Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2019, 06:06   #1

Opencpn assistance please

Greetings everyone,

All the best for the New Year! For the past month I have been exploring opencpn and its plugins and it's great and fun even for a totally tech challenged neophyte as I am.

But I fear, I have pushed the limit and it would appear I crashed the app to a point of no return... I was fiddling with the logbook plugin layouts and opencpn closed and would not fully load again, just a blank screen with inactive menu bar. After a while, I figured I would uninstall and reinstall but the uninstall function was no longer visible, available. I tried to reinstall to overwrite but that did not work either. In despair, I stupidly started to delete plugins/files etc in the opencpn folder probably making the whole unrecoverable.

So now, I am sheepishly seeking assistance which I should have done from the start! What would be the procedure to uninstall/delete/scrub all and download a new version and start from scratch as I fear I will not be able to fix the current install.

Thank you for any and all assistance.

Cheers,

Maurice Poulin
SV Monoloy
MPoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:44   #2

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: Opencpn assistance please

I assume that you are on windows.
Open "File Explorer", click on "View" ! Tick "File name extensions" and "Hidden Items".
Find the file "opencpn.ini" and rename it for ex "opencpn-problem.ini".
The location could be "C:\ProgramData\opencpn\opencpn.ini" , if not use windows search function to find it.
Reinstall OpenCPN.
Start OpenCPN, which should behave like a brand new install. In other words, you have lost all your custom settings.

Good luck

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 18:10   #3

Re: Opencpn assistance please

Great stuff, thanks a lot. I am in the process of reloading everything. I believe it is the logbook layouts that create a bit of hassle if you try to edit them. Otherwise, it's a great app for navigation!

Cheers,

Maurice
MPoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn