Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2014, 00:08   #346
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 3.3.2330 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
FWIW, I think that the best way to ask for the information is via manual DPI entry in the Options-Display-Advanced screen. Advanced users will know the DPI resolution of their displays, or will know how to measure it. I'll leave it up to you to decide if you'd prefer DPcm, for our European friends.

From another message that someone posted, it sounds like there may still be some displays out there with rectangular pixels, so you may need to ask for two values - vertical DPI and horizontal DPI, and scale the display differently in each dimension.

As for default, I would make it default to the DPI that the monitor reports to the OS (if, in fact, that is supported by the OS that's in use), or 96 dpi if no other number is available. Any manual input then overrides the value, making it persistent. This could create issues for those of us who use a portable installation on multiple machines (with different DPI), but those users will be advanced enough to anticipate the problem and re-enter the DPI accordingly for the different systems. You can't make the program anticipate every single possible hardware difference, and adding the option of manual DPI entry gives advanced users a powerful tool to scale their charts exactly to their liking.
Maybe hardware profile to save those settings, (along with possible future ones).

So, on my laptop, my "Home" profile has the settings for my 25" monitor I plug into it at home. The "Laptop" profile has the internal screen. The "Flybridge" has the settings for the 10" waterproof screen up there.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 01:06   #347
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
Maybe hardware profile to save those settings, (along with possible future ones).

So, on my laptop, my "Home" profile has the settings for my 25" monitor I plug into it at home. The "Laptop" profile has the internal screen. The "Flybridge" has the settings for the 10" waterproof screen up there.

-dan
But you remember that mirrored screens on displays with different dpi will not be correct on one of those?
Or we will need several view panes/split screens - including hardware settings.

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 10:53   #348

Re: NEMA Autopilot Ver 3.3.2330

In reference to detailed post #264 (page 18) .....

Thank you very much.

I downloaded Ver. 3.3.2410 and the autopilot problem has been fixed simply by changing the cross track distance to 2 decimal places. (Also on my pilot bearing distances must be one decimal place but that option was already built in with 3.3.2330).

OpenCPN is now compatible with Robertson Autopilots. Mine is the older AP200DL.

Again thank you,
Lee Longstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeward128 View Post
Gentlemen:
I am about to retire my old Nobeltec VNS as soon as I can get the autopilot working with OpenCPN.

OpenCPN 3.3.2330 is almost ready to work with my Robertson AP200DL autopilot.

I analyzed my problem using a second computer running putty.exe to look at the actual data stream coming from the serial port on the computer running OpenCPN. Also used a scope to verify waveform sharpness and full RS232 voltage swing. Also replaced the opto-coupler in the Autopilot and verified its logic output with a scope just to make sure everything was perfect there and rechecked that the Autopilot was still working using my old Nobeltec VNS-4.

OpenCPN Options set as follows:
- Enabled autopilot output.
- Set to 4800 baud.
- Configured to output APB sentence.
- Configured to output Magnetic bearing data.
- APB bearing precision set to x.x

Output from Nobeltec: (works!)
$ECAPB,A,A,0.00,L,N,V,V,199.6,M,001,199.6,M,199.6,M*1C

Output from OpenCPN: (does not work!)
$ECAPB,A,A,0.000,L,N,V,V,199.6,M,001,199.6,M,199.6,M*2D

It appears the only remaining issue is that the cross track data also needs an option to set its precision to 2 decimal places which is precisely what is displayed in the active route display.

Thank you,

Lee
leeward128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 14:52   #349

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

My system Windows 7 Home) has gotten into a peculiar state.

If any other programs are running and I bring up OpenCPN it flashes briefly, and then the other program grabs the screen. The OpenCPN icon on the program bar blinks. If I click on the icon O runs normally.

I'm also having another problem- when I close O with a skewed chart on the screen and later restart O, it comes up with largest scale chart selected, but not displayed ( a grey screen). When I close O with a nonskewed raster chart, and later restart O, it displays the chart that I closed with.

Just wonder if anyone else has seen this.
Old 15-12-2014, 16:03   #350

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

David, This does sound like unusual actions. I would first try cleaning up your pc and optimize the hard disk, and reboot. I don't think it sounds like it has anything to do with Opencpn, but who knows.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn