Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2023, 14:25   #1

OpenCPN 5.8.2 - GPS Odometer not there

The GPS Odometer plug in that I have been using does not appear on the list of included plug ins now that i have 5.8.2 running. I installed the Dashboard plug in hoping to use the Trip Log function of that but that does not appear to work (don't see any way to turn it on & it just shows a "-"_).

I would really like the old GPS Odometer. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Larry Freedman
larryfreedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2023, 23:44   #2

Re: OpenCPN 5.8.2 - GPS Odometer not there

Larry,
what system are you using? Win, Unix ....

Om my Ubuntu 20.04 i can find version 0.6.6.5 in the plugin catalog.

A later version supporting socketCAN/NMEA2000 is in the pipeline but has got stuck due to matters out of my control.

LennartG
LennartG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2023, 04:40   #3

Sorry, I know I should have said that. I am using the Windows version with Win 11 on an HP laptop.
Old 21-05-2023, 04:53   #4

Larry,

I don't have a Win 11 system myself but, as far as I know, it has been there so it must have been removed for some (obscure?) reason. It shall be there and is compatible with v5.8 upwards.

Anybody else having the same problem?

/LennartG
Old 21-05-2023, 06:43   #5

Boat: Phantom 19

Lennart...

The odometer plugin will need a slight update and rebuild, the final O5.8 on Windows is built against wxWidgets 3.2.2.1 and the plugins need to do it as well and provide the target tuple msvc-wx32 instead of msvc as currently stated in https://github.com/OpenCPN/plugins/b...14393-MSVC.xml.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2023, 09:49   #6

Nohal,
that makes sense, fact is that I have already updated properly. Thing is, as I wrote above, it got stuck. Hopefully the updated version will be available shortly.

I will send you a PM shortly explaining what that is all about.

Thanks!

/LennartG
Old 21-05-2023, 22:46   #7

GPS Odometer for version 5.8 and up should now be available on all platforms but Android (and Ubuntu 22.04?).
No reason for users with older OpenCPN versions to upgrade.

Thank you Dave and Pavel for your assistance, much appreciated!
/LennartG
Old 22-05-2023, 13:47   #8

Thanks for the fast response on this. How would I get the updated GPS Odometer? The download page says this plug in is included with OpenCPN and does not appear for download on its own.

Larry
Old 23-05-2023, 03:58   #9

Larry, this plugin. like all other standard plugins, ar installed and updated using the plugin manager.
Please see this page, although perhaps slightly outdated, still valid as an answer to your question:
https://opencpn-manuals.github.io/ma...n-install.html

/LennartG
Old 02-08-2023, 10:37   #10

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello LennartG,

Having noticed that a new version of the GPS Odometer plugin was accessible in the master catalog, I tested this plugin today with OpenCPN 584 under W10.

I noticed that the display of the main window did not allow to read correctly most of the items in my language, namely French. Even enlarging the window this was not possible. I have therefore made today, to the French translation, on the Crowdin, of the language file, modifications in order to shorten several translations. See screenshots below.

These translations will only be visible to users if a new version of OpenCPN and/or the GPS Odometer plugin is released.

BUT :
There are still two items for which there is a problem:

- Reset Trip( Voyage : RàZ) : This item is displayed centered, which is not necessary. A left alignment would be preferable

- Start/Stop Leg (Start/Stop segment): This item on the one hand is displayed centrally. And on the other hand, the space available to make it readable is not sufficient (despite the reduction in length that I brought to it in French.)

Based on my experience with the translations of OpenCPN and its plugins, I think there are other languages for which this kind of problem will arise or already arise.

Gilletarom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-08-02 19_06_21-.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	279077   Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-08-02 19_27_25-GPS_Odometer_fr_FR.po • opencpn - Poedit.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	279078  

Name:	2023-08-02 19_35_11-GPS_Odometer_fr_FR.po • opencpn - Poedit.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	279079  
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 23:49   #11

Gilletarom,

Thanks for the observations that leaves me a bit confused. Is this something new for 5.8.4?

The current translations has been there for years and never heard these comments before. Some of the texts are however customizable from the settings menu:
1/ Titles: 'Title' character setting
2/ Values: 'Data' character setting
3/ Speedometer numbering: 'Small' character setting
4/ Digital speed notation: 'Description' character setting

The button texts are however a different matter as these are defined in vxWidgets wxButton and the seting of wxFont. Changing this setting will likely affect more than just the GPS Odometer and is hence a rather dangerous concept.

Just a simple idea that I have not had a chance to test yet, what about splitting the text into two lines with \n ? It should work in Linux but I have no Windows system to test on.

Regards
Lennart
Old 03-08-2023, 01:21   #12

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennartG View Post
Gilletarom,

Thanks for the observations that leaves me a bit confused. Is this something new for 5.8.4?

The current translations has been there for years and never heard these comments before. Some of the texts are however customizable from the settings menu:
1/ Titles: 'Title' character setting
2/ Values: 'Data' character setting
3/ Speedometer numbering: 'Small' character setting
4/ Digital speed notation: 'Description' character setting

The button texts are however a different matter as these are defined in vxWidgets wxButton and the seting of wxFont. Changing this setting will likely affect more than just the GPS Odometer and is hence a rather dangerous concept.

Just a simple idea that I have not had a chance to test yet, what about splitting the text into two lines with \n ? It should work in Linux but I have no Windows system to test on.

Regards
Lennart
Hello Lennart, I have to apologize to you.

Indeed, you say that the translation was present for a long time. I am the translator who wrote the first version of the translation. I usually, as soon as a new plugin is proposed, to set up a translation. As a result, it may not be appropriate:

- Either because the French translation contains items that are too long, as was the case here (this is due to the French language),
- Either because my first understanding of how the plugin works is wrong.
It is true that I waited far too long to redo a test of your plugin. And I apologize again.

On the other hand, note that my test only concerns the visual aspect. However, rightly or wrongly, I suppose that it should not be necessary for a "normal" user, therefore, with good eyesight, to modify the size of the characters.

Regarding the proposal to use "\n", I had thought about it. But, from experience, it doesn't work with all developers. So I didn't try.

Finally, regarding how it works, for now, know that I can't get it to work. I would be grateful if you could tell me if the use of the OpenCPN VDR plugin makes it possible to test, apart from real navigation, with an old file obtained with the NMEA 183 data logger, the proper functioning of your plugin.

For the moment, with reading of a VDR file by the player of the VDR plugin, only the displayed duration changes and nothing else. See the screenshot if attached.

Gilletarom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2023-08-03 10_02_58-OpenCPN 5.8.4-0.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	279108  
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 03:55   #13

Gilletarom,

The GPS Odometer requires, for NMEA0183, valid GPS data and that is not present when playing a VDR file. The whole idea is to use GPS data to determine speed and signal quality.

I myself use gpsfeed+ for testing purposes, a very simple tool but sufficient for this purpose if run in square mode to get various speeds. You also need to edit the OpenCPN configuration file -> [PlugIns/GPS-Odometer] and change to 'SatsRequired=4'. My gpsfeed+ configuration file is attached for information, just remove the '.pdf' extension.

I will play with various options to see if I can get the character sizes and \n to work for the buttons.

/Lennart
Attached Files
File Type: pdf gpsfeed+.cfg.zip.pdf (871 Bytes, 16 views)
Old 03-08-2023, 08:00   #14
Marine Service Provider

Lennart...
Have you considered the outstanding PullRequest to add Ubuntu 22.04 (Jammy) support for GPS-Odometer?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 09:08   #15

Dave,
have to admit I hadn't noticed. It will be pulled in once I've solved the other details I'm working on.
Thanks for the reminder.
/Lennart

Tags
enc, gps, opencpn