Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2010, 11:06   #1

OpenCPn and Chart World

I'm trying to use some chats I got from Chart World that are encrypted and can't seem to get they to load. Will OpenCPN work with them?

THx Dave
addboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 12:52   #2

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by addboy View Post
I'm trying to use some chats I got from Chart World that are encrypted and can't seem to get they to load. Will OpenCPN work with them?

THx Dave
No. Chart Formats | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 12:47   #3
oem

Boat: Vindø 995 ds
Polarnavy, - Polar Navy can read the charts from chartworld, - assuming it's the S63 format you have bought. Polarnavy is absolutely reasonably priced at $39.99 (today's price). I tested a 3 month subscription of a small chart from chartworld, and it worked perfectly. After the subscription period ran out you can still use the chart, however it's no longer updated (no difference to outdated paper-charts or BSB-charts).

My dream is that Opencpn, - with the new plugin-architecture, might be able to read S63-charts. Maybe with a (hopefully small) pricetag on the plugin. Legal challenges concerning copyrights I hope might be overcome with the plugin being separate from the Open source-part of Opencpn.

My other dream is that the S57/S63-format (or successors) will become the overall standard and then also priced lower than the prices at present at www.chartworld.de. Prices for S63-charts are not yet competitive, compared to other chart-producers for my area (Scandinavia).
oem is offline   Reply With Quote