Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2023, 13:07   #1

Boat: 40 Mainship Trawler/various sail
OpenCPN 5.8.0/NMEA 2K/SignalK

Breaking previous messages from the general 5.8.0 release thread into one more specific as to not hijack.

I plan on having a wireless network on the boat and having the N2K data be 'available' to devices on the network in some combination of wired/wifi. With a usb device ( YDNU-02 suggested below) I assume the intent is that each computer would have to use its own adapter. Unlike OpenCpn, signal K does support the YDEN-02, so it seems if I want to use the network approach described above I may have to stick with Signal K as an n2K/opencpn gateway (or port the signalk yden-02 support to opencpn which I'm too much of a newbie to do that this point).

n2KToEthernet<->router<->1 or more computers<->opencpn

or
n2KToEthernet<->router<->1 or more computers<->signal K<->opencpn

I'd prefer the simpler first case, but using signal K as a bridge/n2KToOpencpn converter is how I'll proceed to get the n2K data accessible from multiple networked computers (i.e., "MFD's"). BTW...I'm ahead of myself here because I haven't tried any of this stuff yet except for signal k on my home pc playing back an N2K logfile and serving as a source for openCpn - therefore if any of this is gibberish I apologize. I'm assuming that each computer would run the signal k server and each server would be able to connect to the single YDEN-02, or similarly directly with openCPN if it were to support that device. Does this plan to use the YDEN-02 on a dedicated 'boat network' (with signalK for now since opencpn does not support) seem like a reasonable approach? Does/is it planned for openCPN support any ethernet gateways?

Previous relevant messages:***

REDZ...
"Does opencpn 5.8 allow me to remove SignalK from the equation and input/output NMEA 2K data via the YDEN-02 (or similar) directly into openCPN?'

Yes, indeed. We recommend the YDNU-02, which is a N2k<->USB interface, directly supported by OpenCPN 5.8.

We do not yet support the YDEN device, which is a proprietary N2K<->ethernet interface.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is online now Report Post

---Quote (Originally by REDZn-HT)---
I've been using opencpn for years simply as a route planning tool on my home PC, but am about to start using it on the boat in real time. The first thing I noticed in your release notes is:

"- Integrated NMEA 2000 network capability, supporting a variety of popular bus interface adapters"

Prior to reading this, my plan was to use signalK simply as a means of getting my nmea 2000 data into opencpn without having to "down-convert" everything to nmea0183. I was going to do:

Yacht Devices YDEN-02<->SignalK<->openCPN

Does opencpn 5.8 allow me to remove SignalK from the equation and input/output NMEA 2K data via the YDEN-02 (or similar) directly into openCPN?! I was unable to find the documentation of this new feature .....can someone comment and also point me to any info.

Thanks,
--Howie
---End Quote---
The YDEN-02 allows you to not use SignalK. Many people use SignalK, I think, simply because they don't realize they don't need it. SignalK has some advanced features that are useful, but it isn't needed for most boats at all. IMHO, SignalK is too complicated to setup and get working unless you need some of the advanced features.
REDZn-HT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 13:32   #2

Boat: 40 Mainship Trawler/various sail
Re: OpenCPN 5.8.0/NMEA 2K/SignalK

Wholybee suggested using something like: YDWG-2 which is a N2k wifi gateway. I shied away from that approach as I felt that I wanted the flexibility to experiment with and mix/match wired and wifi connections and wanted the ability to use my own router/setup my own network. If that device is supported by OpenCPN, perhaps I should reconsider as it removes a lot of complexity -certainly to get started (it removes the hardware/power/etc for setting up the network, removes signal k, etc).
REDZn-HT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 13:37   #3
Marine Service Provider

REDZ...

OpenCPN 5.8.0 does NOT support N2K input over ethernet. It is on our roadmap, once this semi-standard becomes more widely documented and verified.
So I would not recommend the YDEN for OpenCPN 5.8

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 13:37   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

What *exactly*, do you want to accomplish?

There are many products, like the YDEN-02, that will, connect the NMEA2000 bus through a built-in NMEA0183 converter to OpenCPN. I prefer the wifi version, the YDWG-02, which then lets Navionics or OpenCPN on a tablet connect as well. I can even control my autopilot from OpenCPN on my tablet, wirelessly. SignalK is not needed for any of that.

Do you have a specific need for *NATIVE* NMEA2000 to get into OpenCPN. I have to assume not, because if you used SignalK, ultimately SignalK would be converting it to NMEA0183 to get it into OpenCPN. There are a few valid reasons to have n2k in OpenCPN, but not for basic monitoring of instruments, driving an autopilot, or any of the common uses.

And also with SignalK. There are valid reasons for it. SignalK is a *REPLACEMENT* for NMEA2000. Being 20+ years old, NMEA2000 is seen as limited and not extensible. SignalK is a proposed next-generation protocol, to compete with the NMEA proposed OneNet. So, if you use SignalK, you are converting from NMEA2000, to SignalK, to NMEA0183 (or possibly back to NMEA2000 if you use that feature of OpenCPN 5.8.0)

The SignalK server has plugins to bring in Engine Data, Victron Data, sensor data from non-NMEA sensors, etc. Most of that would not be recognized by OpenCPN, but if you are building a completely connected and automated boat, you could have all that data in one data stream, to be used by other software other than OpenCPN.

If you are only interested in getting the data that is already existing on your NMEA2000 bus into OpenCPN, I strongly suggest skipping SignalK. Something like the YDEN-02 would make all that data available as 0183 data and work just fine. I expect that soon OpenCPN will be able to accept native n2k data from more devices, but honestly, it won't bring more features or capability.
Old 14-04-2023, 13:42   #5

Also, the YDWG-02 can function as a client, so it will connect wirelessly to your wifi router.
I have enough wires on my boat, I don't need anymore.
Old 14-04-2023, 18:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Also, the YDWG-02 can function as a client, so it will connect wirelessly to your wifi router.
I have enough wires on my boat, I don't need anymore.

Batteries, solar, history of usage, tank levels, good alarm system, digital switching (control of your windlass, power winches, bow thruster, navigation lights), temperature control of a/c, fridge, freezer, heater, hot water tank, digital switching of navigation lights, control of fog horn. I can go on. OpenCPN can’t do. And those things are parts of living on a boat
mgrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 19:30   #7

Boat: Phantom 19

All of that OpenCPN can do. Via Signal K and the new DashboardSK plugin.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 20:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
All of that OpenCPN can do. Via Signal K and the new DashboardSK plugin.

Where is DashboardSK plugin for 5.8.0?
Is it in plugin downloader? Why that functionality is not part of OpenCPN and requires SignalK?
Old 14-04-2023, 20:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrouch View Post
Batteries, solar, history of usage, tank levels, good alarm system, digital switching (control of your windlass, power winches, bow thruster, navigation lights), temperature control of a/c, fridge, freezer, heater, hot water tank, digital switching of navigation lights, control of fog horn. I can go on. OpenCPN can’t do. And those things are parts of living on a boat
Did you read my other comment?
Old 14-04-2023, 21:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Did you read my other comment?

Yes I did.
Old 15-04-2023, 02:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrouch View Post
Where is DashboardSK plugin for 5.8.0?
Is it in plugin downloader?
Yes.
Quote:
Why that functionality is not part of OpenCPN and requires SignalK?
Because OpenCPN is a chartplotter, not a display for your washing machine. And this plugin requires Signal K because I decided so. If you don't like it, write your own that does not.
Old 15-04-2023, 05:19   #12

Boat: Amel Sharki

Spoken so by the typical arrogant developer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Because OpenCPN is a chartplotter, not a display for your washing machine. And this plugin requires Signal K because I decided so. If you don't like it, write your own that does not.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2023, 05:22   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
My dearest friend, even you can finally develop something and show us how it should be done instead of these useless posts.
Old 15-04-2023, 07:01   #14

Quote:
Ungrateful and hypercritical users of open-source software are fortunately not all that typical.
Old 15-04-2023, 14:59   #15

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:

That as far as I know is doing this for free

Want more features that aren’t on the roadmap or are way in the backlog then feel free to write

Edit
You know there are other projects that can do all that other monitoring

People use them for household and also rv systems monitoring

Tags
enc, nmea, opencpn