Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2012, 15:32   #121

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 3.1.814 Released

Zoom to, pan to, move to etc... From the point of view of a translator to a language not having the needed marine vocabulary, I don't see much difference as I have to use "weird" translations all the time anyway.
My personal preference would be using "zoom to" for anything that changes the scale (might change the viewpoint location or not), "move to" for anything that changes the viewport location but leaves the scale unchanged and "navigate to" or "go to" for anything that results in activating a route to certain place.
Not a native English speaker etc. applies 100% here of course, and I confess I was the one who invented "Jump to position"

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 17:18   #122

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
ahem! ...my motorcycle goes"ZOOM!" and I "zoom to" places. My camera "zooms in" or "zooms out" .
Dear Happy Seagull, I enjoy your sense of humor! but it leaves me with an ambiguous answer and I was sorry I mentioned it, ...even before your comment! I can live with whatever Pavel decides (and I think what he says above is good)! The main thing is it works! Rick
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 17:31   #123
Marine Service Provider

dpons....

I built a virtual Debian 6, apt-got wxWidgets 2.8.10, compiled the current master OpenCPN from source. Runs fine, although the toolbar, chartbar, and compass dialog are very laggy on frame movement. I think this has to do with the way events are merged and prioritized in the GTK event queue.

But anyway, I cannot reproduce the failure to re-activate from the taskbar.

Any tips?

Question: what happens if you have a dialog open, say the RouteManagerDialog, and minimize OpenCPN at that point. Does the RouteManagerDialog get hidden properly, or does it stay on the screen?

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 17:44   #124
Marine Service Provider

A quick note for source code builders:

The current github OpenCPN/OpenCPN master implements an upgrade to the chart database structure. This means that the first time you run this version, your database will be automatically updated. This is what a user of the next 3.2 Release will experience, as well as Beta testers on the next Beta Release.

If you then step back to prior versions of O, your database will be automatically downgraded, as well. This can be aggravating if you are doing some serious regression testing. You will chase your tail, back and forth.

I suggest that this is a great point to exercise the -p "portable" option for prior versions. Build a directory that contains, say, 3.1.814 and all its parts, and use this for regression testing. Saves a lot of wear and tear on your thumb twiddling.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 20:06   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
But anyway, I cannot reproduce the failure to re-activate from the taskbar.

Any tips?

Question: what happens if you have a dialog open, say the RouteManagerDialog, and minimize OpenCPN at that point. Does the RouteManagerDialog get hidden properly, or does it stay on the screen?

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the work on this. I'll check tomorrow. Perhaps it has to do with the video driver, although no other program (including opencpn 3.0.2) have issues that I've noticed so far.

Diego
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 20:18   #126

Boat: 29'

How could I be less ambiguous?
"zooming" is not about scale.
"zoom" is not about magnifying !
It's about speed.

"to zoom in" means " to go quickly to an increased level of magnification " and it's the "in" that is about magnifying .
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 23:22   #127

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

A French user reports beta 3.1.814 runs fine on 32 and 64 bits Windows 8....
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 00:11   #128

Boat: Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
O always tries to be standard compatible, were possible.
It's worth checking IMO, IHO etc. etc. for some established standard vocabulary for electronic navigation, or a proposal for a standard.
The The IHO HYDROGRAPHIC DICTIONARY, Glossary of ECDIS Related Terms defines "Zoom" as

"a method of enlarging (zoom in) or reducing (zoom out) graphics displayed on a SCREEN."

And while it defines all sorts of terms (including "spaghetti data" ?!?) it does not have a term for moving/panning the chart without zooming.

Anyway, this still means Zoom To is not a good alternative.

The one good reference I found from "official" sources is the TV32 ECDIS application from Research and Innovative Technology Administration (RITA) of the U.S. Department of Transportation.

This product clearly differentiates a Pan as being a scrolling movement of the chart, and Center View as being an instant jump to the new location.

So unless someone comes up with some other standard, I think it's gonna be Center View.
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 05:28   #129

Meaning, semantics, and nuance. This suggestion will probably get howls of laughter. Microsoft Word...View "Zoom..." "100%" "75%". Now I know you guys have your own standards... The other operation in Word/Excel is "Scroll" which is similar to "Pan" but "Scroll" implies scroll bars IMHO.

Coastal Explorer uses

Main menu - "View"/"Scale" to change scale. Also Control+/-

Cursor-Right click has:
"Move boat here", also
"Zoom to" (sub menu: "restricted area", "caution area", "Block Island Sound", "Long Island Sound", etc depending on where the cursor right click occurs on the chart - also changes scale up or down after an item is selected)
There are other items "Chart Types" -Select vector, raster, photo, etc "Charts Here" Lists with checkmarks all charts available at that point.
"Tide level prediction" "Tide current prediction" "Text weather forecast" "Chart Tip" lists lat long, depth and port zone, "Properties" "Copy" and "Paste"

Second menu:
a block arrow " Go to "type a place to find" "
a Slider "Zoom Out" "Zoom in" plus-minus slider for scale
a select tool to show chart object's properties
a stretchy box "Zoom Tool"
a hand icon called "Pan Tool"
a "chart window" icon with full view of chart
a "split chart window" setup

I think "center view" is fine.
Old 22-08-2012, 05:44   #130

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

No wonder we have wars in this world!
Honestly,donīt we have more important tasks to spend our time on?

There has never been any doubt in my mind as to the meaning of:

ZOOM change chart scale
PAN move around the displayed chart area
SCROLL a menu or page up/down

Tore
Old 22-08-2012, 06:09   #131

Boat: Wasa 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperWe View Post
So unless someone comes up with some other standard, I think it's gonna be Center View.
I agree.
Zoom: Change scale
Pan: Continous move of the map
Centre View: move the map to centre it on a location.

I think this understandable for all users and makes for consistent use in different menus.
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 08:27   #132

Boat: Journeyman

@Tore: I see no war, but good community teamwork, that will result in the menu structure being more polished and thought through in next beta compared to the current.

@rgleason: I missed the actual suggestion in this long description of Coastal Explorer? Unless of course you suggesting we rewrite O to work exactly like CE, in which case yes, that's something we can probably laugh at...
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 08:47   #133

Zoom - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
(though I think I did better)....Pavel had it nicely in the first place...(Zoom to)

But Move View To or Center View On (mark/ownship) are ok too.
Note that these also need "On" or To just as much as Zoom needs in,out, or to,
Old 22-08-2012, 09:14   #134

Nope, no suggestion to rewrite to Coastal. Just a ref/example to another program for the terms. I could have given several others too. No war here either. Liked the motorcycle reference.
Old 22-08-2012, 10:21   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Double clicking a mark that belongs to a layer creates a crash.

Attachment 45164

Thomas
added since that quote didn't work, I mean post here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1016870

I'm wondering if using "Dependency Walker" is any help...for windows users? as an example for Thomas's bug,I get :
Code:
00:00:53.617: First chance exception 0xC0000005 (Access Violation) occurred in "d:\keepers\navigation\open cpninstall+help\opcn_3_portable\OPENCPN.EXE" at address 0x0043130A.
00:00:54.048: Second chance exception 0xC0000005 (Access Violation) occurred in "d:\keepers\navigation\open cpninstall+help\opcn_3_portable\OPENCPN.EXE" at address 0x0043130A.
00:00:54.078: Exited "d:\keepers\navigation\open cpninstall+help\opcn_3_portable\OPENCPN.EXE" (process 0x3C4) with code -1073741819 (0xC0000005)

The thing is, it's small, and it's easy to use, even if I don't usually understand what it's telling me!

Tags
opencpn