Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2023, 10:11   #1

Boat: Scampi 30-4
OpenCPN Android - Race Countdown Timer

Hello all (especially Dave R ),

I hope that I'm missing something but, it doesn't appear that the race tactics (or even DashT) plug-in is available for the Android version (I'm running 5.8.4 on my tablet).

I'd really like to have a full-screen countdown timer. Does anybody have a suggestion for something suitable?
HeviiSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2023, 12:07   #2

Re: OpenCPN Android - Race Countdown Timer

I haven't updated the Race Start Display plugin for a few years. It doesn't support the current version of OpenCPN and its dependencies, there never was a version that supported Android and I think only a few people ever used it.

I would have thought that the Tactics Dashboard was more suitable with race oriented features such as laylines, polars, vmg, however, it does appear to lack race start features, such as a race timer, distance to start line, time to start line, burn time etc. Perhaps file a request to the developers for Dashboard Tactics to add these features.

Wouldn't the obvious solution on an Android be to simply use a clock or time app ?
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2023, 08:55   #3

Boat: Scampi 30-4
Re: OpenCPN Android - Race Countdown Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevead View Post
Wouldn't the obvious solution on an Android be to simply use a clock or time app ?

Yes, Steve, you're quite correct. This is what I had done during yesterday's race (in which we smoked the fleet). The app with the relatively large digits suited the purpose well.

It's good that you had brought up the Tactics Dashboard as it is sorely missed by me on Android! I suppose that the next-best thing for me to do is to connect my weather-resistant tablet in the cockpit to the RPi via VNC, even though this may result in a laggy refresh rate.

What's the best way to get in touch with the Devs to see if they might be inspired/cajoled into crafting something for us OpenCPN-using racers out here?
HeviiSail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn, race