Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2012, 02:40   #1
T_C

OpenCPN and GE crashes

Hi,
Been lurking for a while.....
Firstly, may I congratulate the openCPN developers for such a great navigational tool. I haven't yet used it on the boat, but fully intend to do so for our summer family cruise. Routes and waypoints all plugged in whilst at home.

However, I seem to have a bit of an issue with the GE plugin in that it works for a short while before crashing the laptop.

I'm running windows vista ( not my choice, it's a work laptop), and from looking at the openCPN log the programme seems to go into a loop like this:
10:08:11 AM: [GECOMAPI] Boat display request discarded, too soon after a previous action
10:08:11 AM: [GECOMAPI] Show boat at 50.442765, -4.205155 requested
10:08:11 AM: [GECOMAPI] Boat display request discarded, too soon after a previous action
10:08:11 AM: [GECOMAPI] Show boat at 50.442765, -4.205155 requested

Now you know where I live

Have I missed something in the setup? I have deleted and reinstalled the plugin but the problem persists.

Grateful for any thoughts or suggestions.

Many thanks

Tim
T_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 01:55   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: OpenCPN and GE crashes

Tim...
By crashing the laptop you mean taking the machine down completely? If so, I'm afraid it's more an OS issue than a problem with OpenCPN or the GE plugin (Also it's the first time I hear about this after more than 10000 downloads of the plugin for 2.5 and almost 2000 for 3.0...) - I would suspect the video drivers in this case.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:30   #3
T_C

Re: OpenCPN and GE crashes

Thanks Pavel, and apologies for my delayed response. After reading your post I removed the GE plug in, but then found I was still experiencing crashes (the good old windows Bluse screen of death). So I spent some time researching that and think I have managed to fix it by updating the driver on my prolific USB GPS driver.
So I thought I had been wrong in assuming it was the GE plug in that was responsible for the system crashes.
Everything now works fine, so I reinstalled the GE plug in and again I get into the endless loop of show boat at position xx, boat display request discarded, too soon after a previous action, which eventually casuses the laptop to shut down.
I'm trying to find an up to date video driver, picking my way through the junk that comes up in google, and hopefully that will solve the problem.
Thanks again for the reply, I live in hope.....
Tim
T_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn