Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 04:19   #1

OpenCPN Build on Win32

Is there a guide avaible for building opencpn on win32. I tried with watcom using the Readme file in OpenCPN but unfortunately i receive lots of errors.
Any help pls.
Thorac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 22:19   #2

Boat: Tartan 30 - Bluegrass
Send a message via Yahoo to Psyches Send a message via Skype™ to Psyches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorac View Post
Is there a guide avaible for building opencpn on win32. I tried with watcom using the Readme file in OpenCPN but unfortunately i receive lots of errors.
Any help pls.
See this post and those around it:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post361728

Watcom is no longer used. Use MSVC instead.

HTH

Mark
Psyches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:24   #3

Thank you very much for your quick response. I did what you did in the help board. Project compilied the cpp files without any error. But i included the header files. At the end i receive lots of link error. I use your project file widgets 2.8.10, I create the same folders anyway i did what u did but lots of link errors follows.
Can u pls send me your project file i think the problem is link libraries etc. I really need your help with compiling this program. Thx.

like;
1>scrollingdialog.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static class wxClassInfo wxPropertySheetDialog::ms_classInfo" (?ms_classInfo@wxPropertySheetDialog@@2VwxClassInf o@@A)
1>tcmgr.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: bool __thiscall wxTextBuffer::Exists(void)const " (?Exists@wxTextBuffer@@QBE_NXZ) referenced in function "private: void __thiscall TCMgr::LoadMRU(void)" (?LoadMRU@TCMgr@@AAEXXZ)
1>tcmgr.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: bool __thiscall wxTextBuffer::Write(enum wxTextFileType,class wxMBConv const &)" (?Write@wxTextBuffer@@QAE_NW4wxTextFileType@@ABVwx MBConv@@@Z) referenced in function "private: void __thiscall TCMgr::SaveMRU(void)" (?SaveMRU@TCMgr@@AAEXXZ)
1>tcmgr.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static enum wxTextFileType const wxTextBuffer::typeDefault" (?typeDefault@wxTextBuffer@@2W4wxTextFileType@@B)
1>tcmgr.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: bool __thiscall wxTextBuffer::Create(void)" (?Create@wxTextBuffer@@QAE_NXZ) referenced in function "private: void __thiscall TCMgr::SaveMRU(void)" (?SaveMRU@TCMgr@@AAEXXZ)
1>Debug\opencpn.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1595 unresolved externals
1>Creating browse information file...
1>Microsoft Browse Information Maintenance Utility Version 9.00.30729
1>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Devmt\Work\opencpn\opencpn\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>opencpn - 6755 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Old 05-01-2010, 18:01   #4

Sorry, I can't send it right now. As the post alluded, it won't quite work with the current (changed) source anyway. OpenCPN development is kind of "jump in, sink or swim". You'll need to debug the build yourself, and to do that and make progress, you'll need a pretty solid understanding of Win32 and VC development. Folks don't have a lot of spare time to help others with this, so either you can (a) make this a good self-learning opportunity and still hopefully contribute, or (b) find another easier environment to contribute, somewhere else.
Old 05-01-2010, 19:05   #5

Boat: Fantasia 35
Come on Mark... Help the guy out... You know you should... It's the right thing to do... Man up my friend... Show us what you are made of...
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 20:40   #6

well actually i'd be a bit more help if i could, but i honestly can't...i'm working on a borrowed laptop, and my dev env isn't even available
Old 06-01-2010, 03:49   #7

Any working version will be fine. I just want to debug the project.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:02   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef
Hi
Trying to build opencpn on a vista32 platform :
Using the method described above my first problem : In the .vcproj , it is refered to a
"wxWidgets-2.8.10\lib\vc_lib" but there is nothing like that in the wxWidgets folders
What I've missed ?
Thanks
Jean Pierre
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:09   #9

Installation on a Vista32 platform

Jean-Pierre,
wxWidgets-2.8.10 is supposed to be the directory where wxWidgets was installed. For me, it was C:\wxWidgets281.
When you install wxWidgets, you have to build it (there are several VS-project-files in C:\wxWidgets281\build\msw).
I don't remember exactly how i done it, but there is an explanation into C:\wxWidgets281\docs\msw\install.txt .
Jean-Pascal
Totobeloeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:32   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef
Thanks
I'll try that
Jean Pierre
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 20:12   #11

OpenCPN unofficial build steps for Win32, for v1.3.6

Since we don't yet have a Win32 vcproj in CVS, I've attached my working one for temporary use. See http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post361728 for process and disclaimers, and surrounding posts for good suggestions too...notably: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post361754

HTH

Mark
Attached Files
File Type: doc opencpn.zip.doc (2.6 KB, 139 views)
Old 03-02-2010, 20:59   #12

opencpn incompatible with win7

I cant seem to get opencpn to work on win7 laptop..please advise
alphamariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 17:30   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Question

Hi,

I definitly hope that here is at least one guy who can help me. I'm trying now for 3 days to compile that ...

I finally came to this point (only 5 errors left - started with more than 70):

Here is my complete debug log (only the part with the errors):
Quote:
1>------ Erstellen gestartet: Projekt: opencpn, Konfiguration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Kompilieren...
1>tri.c
1>ocpnhelper.c
1>f:\projekte\opencpn\opencpn-1.3.6\src\ocpnhelper.c(22) : fatal error C1083: Datei (Include) kann nicht geöffnet werden: "unistd.h": No such file or directory
1>macutils.c
1>d:\programme\wxwidgets-2.8.10\include\msvc\wx\setup.h(26) : fatal error C1083: Datei (Include) kann nicht geöffnet werden: "../../../lib/vc_lib/mswud/wx/setup.h": No such file or directory
1>georef.c
1>f:\projekte\opencpn\opencpn-1.3.6\src\georef.c(27) : fatal error C1083: Datei (Include) kann nicht geöffnet werden: "georef.h": No such file or directory
1>cutil.c
1>f:\projekte\opencpn\opencpn-1.3.6\src\cutil.c(78) : fatal error C1083: Datei (Include) kann nicht geöffnet werden: "cutil.h": No such file or directory
1>Code wird generiert...
1>Browseinformationsdatei wird erstellt...
1>Microsoft Browse Information Maintenance-Programm Version 9.00.30729
1>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
1>BSCMAKE: error BK1506 : Datei ".\Debug\wvschart.sbr" kann nicht geöffnet werden: No such file or directory
Let's have a closer look:
Quote:
1>ocpnhelper.c
1>f:\projekte\opencpn\opencpn-1.3.6\src\ocpnhelper.c(22) : fatal error C1083: Datei (Include) kann nicht geöffnet werden: "unistd.h": No such file or directory
1>georef.c
1>f:\projekte\opencpn\opencpn-1.3.6\src\georef.c(27) : fatal error C1083: Datei (Include) kann nicht geöffnet werden: "georef.h": No such file or directory
1>cutil.c
1>f:\projekte\opencpn\opencpn-1.3.6\src\cutil.c(78) : fatal error C1083: Datei (Include) kann nicht geöffnet werden: "cutil.h": No such file or directory
Where are these files?
I couldn't find them in the repository/ source.

Quote:
1>macutils.c
1>d:\programme\wxwidgets-2.8.10\include\msvc\wx\setup.h(26) : fatal error C1083: Datei (Include) kann nicht geöffnet werden: "../../../lib/vc_lib/mswud/wx/setup.h": No such file or directory
Even though I'm quite sure, that I've set up wxWidgets correctly I do not have a directory called 'mswud'!
The path to the setup.h file on my system is: D:\Programme\wxWidgets-2.8.10\lib\vc_lib\msw\wx\setup.h

Quote:
1>BSCMAKE: error BK1506 : Datei ".\Debug\wvschart.sbr" kann nicht geöffnet werden: No such file or directory
Where comes this error from?

Help is very much appreciated!

And a brief tutorial "How to compile for WIN 32" would also be very helpful (if you don't want only Linux guys to test the program)!
BTW: The threads here like http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/help-faq-30943-5.html#post361728
aren't really helpful because they lack some very importent parts e.g. the config settings for MS C++.

Gunther
Netsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 20:44   #14

Gunther, it looks like some things are messed up in your build environment. It's hard to tell it all with the german language output.

re: your ocpnhelper.c problem: I'm not sure where you got your vcproj file. This file isn't in the new vcproj I posted, and it wasn't in the original one either. The .c file is no longer used, just hasn't been deleted in cvs yet. Note that there may be a few others like this.

I suggest you start with the new vcproj I gave (for 1.3.6, the old was 1.3.4), because that is the only one that is a good bet to use with the corresponding instructions.

re: georef.c problem: georef.h is in the opencpn/include directory; if you don't have it, you have a messed up cvs structure. If you didn't follow the instructions carefully, the compiler include directories in the vcproj won't be correct, and you'll get this error.

I'm not sure which config things you think are missing from the instructions - all the compile config is in the vcproj. I mentioned in the initial instructions that the first who follow them are guinea pigs - AFAIK, there has only been one user, Totobeloeil, and he had immediate and great success, and offered suggestions for improvements that will be incorporated if this gets checked into cvs (if we go away from CMake for win32). So you may be the 2nd guinea pig; feel free to also update the instructions or the project content itself to benefit others.

Mark
Old 05-02-2010, 20:46   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamariner View Post
I cant seem to get opencpn to work on win7 laptop..please advise
alphamariner, we need more details.