Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2024, 23:48   #1

Location: Staging in Honolulu before sailing to Vancouver this summer
Boat: Southern Cross 35
OpenCPN 5.8.4 OpenGL stopped working !

OpenCPN 5.8.4
Window 11
New Levono IdeaPad Slim 5 16IRU9 with Intel(R) Graphics

W11 out of the box, OpenCPN was installed with a set of MBTile Charts copies from my old Laptop. All was working fine for a few hours and then, OpenCPN stopped displaying those charts.

OpenCPN manual does mention some issues with OpenGL and Microsoft, so I have updated the Graphics Card Driver with the latest Intel...no avail...same issue.

Why was it working fine and then it stopped?

The only change between working and not working is an W11 automatic update... but this Update did not made any change to the Graphic Card Driver.

According to GPU Cap Viewer, the Intel(R) Grahics Card supports OpenGL.

The sole purpose of this new Laptop is to run OpenCPN... I am not in a happy place now with this issue... Last resort, I will drop W11 and install a Linux OS and see if this works... but before committing to this plan that might not solve the issue, I would appreciate hearing from anyone who have a good understanding of the OpenGL issues on W11 to help me solve this impasse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-21 054943.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	290104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-21 064607.png
Views:	32
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	290105  

Old 21-05-2024, 00:36   #2

Re: OpenCPN 5.8.4 OpenGL stopped working !

UPDATE
I found that OpenGL has been mysteriously disactivated in opencpn.ini !!!!
After enabling it again, the MBTile are being displayed again just fine.
OpenGL=1
DisableOpenGL=0
Old 21-05-2024, 05:44   #3

Boat: Najad 34

Serge..
I may have seen the same sometimes. I think it's a bug in o 5.8.4 corrected in coming 5.10.
Good report that others may be able to benefit from.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 10:12   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Serge..
I may have seen the same sometimes. I think it's a bug in o 5.8.4 corrected in coming 5.10.
Good report that others may be able to benefit from.

It just happen again on a short overnight between two islands in Hawaii !
Opencpn stopped displaying the mbtiles charts and OpenGL was disables on opencpn.ini

The value off "OpenGL entry" in opencpn.ini had to be manually edited to re-enable OpenGL and mbtiles charts to be displayed.

Any suggestion for a temporary fix before 5.10
Old 01-06-2024, 21:07   #5

Boat: St. Francis 44 Mk II (Catamaran)
Send a message via Skype™ to SoggyPaws

I have seen this reported recently by several users. Somehow this keeps getting turned off. I don't seem to have the problem on either W10 or W11. The W11 machine is always on, but rebooted every night, latest windows updates and graphic driver updates. But there have been a rash of reports on the OpenCPN Users FB group. Since 5.8.4 isn't new, can't imagine why this has just started happening (in the last month).
SoggyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 14:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyPaws View Post
I have seen this reported recently by several users. Somehow this keeps getting turned off. I don't seem to have the problem on either W10 or W11. The W11 machine is always on, but rebooted every night, latest windows updates and graphic driver updates. But there have been a rash of reports on the OpenCPN Users FB group. Since 5.8.4 isn't new, can't imagine why this has just started happening (in the last month).

Thank you for your report.

It happened again this morning...totally annoying considering some users like my friend currently using OpenCPN under W11 does not have the computer skills to edit the configuration file each time this happens.

By the way, once should not have to reboot daily W11 just to keep it working... But just to be clear, rebooting does not reset the opencpn.ini openGP settings.
Old 04-06-2024, 06:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirare View Post
By the way, once should not have to reboot daily W11 just to keep it working... But just to be clear, rebooting does not reset the opencpn.ini openGP settings.
I think my problem on my current machine is not related to Windows 11. I think it is due to a cheap Chinese mini pc that has faulty memory. More than about 8 hours of run time, and Explorer (and several other things) stop working. I don't think this is a Windows issue. So I automatically reboot the machine just after midnight.

I don't have the technical skills, nor the time right now, to track it down precisely. OpenCPN is pretty flakey on this machine too. But IMHO there would be more people screaming about W11 if it were really a W11 problem. When I get unlimited internet in a quiet (non-navigational setting), I'll upgrade one of my lknown-stable aptops to W11 and see how it does in a 24x7 runtime environment with OpenCPN and node-red (running our electrical system monitoring).
Old 28-06-2024, 07:51   #8

Same issue here. Been running OpenCPN (latest) for past 4 months with MBTiles and no problem. All of the sudden yesterday I receive the yellow alert message in lower-left saying MBTiles requires OpenGL. The option to activate it inside OpenCPN is disabled. I'll try looking in the config file now and see if that solves it. Thanks for posting this!

After looking in my Program Files (x86) \ OpenCPN there is no opencpn.ini. I only have the application file, opencpn.png, and opencpn-cmd (showing hidden files).

I'll try a reinstall
captNordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2024, 08:38   #9

Boat: Morgan 382

I have found it really important to have the latest drivers. In my case (an HP with Intel Graphics) upgrading from a driver that was 3 months old to one that was 1 week old fixed it. A computer "out of the box" seldom has the latest drivers, and it may be months, if ever, that Windows update carries them. Windows Update usually carries some minimal driver that works, but not the newest recommended driver.

opencpn.ini is not in Program Files. It is in C:\ProgramData\opencpn. ProgramData is hidden, you need to show hidden files to see it.

A developer would need to comment, but if I understood, the reason OpenGL gets turned off automatically is because some driver issue was detected. Instead of crashing, OpenCPN turns it off, and then adds the "DisableOpenGL" line to gray it out. So, if that happens, you need a new driver. And if one isn't available, then you are probably SOL until one is released. I can't answer why it used to work, but may have to do with the libraries that OpenCPN uses.

The OP listed what computer he had. As a minimum, I would get these 3.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/p...C-2701D4E341AF

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/p...B-809B4958F608

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/p...3-B07A93E0428C
Old 28-06-2024, 11:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I have found it really important to have the latest drivers. In my case (an HP with Intel Graphics) upgrading from a driver that was 3 months old to one that was 1 week old fixed it. A computer "out of the box" seldom has the latest drivers, and it may be months, if ever, that Windows update carries them. Windows Update usually carries some minimal driver that works, but not the newest recommended driver.

opencpn.ini is not in Program Files. It is in C:\ProgramData\opencpn. ProgramData is hidden, you need to show hidden files to see it.

A developer would need to comment, but if I understood, the reason OpenGL gets turned off automatically is because some driver issue was detected. Instead of crashing, OpenCPN turns it off, and then adds the "DisableOpenGL" line to gray it out. So, if that happens, you need a new driver. And if one isn't available, then you are probably SOL until one is released. I can't answer why it used to work, but may have to do with the libraries that OpenCPN uses.

The OP listed what computer he had. As a minimum, I would get these 3.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/p...C-2701D4E341AF

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/p...B-809B4958F608

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/p...3-B07A93E0428C

Thank Warren, I will look at this once we making landfall in Vancouver area...still have 3 days to go. But what I can tell you now is I did get the lasted driver from Lenovo in an attempt to solve the problem...just can't elaborate further now.
Old 28-06-2024, 11:20   #11
Marine Service Provider

All....
OpenCPN 5.9 Beta, and proposed O5.10 Release, use an improved method to detect OpenGL compatibility problems before starting the core application. The new method uses a "sand-boxed" test utility, which insulates OpenCPN core from potential faults during the detection logic. The test utility runs at every OpenCPN startup. If the test utility reports OpenGL problems, then OpenCPN core will disable OpenGL for this session only. This allows updating the GL driver, with immediate effect on the next OpenCPN session. No need to manually fiddle with config file.

We certainly could use more feedback on the accuracy and reliability of the OpenGL test utility on various edge-case machines, such as the system discussed here.

If convenient, please load and try the OpenCPN 5.9 Beta.
Feedback appreciated.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2024, 11:22   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
All....
OpenCPN 5.9 Beta, and proposed O5.10 Release, use an improved method to detect OpenGL compatibility problems before starting the core application. The new method uses a "sand-boxed" test utility, which insulates OpenCPN core from potential faults during the detection logic. The test utility runs at every OpenCPN startup. If the test utility reports OpenGL problems, then OpenCPN core will disable OpenGL for this session only. This allows updating the GL driver, with immediate effect on the next OpenCPN session. No need to manually fiddle with config file.

We certainly could use more feedback on the accuracy and reliability of the OpenGL test utility on various edge-case machines, such as the system discussed here.

Feedback appreciated.

Dave

Great...It's on my todo list once in port
Old 28-06-2024, 19:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by captNordy View Post
Same issue here. Been running OpenCPN (latest) for past 4 months with MBTiles and no problem. All of the sudden yesterday I receive the yellow alert message in lower-left saying MBTiles requires OpenGL. The option to activate it inside OpenCPN is disabled. I'll try looking in the config file now and see if that solves it. Thanks for posting this!

After looking in my Program Files (x86) \ OpenCPN there is no opencpn.ini. I only have the application file, opencpn.png, and opencpn-cmd (showing hidden files).

I'll try a reinstall
The OpenCPN.ini file is not is Program Files. It is in ProgramData, which Microsoft unhelpfully hides in Windows.

The opencpn.ini file is in C:\ProgramData\opencpn. The ini file is your "settings" file
That is also where your log file is.
That is also where your waypoint, routes, and tracks database is. (the navobj.xml file)
NOTE: You should back up this folder periodically. (just copy opencpn folder to somewhere else, I use a Backup folder on my desktop). If you need to move to a new computer, copying the navobj.xml file to the new computer will move all your navigation data.

If you don't see a ProgramData folder in C:
- In the menu at the top of the file window, find the View menu item.
- Turn on Show Hidden Files
- Show File Name extensions
You only have to do this once.

Now, shut down OpenCPN, if it is running

Locate opencpn.ini, and open it with Notepad (either "edit" or right click and "Open With" and select Notepad)
Careful not to change anything. Look for OpenGL (use search because the ini file is usually pretty huge). You should find 2 instances. You want to make sure they are:
OpenGL=1
DisableOpenGL=0
Be careful to make only these changes! Save the changed file. Restart OpenCPN. This shguld have fixed your problem.
Old 08-07-2024, 11:40   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
All....

Feedback appreciated.

Dave

Dave... regarding the OpenGL issues reported earlier, initial testing today with the latest beta seams to have resolved the issue... looking forward for the 5.10 version...thanks to all the good work.
Old 08-07-2024, 12:46   #15

5.8.4 crashes for me also, and none of the solutions proposed will work. I have WIN10. It first crashed with CM93, which I unloaded and replaced with O Charts, but then it also crashed with O's. All was OK up to a month ago when it crashed loading CM93, and then when loading O Charts during an open sea crossing 3 weeks ago.

Maelruan
Maelruan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn, work

« OpenCPN General | - »