Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2019, 11:00   #16

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: OpenCPN crashes constantly

Thanks, so you are pretty sure it is a change in Opencpn between v4.8.8 and v5.0?

Quote:
The title was chosen, because version 4.8.8 was not giving me these problems, and also SeaClear did not have any problem with these cables and drivers (I am using it already some 8 years). So probably something ('memory-allocation' or 'interrupts' ?) was changed in the new version 5.0.0 and I cannot figure out what it could be.
It sounds to me like you've covered the bases here.

If so, can you write this up in Tracker please.

Label it Bug under Opencpn v5.0, then explain as carefully and detailed as possible what you have done and what your have found, and please make a link to this thread.

If you have not used Tracker, it is upper right on the website opencpn.org
Register and then login again and make your report.

Thank you for your patience and care. The dev team may be contacting you later.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 07:09   #17

58gschol

Just to be totally clear.

Is this happening with a stripped down configuration? IE just the cable connected? and No USB Hub?
Old 26-06-2019, 07:50   #18
Marine Service Provider

"Is this happening with a stripped down configuration? IE just the cable connected? and No USB Hub?"

This is the key. If this works correctly, i.e. one computer, one USB adapter, one GPS receiver, then we can clear the cable, and focus on the hub.

As in all debugging of complex systems, the way to isolate problems is to build from the simplest possible configuration until you encounter a reproducible fault. And there is the smoking gun...

Good luck
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 04:00   #19

Boat: Barkas Classic 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
"Is this happening with a stripped down configuration? IE just the cable connected? and No USB Hub?"

This is the key. If this works correctly, i.e. one computer, one USB adapter, one GPS receiver, then we can clear the cable, and focus on the hub.

As in all debugging of complex systems, the way to isolate problems is to build from the simplest possible configuration until you encounter a reproducible fault. And there is the smoking gun...
Thanks for the response; I did make a test-situation at home (I am living to far away from the boat, to test everything there).
  1. I did connect a GPS-mouse to laptop-1 at Com-8 (4800bps).
  2. The signal will be transfered via USB connection to a Miniplex-Lite (4800bps)
  3. From the Miniplex-Lite, I did connect laptop-2 via a Prolific cable (4800bps).
  4. On laptop-2 I did run SeaClear, without any problems.
  5. Closing SeaClear and after that disconnecting the Prolific cable, then the driver will be removed from the list in 'Device Manager' on Laptop-2.
  6. Connecting the cable again, the driver will be displayed in the list again.
  7. However, when I open OCPN 5.0.0, the communications stops after a while (when I wait longer, the system will crash 'screen-of-death').
  8. Closing OCPN and after that disconnecting the Prolific cable, then the driver will be removed from the list in 'Device Manager' on Laptop-2.
  9. Connecting the cable again however, the driver will not be displayed in the list again. And searching for updates, will hang the system; even closing Windows, will not be possible; I have to press the power-button for 5 seconds, to close the system

This is the most simplistic connecting I can make at home, and it will not work in Windows-7 Professional, a Prolific connection and OCPN 5.0.0.

Regards,
58gschol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 05:28   #20
Marine Service Provider

Seems clear (to me) that the trouble is with laptop-2 and the Prolific driver. Especially considering Step 9.
Are you using an "official" Prolific device? There are some counterfeit clones on the market that are known to cause trouble...
Prolific driver: Do not depend on Microsoft update to provide the correct driver. Go directly to Prolific website, download and install the latest driver package.

Good luck
Dave
Old 27-06-2019, 07:38   #21

or it could be that mini-plex isnt working, I think. That was the first thing Hakan questioned.
Old 27-06-2019, 09:44   #22

For everyone:

All the equipment in this test environment is different as it was installed on the boat. The only equipment which is the same are the laptops (laptop-2 in the test envirenment).
So different Serial-2-USB cable, and different MiniPlex.
In case it would be the MiniPlex, then both pieces of equipment would have the same problem; keeps the question high, why both pieces of equipment are working correctly with Windows-7 Home-Premium, while there is no specific driver installed, besides the driver for the Serial-2-USB cable (Prolific).

Regards,
Old 10-07-2019, 10:46   #23

Hello everyone,

Today, I did a thorough test with different laptops, in combination with the equipment on board.
I did use 5 different laptops, containing different Windows configuration, using OCPN version 5.0.0 and 4.8.8. All the communication ports are configured the same. Test-periods were minimal 15 minute per setup (or less in case of issues).

See the results in attached file (green means 'no problems seen'; red means 'having issues'). Showing at the bottom, the Com-port configuration used on all setup's.

In case the Com-ports were hung-up, then Windows will not close properly, and it's only possible to close Windows with a hard reset (holding down the power-button).

My simply conclusion, based on that information, is that OCPN 5.0.0 does not like to have Prolific cables in combination with 64-bit Windows configuration, as well in combination with the Windows Professional edition.
The only exception I did see is the Professional setup on the nx9420-laptop; kept working. And the Home-Premium edition on the 9450-laptop; gives a "Screen-of-death'.

This was just meant as an add-on for the previous communication.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Laptop-Windows test - Prolific driver.pdf (183.8 KB, 36 views)
Old 10-07-2019, 11:25   #24

Boat: Amel Sharki

Between OpenCPN v4.8.8 and OpenCPN v5.0 the serial communication functions have strongly changed and it might be these changes have not been tested enough before publishing v5.0.
Because there are also other known bugs of v5.0 and since 2 months there are no fixes seen I recommend to use still v4.8.8.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 13:02   #25

Boat: Vulcain Transat 36 Alu

I'm happy that I found this thread as I have the same problems and tested a lot and now I know, that I'm not alone.
I did all my testing with three different computers, all using Win 10 pro (1909) and OpenCPN 5.0.0. Same result on all my computers so this is probably not a PC hardware problem.

I have tested with 7 different Prolific adapters:
not OK: one counterfied PL2303 chip in an adapter cable sold by Logilink
not OK: one is a PL2303HXA (dated out since 2012 and only works when an old Prolific driver 3.2.x or 3.3.x is used) in an adapter cable
not OK: one is a PL2303HXA (dated out ...) in a NMEA multiplexer
not OK: one is a PL2303HXA (dated out ...) in a RS-422 to USB adapter box ICP-Com 7561
not OK: one is a PL2303HXD (what can be used with the newes driver 3.8.31.0 delivered by Microsoft updates) in a notebook docking station with serial port (Delock)
OK: one is a PL2303HXD (newest driver) in a RS-422 to USB adapter box ICP-Com 7561
OK: one is a PL2303HXD (newest driver) in a RS-422 to USB adapter box Expert EX 9530
OK: one S2U-adapter cable using a chips from FTDI (not Prolific)
OK: and three different real hardware RS-232C interfaces.

Here is a list what came out of my testing:
The problem does not exist in OpenCPN 4.8.8. Only in 5.0.0 it comes up some seconds or sometimes minutes after opening the port.
The problem does not exist for the FTDI adapter and also not for the real RS-232C ports. It only exists for Prolific adapters.
There are no problems while testing with Hyperterminal. The problems only exist with OpenCPN 5.0.0
With all adapters it works for a shot time and if OpenCPN does not like an adapter, the problem comes up within 5 minutes.
The problem exists for most prolific adapters but not for all of them. Two of seven did not show up the problem.
The problem exists for all my older Prolific adapters HXA but only for one of the newer HXD type. I will test this again.

When the problem comes up one of the following two things will happen with all of the adapters:
1) The flow of data stopps. When I shut down OpenCPN there is a hanging module 'Chart Plotter and Navigator (32 Bit)' in task manager.
Unplugging the S2U-Adapter helps to be able to fully shut down OpenCPN. No PC reset is required, after plugging in again it will work again for a short time.
2) Computer runs into a blue screen of death containing one of three possible error messages:
a) Multiple IRP complete requests
b) Page fault in non paged area
c) Driver IRQL not less or equal
and after some time the computer re-starts.

For me it is not an option to replace my faulty Prolific adapters as they are integrated part of a multiplexer and a docking station what cannot be replaced as they are parts of a complex and expensive structure of navigation devices in a network.
So I think that I will have to go back to OpenCPN 4.8.8 until the problems have been fixed in a later release.
Doentje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 01:19   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doentje View Post
For me it is not an option to replace my faulty Prolific adapters as they are integrated part of a multiplexer and a docking station what cannot be replaced as they are parts of a complex and expensive structure of navigation devices in a network.
So I think that I will have to go back to OpenCPN 4.8.8 until the problems have been fixed in a later release.
Hello Doentje,

My first reaction was the same as yours; go back to 4.8.8. But spending some time on the issue (sometimes 4.8.8 did crash on Windows-10 as well), I decided to stick to the 5.0.0, but downgrading the Windows version to Windows-7 Home-Premium.
It did solve my 'crash'-problem, and as well, it did solve a performance problem on the used laptop (Compaq CQ57).
Turn off the Windows-Update and sail happy; waiting for the updated version of OpenCPN, with a modified USB-interface.

Best wishes, and many sea-miles.
Old 26-02-2020, 06:13   #27

Hello 58gschol,
I had tested to install OCPN 5.0 and 4.8 in parallel. It works, but brings a lot of confusion as both versions seem to share the configuration. So I also decided to only use OCPN 5.0 in future.
For me it is not an option to go back to Win7 as lifetime has ended and there would be a risk to lose O-Charts licenses. I have fought for 5 years now against Win10 automatic updates and my solution is to use NetLimiter4 to block all update activities to avoid trouble while sailing and to save mobile communication costs. This works very well for two years, now.
I think we have to give more information to the OCPN developers to clarify that this problem is more urgent. So I did a lot of additional tests.
For this reason I would like to know, which Prolific chip causes your problem and which driver you have tried to use.
We have to distinguish between old Prolific chips like PL-2303 XA/HXA which require old drivers like version 3.2.x.x or 3.3.x.x (I prefer 3.3.2.102) and new chips like PL-2303 HXD with new driver (currently 3.8.31.0).
There is a tool you can download from Prolific’s web-site which allows reading the exact chip type: PL2303_CheckChipVersion_v1006. Use new drivers for this. The tool gives wrong information if used with old drivers!
It never has been a problem, to use the old driver for old and new chips at the same time.
With Win 10 release 1909 MS has improved the new driver and now it is able to recognize and block old chips. Unfortunately the old drivers are not anymore compatible what means, if you install an old driver for an old chip and a new driver for a new chip next to each other, also the new chip driver will crash OCPN. If you remove the old driver OCPN does not run into a problem when you only use the new driver, but adaptors with old chip do not work. It would be the best not to use old Prolific chips, but unfortunately old chips exist in our installed hardware.
As we cannot expect a solution coming from Prolific (this company has created all the problems because new drivers do not support old hardware) nor a solution from Microsoft, the only chance is to hope for a more tolerant OCPN NMEA interface like it was available in version 4.8.
My workaround now is to re-route all the navigation information from the multiplexer’s RS-422 port through my Amec AIS which uses an FTDI chip for USB adaption. This causes some delay but works very well.
Old 26-02-2020, 20:29   #28
Marine Service Provider

Doentje...
I appreciate all the test effort you have done to try to isolate Prolific device and driver dependencies. Very informative, if complex.

Having looked thru my "spares" box, I find a USB-serial adapter that Win10 reports as having "HXA" chip, ca 2012. An older device, surely.

So, I would like to try to use this device to debug the persistent driver problems on OCPN-5 with Prolific hardware.

1. Which driver should I use to most likely cause a quick failure with this device on O5? A link would be good, if possible.

Thanks
Dave
Old 27-02-2020, 03:26   #29

Dave,

thanks for your reply.
Your PL-2303 HXA is what you need for testing. It seems to be an original Prolific, not a counterfeit chip.

Use this link to find the most popular old chip's driver solution: https://www.ifamilysoftware.com/down.html
Look for: Prolific PL-2303 HX/HXA Windows 64-bit Installer.

This solution fully removes the new driver before the old one is installed. This is important, because a driver package consists of some files and if you have installed old and new drivers at the same time, the drivers will share some resources and the resource files have to be of the old type to make it work.

This old driver solution has worked well for many years for all old and new and also counterfeit Prolific chips up to OCPN 4.8.
Run OCPN 5.0 and see it crash within some seconds or minutes. If only the NMEA flow hangs, unplug and re-plug in the USB-adapter, this works as a an interface reset. Sometimes it crashes to a blue screen.

Best regards, Doentje
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Testresults.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	209599  
Old 27-02-2020, 06:37   #30
Marine Service Provider

Doentje...

Thanks for the info and link.
Yep, immediate crash with this driver combo on O5. Blue screen reboot.

So, now to dig in....

Thanks
Dave

Tags
enc, opencpn