Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2014, 02:36   #211

Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 3.3.2330 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I certainly get all the info I expect from a chart here. Also ..... entering a busy harbor entrance I would be looking at other things than a screen.
Thomas...

You are certainly right here, but this does not explain why the next level of zoom should make the chart unreadable. It only takes time then for the user to click back to previous level and/or fight confusion, which will descend on many people. Probably it would be safer to disable by default the zoom at this level and let people consciously enable it, with appropriate warning on screen. But I would prefer the warning in another form, e.g. extending the big "Overzoom" message with a numerical indication of expected accuracy.

The chart itself, even overzoomed, in many respects remains as valid (or as invalid) as the nominal zoom image. The angles are kept, relative distances are kept, relative positions of objects are kept, individual characteristics of objects are kept. The chart image in most respects is still valid, and denying its presentation to the user is surprising. What is not kept is positional accuracy related to chart datum. So at overzoom level one should not plot WGS positions on the chart nor take coordinates of the cursor as indicated by the program, so preventive functionality should be probably addressed at these actions instead.

There were good suggestions in this thread to - instead of blurring the chart - make all chart features appropriately bigger, including the ship icon (and the cursor, I would add). Indeed, this would be more appropriate to the geometry of the chart, but maybe not very practical.

I think that making the marks, depths, etc. unreadable serves no real purpose, and I understand that users react negatively here.

Please note that the positional accuracy is also very doubtful at underzoom levels. At world scale level the cursor still gives many decimal digits of accuracy, and waypoints dropped at this scale can easily be far inland when one intended a seaborne location...

If overzoom is allowed at all, and it seems people want this in some situations, I see every reason to put a persistent warning on screen, but I see no reason to make the chart unreadable.

If one wanted to make a chartplotter "zoom-safe", probably other steps should be taken, but this again might create a sense of false confidence in chart quality in general. To have an island plotted 1.5 miles off its real position is common, and bigger differences are reported.

Interestingly, many of these "lies 1.5 mile WSW off charted position" cautions (CTNAREA, INFORM, but no name, so search ineffective) are not made easy to find. I feel making these warnings more apparent would contribute much more to safety...

Piotr
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:55   #212

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Gerhard...

re:
"The last commit of today "Correct a small but persistent memory leak in OCPNRegion dtor." doesn't help much. There are still memory leaks with OCPNRegion here."

Are you certain you have a fresh build?
I can reproduce your leaks on original 3.3.2330. But with the recent build, I see only a very small malloc leak, still to be fixed.

Thanks
Dave
I don't understand why the Leaked Object is always shown as "HyperlinkList" while the Responsible Frame is mostly OCPNRegion in these checks of Instruments.
Since the change of pugixml from 1.2 to 1.5 I have seen for the first time also a pugi function but not reproducible.
The screenshots are done with latest git compiling.
Gerhard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MemoryLeaks-1.png
Views:	121
Size:	335.4 KB
ID:	93147   Click image for larger version

Name:	MemoryLeaks-2.png
Views:	95
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	93148  

CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:10   #213

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Build succeeded.
"C:\Data-Dart\Up-Soft\Navigation\opencpn-git\build\ALL_BUILD.vcxproj" (default target) (1) ->
"C:\Data-Dart\Up-Soft\Navigation\opencpn-git\build\plugins\dashboard_pi\dashboard_pi.vcxpro j" (default target) (8) ->
"C:\Data-Dart\Up-Soft\Navigation\opencpn-git\build\opencpn.vcxproj" (default target) (10) ->(ClCompile target) ->
c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\include\math.h(632): warning C4005:
'M_PI' : macro redefinition [C:\Data-Dart\Up-Soft\Navigation\opencpn-git\build\opencpn.vcxproj]
1 Warning(s)
0 Error(s)

Opencpn Beta File Thingierguser rgpass
Main directory: opencpn_3.3.2330_setup-12-07-2014.exe compiled for windows this morning

@Bdcat
Attached Options > Charts > Chart Groups > All Charts screenshot
Italic, light grey, a little large, cuts out at bottom a little for Windows7
(I am being a bit picky here. Sorry. I have never altered my font settings, I believe.)
Opencpn.ini.doc attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Options-Charts-ChartGroups-AllCharts.png
Views:	131
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	93149  
Attached Files
File Type: doc opencpn.ini.doc (43.4 KB, 56 views)
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:36   #214
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Can you please explain why you think that over zooming is necessary in the entrance to the Panama canal?

Thomas
A) Because you have never been to the Panama Canal?
B) Because my out door screen is 6 inches and is placed 4 feet from the helm.
So make your image 6 inches wide (diagonal) and go stand 4 feet away and tell me what the depths are.
C) I don't want to use program where the makers disallow you to do something that every other program allows.

By the way, I have done Suez Canal too, which you have not, and it's exactly the same. Theres a myriad of ships, boats, markers and narrow channel. ColRegs say use ALL available nav methods and so you are just anti ColReg when you say we sholdnt use your charting program in seriously congested waters.

Where else have I done that the program makers have not done so it gives good reason to listen to me: Singaport Straits, Gibraltar Straits, the Pacific, Indian and Atlantic oceans, in fact I have done every ocean and sea that most any of your users are every going to do.
There are some that I have not done and when I do them would like to SEE the chart: Corinth Canal, Keil canal the islands of Sweeden, Denmark and Finland.

Its just not good enough to say that just me, Mark of Sea Life, can turn this 'feature' off, it should be OFF for all people, and only turn on-able if they get a letter from their local Psych professional.
People with lesser nav capabilities need to see where they are using ALL available nav systems (Read ColRegs!)

I sail in some far off and quiet waters, but also sail in some places where the shipping can be absolutly daunting. I have used OpenCpn in ways you guys would never dream to make my life safer. To remove a layer of that safety because you guys have some philosophical but inexperienced ideal is sad. Desperately sad.

Yes! All these ships are coming towards me, in convoy, and we need to pass Port to Port. To do that I need ALL nav systems, but only the ones I can TRUST have not been denuded, nerfed, dumbded down.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:11   #215
bzs

Hi Dave ,

My problem:
If I'm starting the OpenCPN with old plugins, then the OpenCPN is exit. No alert just an error messages in the command line. This is not good if the user don't power user..

Advise:
OpenCPN start's running a selftest, looking the plugins version numbers and put on alert window:
,,Your plugins very old. Please delete all old plugins and refresh.''

If the alert window is closed, then running EXIT command...

---
I am Running opencpn on Slackware 14.1 and Raspberry PI.
On RPI is buttons very big, but don't problem, disabled all. (My screen size on Raspberry is 32x240...)
bzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:13   #216

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Can you please explain why you think that over zooming is necessary in the entrance to the Panama canal?
No. I don't give a rat's ass what you personally don't get, or would do, or prefer. Or how you think everyone else should. Or why you think every example presented to you is overstated or incorrect.

I posted that example to give the developers another idea for handling overzoom without offending every established human modal, psychological and physiological expectation.

Blurring is wrong on every single level one can imagine. It is not right on any level at all. You will not find a human interface anywhere that suddenly presents a blurred image, or a person who expects to have their viewpoint blurred suddenly (the developers here excepted, of course).

However, it is becoming clear that the developers of OCPN are now moving in directions and intentions different than those in earlier days. That is certainly the developer's prerogative, and the rest of us will just love it or leave it.

Clippy, Bob, Windows Vista, Windows 8 - lots of lessons to be learned here boys and girls...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:31   #217

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
'Hoy testers...

OK, here is design question:
So, what say ye?
Thanks
Dave
I'll say; leave it as it is. Any conditional sorting can lead to some very complicated rules. And in the end to a possible situation where a single chart is not loaded at all.
But since you are there; It could be wise to hinder a user mistake to load the same directory twice if that's now possible. (Haven't checked.)
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:34   #218
Marine Service Provider

bzs...

Can you isolate which old PlugIn is causing the exit? Remove and add them one-by-one until you find the bad one, please.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:39   #219

Boat: Sailboat
Re: AIS ship positions not updated without chart interaction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
To reproduce:
  • Watch a fast moving ship via AIS, zoom in closely
  • Open the AIS target query window for that AIS target and watch the "Report Age" go to zero but the ship doesn't move on the chart!
  • Move chart with mouse, and ship jumps to new position

Anyone can confirm?

Dirk
Entered as FS#1602:
FS#1602 : OpenGL: AIS ship positions not updated without chart interaction?
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:40   #220
bzs

root[isolated_cpn-plugins]# ls -l /mnt/shm/isolated_cpn-plugins/
total 676
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 117143 aug 7 20:22 liblauncher_pi.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 569347 aug 7 20:15 libstatusbar_pi.so
Old 07-12-2014, 06:27   #221
bzs

Quote:
bzs...

Can you isolate which old PlugIn is causing the exit? Remove and add them one-by-one until you find the bad one, please.

Thanks
Dave
root[isolated_cpn-plugins]# ls -l /mnt/shm/isolated_cpn-plugins/
total 676
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 117143 aug 7 20:22 liblauncher_pi.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 569347 aug 7 20:15 libstatusbar_pi.so

...and I'm don't download the statusbar source from Download Page..
Old 07-12-2014, 06:46   #222

Quote:
Littlechay....

I see those objects, too. They look valid and important to me.

Not sure what the issue is, though. Is there a problem with them?

Thanks
Dave
Yes there is a problem, they render so small that they are virtually invisible. Some objects only render as a !. The tidal arrows shown in my original screen shot render about 2mm long with the overlaid ! in circle being about 5mm across hiding the underlaying arrow. This on my 15" Dell XPS laptop, Open GL on (or off).

Hiding (if that is the intention) information like this is dangerous.

Attached another shot from MaxSea showing the same area and the arrows as I believe they should be rendered. Both shots using similar Vector charts.

Chris
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:41   #223
Marine Service Provider

rgleason...

Re: Group dialog italic font:

Yes, I see the trouble.
Fixed in github now.

Thanks
Dave
Old 07-12-2014, 07:54   #224
Marine Service Provider

Littlechay....

1. This is not new behaviour in Beta 3.3.x Exactly the same in 3.2.0.

2. If you like Maxsea better, use Maxsea. If you like O, then constructive Flyspray bug reports always get a response. Always. Piling-on in the Forum does not generally produce the expected results.

3. Especially, if you ( and others) think the O developers are intentionally hiding information, then I encourage you to look elsewhere for your charting solution.

Dave
Old 07-12-2014, 07:59   #225
Marine Service Provider

Gerhard....

Re: Region leaks.

I don't know why the leaks would be called Hyperlinks.

Further, I run O in linux using valgrind. No Region leaks.
I run O in Windows using Visual Leak Detector, and built in VS2010 leak tracking. No Region leaks.
OSX /usr/bin/leaks from the console shows no leaks.
OSX Instruments shows no leaks.

So, pardon me, but I suspect something is not the same for our builds.

I would like to exactly reproduce your results.
What version of XCode are you using?

Thanks
Dave

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn