Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2019, 12:36   #1

Boat: 44ft mono hull
Opencpn error mesage and a question

Hi All

Ive been using open cpn for a while and last night recieved an error massage. When I clicked ok the programme was working fine, but I dont know what it means, so was hoping someone could shed some light!I have attached a screen shot below. #

The secodn question is that when I overly google map images on opencpn I need to adjust the chart to match the image. I am currently doing this by placing a couple of way points on the google image and also the chart and then using the offset menu to align them. This is pretty slow and works by trial and error soI was wondering if there is an esier or more efficient way to do it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	opencpn error.PNG
Views:	105
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	188350  
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 12:49   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Opencpn error mesage and a question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
Hi All

Ive been using open cpn for a while and last night recieved an error massage. When I clicked ok the programme was working fine, but I dont know what it means, so was hoping someone could shed some light!I have attached a screen shot below. #
Does not look like an error message. As far as I can tell after a basic search through the code there is no place in the whole OpenCPN source code tree matching text "Please enter" followed by what could result in what you see so I would suspect it is an information message from some of the plugins.

Quote:
The secodn question is that when I overly google map images on opencpn I need to adjust the chart to match the image. I am currently doing this by placing a couple of way points on the google image and also the chart and then using the offset menu to align them. This is pretty slow and works by trial and error soI was wondering if there is an esier or more efficient way to do it?
What do you mean by "overlaying google map images on opencpn" exactly? Most of the people use GE2KAP to generate KAP charts with such imagery or generate MBTiles using Eg SASPlanet. Neither of these require any manual actions you describe.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 08:37   #3

Boat: 44ft mono hull

Hi Nohal

Ill rephrase and try to be clearer

So I have KAP files from google earth, when I view them in Open CPN the charts and the KAP images don't match up. I have been using the offset functions to get the KAP images and the charts to match by putting waypoint on both the charts and the KAP images and then adjusting the x and y accordingly, but I was wondering if there is an easier/quicker way to make the adjustments?
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 08:40   #4

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Hi Nohal

So I have KAP files from google earth, when I view them in Open CPN the charts and the KAP images don't match up. I have been using the offset functions to get the KAP images and the charts to match by putting waypoint on both the charts and the KAP images and then adjusting the x and y accordingly, but I was wondering if there is an easier/quicker way to make the adjustments?
And what is wrong? The "charts" or your KAPs? In either case, OpenCPN by itself can do nothing about it, it just shows you the data presented by the charts, if they are wrong, what you see of course is wrong.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 16:32   #5
Moo

Quote:
Hi Nohal

If the files from GE have been made correctly, and depending on where in the world you are, the GE images may well be more accurate, or to a different datum, etc, etc. Dont move anything until you know which is correct and what is the cause of the error.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn