Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2022, 07:45   #181

Re: OpenCPN 5.6.0 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Capt Don, I will make the entry for you. No problem.

I also used Pavel's Chartdownloader and downloaded (3) 500mb NOAA mbtiles for NY NJ, Ma and ME and have added the chart path, and then made a Chart Group for mbtile. BTW the entire (big) chart database was rebuilt when the download was completed including the mbtiles I guess. It seems to work fine, zooming in and out, so I don't know what the issue is. Have you tried downloading another area?

See https://opencpn.org/flyspray/index.p...s&task_id=2818
Very strange -- To confirm a complete new install --- I uninstalled OpenCPN 5.6, deleted ProgramData, downloaded and installed latest OpenCPN 5.6. Like you, I downloaded CA and NY. Verified CA and NY show the same behavior (NY screen shots). You can see the white chart borders starting at 10mi scale.

To reiterate, OpenCPN 5.2 properly shows the layered charts (my laptop has 5.2 also with downloaded NY NOAA charts.

Thanks for updating the tracker.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NY.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	325.2 KB
ID:	251459   Click image for larger version

Name:	NY2.png
Views:	41
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	251460  

Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 10:52   #182

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Capt Don,
That is a lot of uninstalling and installing. Sorry. I note that the white spaces you show are normal as far as I can determine. They are due to the need to splice various scaled maps together as you zoom in and out, which is actually very smooth as compared to earlier versions. It really is quite good. I will give you some examples from my screen, for comparision. Keep in mind that the inset charts are relocated to patch on top of the main mbtiles so there will be some discontinuities at certain zoom levels, but it really is pretty good.

If you want to continue to discuss this on the forum I would strongly suggest that you make a new thread and post in that, so we don't overwhelm this main thread. Don't worry others will see the new thread.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot (193).jpg
Views:	36
Size:	433.0 KB
ID:	251471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (192).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	439.8 KB
ID:	251472  

Name:	Screenshot (191).jpg
Views:	36
Size:	449.6 KB
ID:	251473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (190).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	438.0 KB
ID:	251474  

rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 13:03   #183

Boat: Amel Sharki

To make a new thread for any bug in OpenCPN 5.6.0 is not a good idea at all. The problems found in v5.6.0 should discussed here and bundled here. Perhaps even someone wake up and fixed this version finaly.
CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 14:53   #184

Rick,
I don't agree that 5.6 is better. If you look at your "Cape Porpoise" example, you see the white border around the more detailed chart. Attached is the same example under OpenCPN 5.2 where the charts overlay properly.

Yes, I agree and understand that at different zoom levels there might be a slight difference in the transition; however, there's not the white border blocking the larger-scale chart detail.

If you look at my original California/Catalina Island example, there's a huge blank space between the charts. Imagine navigating through the white border area to the Isthmus..... OpenCPN 5.2 had this correct.

Please let me know if you or the development team need further information. I have clean installs of both OpenCPN 5.2 and OpenCPN 5.6 on separate computers. I don't know what more to add to this discussion, other than OpenCPN 5.2 works properly (in my opinion) and 5.6 is using the full size chart dimensions and not the inner chart detail area.

That's it for now,
Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Chart3.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	415.1 KB
ID:	251481  
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 15:08   #185

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Capt Don, I actually did not make a comparison to the previous version, however it certainly looks like the situation could be improved.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2022, 09:57   #186

Boat: Lagoon 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
5 December, 2021
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The OpenCPN Development Team is proud to announce the release of OpenCPN Version 5.6.0.
OpenCPN Version 5.6.0 is available for immediate download.

This version is a feature upgrade and maintenance release of OpenCPN.

OpenCPN is a cross platform electronic navigation system (ECS) supporting a variety of cartography standards and hardware interface protocols. Versions are available for linux, Windows, Raspberry Pi, and MacOS computer architectures.

Some features of OpenCPN include:
- Quilted Raster(RNC) and Vector(ENC) digital chart display.
- Support for MBTiles photo and geographical chart overlays.
- Industry standard GPS receiver interfacing, with "moving map" on-screen vessel tracking.
- AIS receiver interfacing with configurable target safety monitoring.
- Integrated Route, Track, and Waypoint database, with industry standard Import/Export capabilities.
- Tide and Current prediction, with on-screen overlay of predicted data.
- Broad International Language support.
- PlugIn architecture allowing on-going third-party functional enhancements.

OpenCPN is released under the GPLV2 license. The executable program and its source code are available for immediate, free, and unlimited download from github.com.

As a successor to OpenCPN Version 5.2.4, OpenCPN Version 5.6.0 contains new features and enhanced functions.
Among them are:

- Incorporate extensive user feedback to resolve various UI flaws and functional errors.

- Support extended display resolutions and modes, including Dark Mode on supported platforms.

- Extend Plugin system program interface, enabling new new classes of Plugins with enhanced features.

- Increased performance in all areas, particularly when using OpenGL graphics acceleration.

- Improved reliability over all supported platforms.

We hope you enjoy the new features of OpenCPN Version 5.6.0, and look forward to your continued feedback.

Download OpenCPN Version 5.6.0 at
https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/r.../Release_5.6.0

For Plugins, documentation, and other useful information, visit our support website at:
https://opencpn.org

The OpenCPN Development Team
Dave Register, Lead Developer
Hi Dave,

Attached is the screenshot for the Bluetooth connection under OpenCPN 5.2.4. It shows all Bluetooth connections available. Under 5.6.0, the roll-down menu is blank and you cannot select any Bluetooth ports.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
MacOS Monterey V12.1
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 07.12.33.pdf (674.1 KB, 39 views)
kevinvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 00:30   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvh View Post
Hi Dave,

Attached is the screenshot for the Bluetooth connection under OpenCPN 5.2.4. It shows all Bluetooth connections available. Under 5.6.0, the roll-down menu is blank and you cannot select any Bluetooth ports.

16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
MacOS Monterey V12.1
OK Dave - appears that you fixed a lot more than the CM93 tearing on the Mac:
- no tearing when scrolling in CM93
- charts stay visible when Chart Quilting is turned off
- Bluetooth device is now selectable in the roll-down menu, and my Bluetooth GPS device works with OpenCPN 5.6.x.

I will keep testing and let you know if any further issues popup. but looks good so far.

I wonder if the previous issues were fixed by me creating a new user under System Preferences/Users & Groups and installing 5.6.x there, or if the fix was done from your revisions???
Old 20-01-2022, 06:20   #188
Marine Service Provider

kevin...
Thanks for the report.
The corrections are almost certainly due to some changes I made in OpenGL handling of cm93. The common elements to reproduce the "tearing" bug are: Retina display on MacOS Monterey. Not directly related to processor type (x86 or M1). The Bluetooth bug was corrected by simple code change, MacOS only.

Although we are not in an official Beta test period, other MacOS Monterey users may like to try this quick fix as well. It is suitable for everyday use, if desired.

https://dl.cloudsmith.io/public/davi....6ab733c73.pkg

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 15:51   #189

Quote:
kevin...
Thanks for the report.
The corrections are almost certainly due to some changes I made in OpenGL handling of cm93. The common elements to reproduce the "tearing" bug are: Retina display on MacOS Monterey. Not directly related to processor type (x86 or M1). The Bluetooth bug was corrected by simple code change, MacOS only.

Although we are not in an official Beta test period, other MacOS Monterey users may like to try this quick fix as well. It is suitable for everyday use, if desired.

https://dl.cloudsmith.io/public/davi....6ab733c73.pkg

Thanks
Dave
Hi Dave,

Sad to report that I am still having issues with OpenCPN 5.6.1 on my MBP. Thought everything was fixed by 5.6.1 until the following issues reappeared:
- After starting and stopping OpenCPN 5.6.1 an irregular number of times, none of the chart images will display and the chart area remains blank (whether Quilting is enabled or not) - CM93, Navionics, MBTiles GE/ESRI/Bing. The charts have to be removed in Options/Charts and reinstalled for the charts to work again. Then I have to setup Chart Groups again. After reinstalling the charts, the same thing happens after a short time. Cannot continue to use 5.6.1 under these circumstances.
- '"OpenCPN.app" would like to record this computer's screen' keeps popping up when the app is started. Deleting 'OpenCPN.app' from the Mac System Preferences/Security & Privacy/Privacy/Screen Recording, just sees it reappear again in Privacy/Screen Recording - very annoying. Same thing happens with a clean install of OpenCPN 5.2.4, but it never reappears after "Deny" is clicked after the initial install. This does not happen with any other app. See my Post #154 for additional observations and comments.

Let me know if I can be of any further help with testing.
Old 20-01-2022, 17:42   #190
Marine Service Provider

Kevin...
Most concerned with you first point.
The second point ("would like to record this computer's screen") is annoying, and something to do with wxWidgets and MacOS privacy. Certainly nothing that OCPN does. Strange that it now seems to happen on O5.2.4. btw, google reports that OCPN is not the only app seeing this. Absolutely no help from Apple dev groups, as expected...

Back to the first issue:
"After starting and stopping OpenCPN 5.6.1 an irregular number of times, none of the chart images will display"
1.When this happens, are your groups still setup?
2.When this happens, what happens if you do Settings->Charts->Rebuild chart database?
3. Next time this happens, stop immediately and please post/send a copy of the OCPN logfile at that point.

Thanks
Dave
Old 20-01-2022, 17:56   #191

Quote:
Kevin...
Most concerned with you first point.
The second point ("would like to record this computer's screen") is annoying, and something to do with wxWidgets and MacOS privacy. Certainly nothing that OCPN does. Strange that it now seems to happen on O5.2.4. btw, google reports that OCPN is not the only app seeing this. Absolutely no help from Apple dev groups, as expected...

Back to the first issue:
"After starting and stopping OpenCPN 5.6.1 an irregular number of times, none of the chart images will display"
1.When this happens, are your groups still setup?
2.When this happens, what happens if you do Settings->Charts->Rebuild chart database?
3. Next time this happens, stop immediately and please post/send a copy of the OCPN logfile at that point.

Thanks
Dave
1. The Chart Groups headings remain along the top of Options/Charts/Chart Groups/Chart Groups, but each is empty.
2. Don't know -I need to install 5.6.1 again and test (had some critical work to do with 5.2.4 so installed it again).
3. Will do.

How can I setup parallel installations, ie 5.2.4 and 5.6.1, so that they run independently of each other? Setting up a new user under System Preferences/Users & Groups doesn't do it.
Old 20-01-2022, 19:34   #192
Marine Service Provider

Kevin...
You can have two versions of OCPN present in Applications folder. Just rename the Release version(5.6.0) of OpenCPN to, say, OpenCPN56Release. Then install OCPN 5.6.1, and rename it also ( e.g. OpenCPN561). Open whichever one you want to look at.

The two versions will share the same config files, so not safe to run both at the same time.
Also, upgrading or downgrading OCPN does not alter the config files. You only get virgin config files when you install OCPN from scratch.

Thanks
Dave
Old 20-01-2022, 19:37   #193
Marine Service Provider

Kevin...
Regarding the "would like to record...", please see the comment on Flyspray issue FS#2810.

Dave
Old 20-01-2022, 20:15   #194

Quote:
Kevin...
You can have two versions of OCPN present in Applications folder. Just rename the Release version(5.6.0) of OpenCPN to, say, OpenCPN56Release. Then install OCPN 5.6.1, and rename it also ( e.g. OpenCPN561). Open whichever one you want to look at.

The two versions will share the same config files, so not safe to run both at the same time.
Also, upgrading or downgrading OCPN does not alter the config files. You only get virgin config files when you install OCPN from scratch.

Thanks
Dave
Thanks. I since worked out that if I use two different Users and renamed each OpenCPN app as you suggested, then I can seperate the config files and keep them relevant to each version.

Now got everything setup to await 5.6.1 to misbehave itself. I will post the log and opencpn.ini files when the charts are lost.
Old 21-01-2022, 12:50   #195

Quote:
Kevin...

Thanks
Dave
Hi Dave - I spoke too soon. Continuing Issues With OpenCPN And macOS Monterey. For the sake of completeness and for the benefit of others, I have repeated some information you already know.

I have OpenCPN 5.6.1 installed on a new User Account on my MBP and I have named the application file OpenCPN561.app. I have a second installation on another User Account and it is called OpenCPN524.app. This allows me to keep the OpenCPN preference files seperate and specific to each version of OpenCPN for testing. I have been having issues with 5.6.1 where the installed charts randomly "disappear", and they have to be deleted from Options/Charts/Chart Files, and then reinstalled.

Here is what happened this morning:
1. I opened OpenCPN5.2.4 and the Chart failed to display, and a message briefly displayed on the screen saying that the ESRI chart group was empty.
2. Went to Options/Charts/Chart Files and all my installed charts were listed.
3. Went to Options/Charts/Chart Groups and checked each Chart Group - all were empty.
4. Tried "Scan Charts and Update Database", "OK" - still no charts.
5. Tried "Force Full Database Rebuild", "OK" - still no charts.
6. Removed each chart under Options/Charts/Chart Files and clicked "OK", then closed and reopened OpenCPN524 to save opencpn.ini.
7. Opened Options/Charts/Chart Files and "Add Directory" for each chart file.
8. Clicked OK and the charts were installed and displayed on the screen.
9. Quit OpenCPN524 to save the opencpn.ini file and went to Options/Charts/Chart Groups. All my Chart Group headings were still present, but each group was empty.
10. Populated each Chart Group and clicked "OK" to exit Options.
11. Control-clicked on screen and confirmed that Chart Groups was working.
12. Quit OpenCPN524 to save the opencpn.ini file and reopened OpenCPN5.2.4 - everything working normally again.

(Note: If I don't close and reopen OpenCPN to save the ini file, then it often crashes and I lose my changes.)

Now, I logged out of the current (5.2.4) User Account and logged into my new OpenCPN561 User Account. To my surprise, when I opened OpenCPN561.app, the charts were also missing. I had to follow the same procedure described above to get OpenCPN561 working properly again.

I have never had this issue with OpenCPN 5.2.4 prior to installing OpenCPN 5.6.1 (and 5.6.0 prior). I don't know how one installation could effect the other, considering each app has a different name and the config files are isolated by each User Account.

Log files and config files are enclosed in the attached zip file for OpenCPN561. xxxx_00.xxx signifies config files prior to failure, and xxxx_01.xxx signifies the files after failure.

My MBP details are:
16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
MacOS Monterey V12.1

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn