Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2021, 08:49   #76

Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 5.5.928 Released

Hi Dave

According to your request, I am notifying you and all interested parties and contributors, that one of the problems detected by me in previous versions, and communicated through my Task with identification number 2675, it seems in this beta version have been resolved, although I have not yet tested importing GPX files from waypoints with range rings generated in previous versions, that eventually were originally generated with parameters other than the current Beta version (Nautical Miles or Kilometers), which received these files generated for example in Nautical Miles, but imported into OpenCPN Beta configured for Kilometers or vice versa, however changing older files, which were already present when deploying the Beta version, there were no discrepant problems.

Note: Just to make it a little clearer, the title of my Task posted I mentioned half radius of the Range Ring, but that was just to synthesize, since in fact I referred to the different measurements between nautical miles and kilometers.

Thank you and congratulations

Carl (ZUZA)

Task link:

https://opencpn.org/flyspray/index.p...ported%5B0%5D=
Alfange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 11:31   #77

Hi again Dave

Well, I just tested the situation already described earlier, but it seems the previous problem continues, namely:

Importing some waypoint generated in earlier versions of OpenCPN, where the parameter selected when creating this waypoint was Kilometers, the imported file into beta becomes immutable when attempting to generate or change the Range Ring option, to unit of measure other than that used when the waypoint was originally generated.

That is, if it was imported as KM. you cannot change to NM., nor generate new Range Ring where the value in Nautical Miles appears in the Floating Menu.

So the problem persists, and I'm attaching a new image to illustrate the problem.

Thank you and would appreciate it if you would notify if any solution is found for this old problem.

Fair winds, smooth seas and blue horizons

Carl
Old 07-11-2021, 11:36   #78

Image of the problem:
Configured as nautical miles, but in the floating menu shown kilometers immutable and Range Ring with 1 KM not NM.
Old 10-11-2021, 05:35   #79

Old examples images on my Tasklist Tracker.
Old 02-12-2021, 21:12   #80

Boat: Lagoon 500

Can someone also take a look at correcting the issue explained in FS#2615 - Route Position Issue With WeatherRoute 5 for MacOS - thanks.
kevinvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:35   #81

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Kevinh WeatherRouting uses its own units selection and is not user adjustible.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:13   #82

This is the current version we are working with
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ed-258367.html
Old 03-12-2021, 07:51   #83

THANK YOU AGAIN DAVE
Old 03-12-2021, 10:18   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Kevinh WeatherRouting uses its own units selection and is not user adjustible.
Hi Rick, don't understand what you mean - it is nothing to do with user adjustable. I reported the issue in September 2019 and it still remains unresolved.

The Route Position window reports correctly in the Eastern Hemisphere (0E - 180E), but does not work in the Western Hemisphere (0W - 180W). If the WR crosses the 180E/180W line, then the eastern side reports correctly, but not the western side.

Appears to be a minor coding issue, but how can I get this resolved? I know you are having issues with the new beta WR at present - perhaps someone can look at this as part of that beta.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:28   #85

Are you talking about setting units or about this issue
Routing at Date Line West from 180 is frozen
https://github.com/rgleason/weather_...g_pi/issues/79

If the latter, do you normally sail across this frequently?
If so, could you test it for us again? There have been some changes to O that may result in better responses. I have not tested it since the notes made in that issue. Oh I forgot, you can't use the plugins....

If you could report under this issue that would help a lot.

If you are talking about setting units, Opencpn does not universally set all plugin units. We do not have that kind of system. Each plugin sets the units used and weather_routing has no options for user settings of units at present.

Some day it would be nice to have a universal way of setting units to be used, but that will be some time from now. You should vote for this in the Vetted List under tracker.

PS: I finally looked up #2615 and realize it is another similar thing to the Weather_routing Issue above.

https://opencpn.org/flyspray/index.p...rom=&closedto=

I am sorry I don't have an answer, it is not something I can fix. Perhaps someone else has some thoughts about both of these issues.
Old 03-12-2021, 15:17   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Are you talking about setting units or about this issue
Routing at Date Line West from 180 is frozen
https://github.com/rgleason/weather_...g_pi/issues/79

If the latter, do you normally sail across this frequently?
If so, could you test it for us again? There have been some changes to O that may result in better responses. I have not tested it since the notes made in that issue. Oh I forgot, you can't use the plugins....

If you could report under this issue that would help a lot.

If you are talking about setting units, Opencpn does not universally set all plugin units. We do not have that kind of system. Each plugin sets the units used and weather_routing has no options for user settings of units at present.

Some day it would be nice to have a universal way of setting units to be used, but that will be some time from now. You should vote for this in the Vetted List under tracker.

PS: I finally looked up #2615 and realize it is another similar thing to the Weather_routing Issue above.

https://opencpn.org/flyspray/index.p...rom=&closedto=

I am sorry I don't have an answer, it is not something I can fix. Perhaps someone else has some thoughts about both of these issues.
Hi Rick, This is nothing to do with setting units in either of OpenCPN or Weather Routing PI.

I am using MacOS and don't know if the issue exists in Windows, etc.

I am in French Polynesia and I give a lot of Weather Routing help to Cruisers travelling from Tahiti to Australia, thus crossing the 180W/180E line (around Fiji if you look at the charts). For instance, running a WR across this line from say Samoa to New Caledonia, after computing the WR, select "View/Route Position" from the Menu Bar and the Route Position window will appear.

Now, trace the cursor along the WR and you will see a small blue circle progress along the WR, and a whole lot of very useful information in the Route Position window corresponding to the cursor position. As I said, it works perfectly on the western side of the 180W/180E line, but stops working on the Eastern side of the line (ie between 0W and 180W).

I suspect the same issue occurs around 0W/0E, and all the way between 180W to 0W.

I just ran a WR between Samoa and New Caledonia now, and the problem persists.

Try running a WR between Samoa and New Caledonia on Windows and see if the problem exists there.
Old 03-12-2021, 15:39   #87

Ok the problem still exists.

Kevinh See https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3303682

Therefore I wrote this Issue: https://github.com/rgleason/weather_...g_pi/issues/79

This issue exists in Windows too.

I am using MacOS and don't know if the issue exists in Windows, etc.
Quote:
I am in French Polynesia and I give a lot of Weather Routing help to Cruisers travelling from Tahiti to Australia, thus crossing the 180W/180E line (around Fiji if you look at the charts). For instance, running a WR across this line from say Samoa to New Caledonia, after computing the WR, select "View/Route Position" from the Menu Bar and the Route Position window will appear.

Now, trace the cursor along the WR and you will see a small blue circle progress along the WR, and a whole lot of very useful information in the Route Position window corresponding to the cursor position. As I said, it works perfectly on the western side of the 180W/180E line, but stops working on the Eastern side of the line (ie between 0W and 180W).

I suspect the same issue occurs around 0W/0E, and all the way between 180W to 0W.

I just ran a WR between Samoa and New Caledonia now, and the problem persists.

Try running a WR between Samoa and New Caledonia on Windows and see if the problem exists there.
The other problem is ZUZA's post

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/opencpn-beta-version-5-5-928-released-256254.html#post3517796

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn