Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2017, 05:57   #46

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Possible Icon Operations

How to do this within the interface?
Currently it is a simple drop down scroll from Waypoint Properties which works well and is quick.
How would you change this?

* Favorite
* Hide
* Sort
* Find

Which ones are essential?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 08:08   #47
Marine Service Provider

Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 4.6.2

Folks...

Thanks for all the interesting and novel discussion regarding the MarkIcon interface. Food for thought....

However, please note:
OCPN 4.6.2 is largely a maintenance release. There will be no substantive changes to the user interfaces, especially ones that require extensive regression testing.

So, you may expect the MarkIcon management interface on O4.6.2 to follow the method I have outlined earlier.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2442788

All that remains is to finalize the MarkIcon list, which is happening as we speak. I personally favor a simple yellow "wavy flag" icon for Q area.

Thanks again for your input.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 11:04   #48
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Hello...

Thanks for all the good discussion on new MarkIcons. I hear all the points, I think.

As a potential improvement to the usability questions, I propose to implement the following:

1. Change the sort order of the Mark->Properties icon list such that the existing legacy (4.6.1) icons appear at the top of the list. These are the icons we all know and love from legacy OCPN, and include the defaults (triangle, diamond, etc) that are used for initial mark and waypoint creation. The new extended selection of MarkIcons will still appear, after the legacy group. And then the UserIcons (if any) will appear after that group

2. Allow one to manually delete icons from the list by removing the .svg file from the relevant directory after installation of OCPN. This does not quite work right now, but I will fix it so that it does. A user may then remove any icons they don't want hanging around, or move them to the UserIcons folder if they like.

After having looked at a lot of imported GPX files where the new icons always come in as boring circles, I think having a rich set of built-in icons that can be used for effective sharing of GPX files is a good thing.

Thanks
Dave
Would it be possible to display the icons in order of most recently used at the top (or most frequently used)?

For most of us this will put our favourite 10 or so items at the top of the list (after we had used them once) - the remainder could then be ordered in the alphabetical groups as they are now.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 12:43   #49

Boat: Valiant 42

I agree with Dave. It's best to give the icon user interface some thought and lots of testing. There are a few bugs in 4.6.1 that would be good to fix ASAP. A big feature change like the icon handling requires thought and testing. In other words, it takes more time.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 08:47   #50

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

You'll find a summary of some of the icon discussion here.
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...r_manual:icons

Feel free to edit it. The page is intended to cover Icons, how they are used and how to make them. It can also serve as summary of what is being considered if you wish.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn