Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2014, 22:50   #31

Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 3.3.1303 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
RD....

According to this Garmin serial/USB protocol (garmin), the Garmin 400c can only upload routes/marks as GPX files in Mass Storage mode. It does not support GRMN mode serial or USB uploads.

However....
You should be able to export the routes from OCPN, and then import to the 400c in Mass Storage mode.

Does this work at all?

As a test, maybe you could manually make a route on the 400c, and export it from the device, saving to your PC. We could then compare the Garmin GPX file to something similar from OCPN, looking for significant tag/key differences.

Dave
I've used the device in USB mass storage many times. I pull tracks off the device every couple of months through the current.gpx file, and they open just fine in OpenCPN.

I do all my route plotting on O, and always upload them in to the Oregon so I can have complete agreement between the device an O when following a route. However, copying a route into the device is not sufficient in my experience. It needs to be uploaded in a way that the device recognizes the new route and (automatically) imports it into the current.gpx file. The only way that I have been able to do this is using MapSource or (more recently) Homeport to transfer the routes while the device is connected in mass storage mode. After that, removing the device and rebooting always leads to the routes being imported into current.gpx, and everything is fine.

Transferring directly from O to the handheld would be nice, but is not crucial to me. My workaround is fine, especially since I do not plot that many unique routes. There aren't that many places to go in my river.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 10:23   #32

Boat: Dufour 35

I think this one is for Nohal/Pavel.

In beta 3.3.719, #73. Update to Track Properties Dialog

Looking at this now, I find that the previous option of selecting "Time shown as" + three options, is gone. In my test all times are set to "UT".
Is this a bug or a feature?

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 10:39   #33
Marine Service Provider

Thomas...

Tracking this one today myself.
Also relates to FS#1294 : Saved tracks - timestamp missing in track properties

Wait for Pavel to get back to me...

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 10:40   #34

Boat: Phantom 19

Thomas...
It's actually an effect of the rework of track and route properties not being finished. I admit that I take awfully long at that.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 15:44   #35

Quote:
...You should be able to export the routes from OCPN, and then import to the 400c in Mass Storage mode.

Does this work at all?
As I said before, simply placing a .gpx route file into the directory structure is not sufficient to have it recognized by the GPS. It's much more complicated than that.

I just ran another test to see how Garmin's Homeport software exports routes into the Oregon 400c. Since Garmin software has been successful uploading my OpenCPN routes, I figure it would be helpful to see how it does it.

With the Oregon connected in mass storage mode and Homeport open on my computer, I imported a route from my hard drive into Homeport that was originally created in OpenCPN. I then exported that route into the Oregon using Homeport's commands. While still connected in mass storage mode, I went to F:\Garmin\GPX\temp.gpx, was that the modification date/time had changed, and looked at the file contents with a text editor. The route was there. I then looked at F:\Garmin\GPX\Current\Current.gpx and confirmed that the route was NOT placed there. Its mod date/time corresponded to when I attached the device, NOT when I exported the route.

I quit out of Homeport, ejected the Oregon, booted it into GPS mode, and confirmed that the route was present there.

I shut off the Oregon and plugged into the computer's USB port and selected mass storage mode. For a split second there was a message that the device was creating the current.gpx file. Upon navigating to F:\Garmin\GPX\Current I could see the modification data/time of Current.gpx corresponded to the startup time. Looking at the file contents with a text editor confirmed that the route was there.

I disconnected and rebooted in GPS mode. This time I deleted the route that I had previously exported. I then reconnected in mass storage mode. This time, the Current.gpx file did not have the route, but the temp.gpx files still did have it.

So in summary, it appears that Homeport's process for exporting new files is to insert them into the temp.gpx file, where the Oregon detects it upon bootup. The Current.gpx file is not changed until the Oregon reboots in USB mass storage mode, at which time it is updated with the new route.

Homeport will not delete routes from the Oregon - that must be done withing the device. When I do that and boot into USB mass storage mode, the new Current.gpx file does not have the route, but apparently the temp.gpx file still has it for historical purposed.

FYI, the temp.gpx file is significantly larger than Current.gpx (92 KB vs. 23 KB). Temp.gpx is nicely formatted with line breaks and indents, while Current.gpx is a "run-on sentence" with almost no line breaks or indents.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 07:56   #36

Boat: Dufour 35

Plugins can now add entries to the right-click menu.
A part of this should include cleaning up entries when the plugin is no longer active, in my opinion.
The grib plugin leaves the "Weather table" in the right-click menu, for the rest of the session, even if the plugin is not active.
The weather Routing plugin, for example, handles this issue correct.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 10:08   #37

Boat: Amel Sharki

Is it please possible to remove wxADJUST_MINSIZE from the code?
This wx ID is outdated since wx version 2.4. It does nothing anymore.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 10:15   #38

Boat: BENETEAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Plugins can now add entries to the right-click menu.
The grib plugin leaves the "Weather table" in the right-click menu, for the rest of the session, even if the plugin is not active.
Thomas
Hi Thomas,

I do not have this kind of problem under XP !!

Serge
AISEAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 10:18   #39

Boat: Phantom 19

Gerhard...
It most likely is. If you post a patch to do that, it should be even fast.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 11:46   #40

Boat: Amel Sharki

Pavel,
no patch needed, simply delete wxADJUST_MINSIZE everywhere in the code, that's all.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 13:17   #41

Boat: Najad 34

Pavel..Gerhard..
I thought I've better test what these Macinists(?) are up to! (Sorry -- trying to joke in a friendly manner)
I've test it and works for Win32. And of course it's a good idea to get rid of scrap.

Find my my diff to 1303 attached if you want?
Håkan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Git_Dif_Del_wxADJUST_MINSIZE.txt.pdf (12.0 KB, 55 views)
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 17:55   #42
Marine Service Provider

cagney....

Cannot reproduce:

Code:
The grib plugin leaves the "Weather table" in the right-click menu, for  the rest of the session, even if the plugin is not active. 
More info/scenario?

Thanks
Dave
Old 26-01-2014, 17:56   #43
Marine Service Provider

Gerhard....

Regarding wxADJUST_MINSIZE:

I agree that this is obsolete, but why do you care?

Dave
Old 26-01-2014, 22:23   #44

Attempting to add new waypoint in route manager causes instantaneous crash in Mac.
tinpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 01:32   #45

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef

Quote:
cagney....

Cannot reproduce:

Code:
The grib plugin leaves the "Weather table" in the right-click menu, for  the rest of the session, even if the plugin is not active. 
More info/scenario?

Thanks
Dave
hi All

Yes it happens when going out of from the plug-in by the red cross in the main dialog instead of clicking on the plug-in's icon
Sorry a can't correct it at the moment
Jean Pierre
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn