If so you should get "focal" instead of "bionic".
Check if you update list for OCPN is in /etc/apt/sources.list and change bionic to focal. See more here:
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...spberrypi_rpi2

But there can be a better work method for this. Any Linux guru may correct me.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn