Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2018, 05:36   #76

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 4.8.10125

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
Hi Pavel

No for libarchive-dev and libexif-dev because there are not in the list for building for RPI in the Wiki...
Rick, could you add them ?

Thanks again

François
Is there really a reason to have gazillion pages talking about exactly the same stuff? I can't see anything special that is not covered by the normal build instructions on the https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ing_linux:rpi2 page.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 05:53   #77

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Is there really a reason to have gazillion pages talking about exactly the same stuff? I can't see anything special that is not covered by the normal build instructions on the https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ing_linux:rpi2 page.
Sorry, I don't get you...
I was only suggesting to add libarchive-dev and libexif-dev to the list of required "Middleware" on the wiki...

Sorry again, I should have checked Travis file on Github... I'm learning
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 06:02   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
Sorry, I don't get you...
I was only suggesting to add libarchive-dev and libexif-dev to the list of required "Middleware" on the wiki...

Sorry again, I should have checked Travis file on Github... I'm learning
My question is: What is the "Middleware section" good for? Except not being up to date, is there anything in it that is not exactly the same as in the normal Linux build instructions that I do maintain? If the answer is no, can the person responsible for it's existence delete it?
Old 30-01-2018, 06:46   #79

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

Quote:
My question is: What is the "Middleware section" good for? Except not being up to date, is there anything in it that is not exactly the same as in the normal Linux build instructions that I do maintain? If the answer is no, can the person responsible for it's existence delete it?
OK, but don't bark at the wrong person...I took the wiki page that SEEMED to me closest to what I wanted to do...
I've build the 10129 version. Everything is fine. Thanks again...
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 15:10   #80

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I'm late to this discussion. Guys, is this about the Install Rpi page? We can do whatever you all think is best. Just let me know the specifics please. I can make changes and you review. I have very little Linux RPI experience at this point so your guidance will be needed.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 15:26   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I'm late to this discussion. Guys, is this about the Install Rpi page? We can do whatever you all think is best. Just let me know the specifics please. I can make changes and you review. I have very little Linux RPI experience at this point so your guidance will be needed.
Rick...
Simply do not duplicate information. I had to delete outdate partial copies of the Linux build instructions from about 5 different pages which altogether have little to no added information value.
Copying parts of every thread on the forum where someone more or less succeeded in building "something" the author himself has not much idea what to the manual is a little contraproductive IMO.
My feelings about the instructions for Windows and the 8 subpages, most of which not even I understand are a very similar case.
And please try to keep on mind that my days only have 24 hours and I would also like to do some development sometimes, so keeping the 3 main compilation instruction pages up to date is about as much as I am able and willing to do...

Sorry if it sounds rough, but that's what I think - More is not always better.

Pavel
Old 01-02-2018, 04:22   #82

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Simply do not duplicate information. I had to delete outdate partial copies of the Linux build instructions from about 5 different pages which altogether have little to no added information value.
I agree. But rather than deleting redundant information it might be better to replace it with a pointer to the correct pages. Otherwise its quite likely someone who looks for information somewhere will believe it to be missing and may update the page with incomplete or outdated information in an attempt to help.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:23   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
I agree. But rather than deleting redundant information it might be better to replace it with a pointer to the correct pages. Otherwise its quite likely someone who looks for information somewhere will believe it to be missing and may update the page with incomplete or outdated information in an attempt to help.

Fabbian
That is what was done.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:38   #84

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Fabbian and Pavel, Thanks for fixing the linux, rpi and mac install instructions. I have not had much of a hand in that, other than to add something very rarely that has been requested. These pages do need culling and improvement from time to time and it is best that guys familiar with the process be involved, so thanks.

Fabbian knows how to edit the wiki and I believe Pavel is a manager too. If you want to delete an entire instruction page, you should simply remove all the content and then update the page and you'll see a notice that the page is missing. If you want to create a new page just navigate to the namespace location where you want the page located and add a new short namespace at the end of the URL, using ":" as the delimiter.

I can fix the details from there, but Fabbian knows this part too.
Thanks.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn