Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2015, 06:43   #91

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: OpenCPN for Android Alpha test 4.1.409

IMHO

One thing that could possibly be adjusted is how the menu style is set.

As is, it is a PC-style pop-up box style. However, given the interface (I think touch, for most) and the screen (I think max 10'', for most) a plain Android style (mobile phone style) roll-out menu interface would be the most toucher friendly option.

I am aware this is a maybe-future and there is likely considerable workload to achieve this. But as this is the biggest shortcoming I have found in AOCPN, I report this for future consideration.

More testing tonight.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:53   #92

Boat: 29'

oh joy! I have it working now on lenovo ideatab (Android 4.0.3) I can't update it without sailing through fire so I won't.
...the black boxes I had are dialogues that I can't read without intent peering.The first was the welcome message that I was able to get past by editing the ini file..later, I see what I think are "wx"? warnings when I try to move the toolbar out of the way...

Hate the toolbar. The menu seems a better way2go. .. like the chartbar but I think it will have to go too and be just in the menu as choose larger/smaller scale. Quilting should take care of the rest as in pinching and all...
So I suppose it's about removing widgets..? to unclutter the tiny screens these things have. The gps indicator will hopefully stay though.

GOOD -GPS works great, kap (raster) charts are fine. Screen size report is good.
O on tablet is already better than Marine Navigator (Kemiro?)that I have been fiddling with.

PS dragging an O shortcut to a screen is not persistent on here...
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:45   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
In my case at

my directories/storage/emulated/0/.opencpn

Hubert
What's the name of the config file? I found the folder, but can't find the file. Maybe it's hidden from my file manager apps.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:51   #94

RythmDoctor,
on mine it is /sdcard/.opencpn/opencpn.conf

(ooh! I got cm93 working too! with lights and buoys!)

added FYI: anybody else with black box messages? if so, you will need a very dark place to read them and respond...if you use "Exit" from the menu, the closing message is about chart cache purge..."ok" is the only thing available so far-it is in the middle of the bottom portion.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:01   #95
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

The file is - as Happy already said - opencpn.conf

There had been some setting to show hidden files, but don't remember exactly where....

The log and the navobj.xml are in the same folder
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:11   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Thanks. Changing the route line width to "3" did the trick.

An additional note. It may be that once a .gpx file is imported the import is not persistent. But, I haven't determined yet if this is repeatable, related to O itself or possibly on rebooting the tablet.

One question. Normally if O is not closed properly previous work and changes to settings are not saved. But, I don't see a close option. Is everything saved when O is closed using the android back function?
Clarifying settings and importation of .gpx are persistent after closing O with the device 'back' button. Some android apps close in this manner, others have a 'quit' option.

I have got to say after waiting way too long for charts to load while viewing an area of Australia including New Caledonia, this will hopefully be an issue restricted to early development. Otherwise this will be a fatal flaw. I do not experience this problem running O in a linux chroot environment.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:17   #97
bcn

Quote:
I have got to say after waiting way too long for charts to load while viewing an area of Australia including New Caledonia, this will hopefully be an issue restricted to early development. Otherwise this will be a fatal flaw. I do not experience this problem running O in a linux chroot environment.
Wrong,

which charts? raster or vector?

Had no problem neither with CM nor with US RNCs. ENCs do not work correctly as reported by several testers.

Hubert
Old 12-04-2015, 11:13   #98

Quote:
The file is - as Happy already said - opencpn.conf

There had been some setting to show hidden files, but don't remember exactly where....

The log and the navobj.xml are in the same folder
For me, I think it was a matter of finding a good FileManager
I am using ESFile Explorer but there are others, no doubt
Old 12-04-2015, 12:33   #99

Quote:
Wrong,

which charts? raster or vector?

Had no problem neither with CM nor with US RNCs. ENCs do not work correctly as reported by several testers.

Hubert
CM93 vector charts. The problem is not with viewing them, eventually... They display, but only after the spinning thingy seems to spin for an eternity. In the meanwhile nothing can be done but wait. Can't cancel loading and move on, perhaps reducing the scale to exclude part of the larger area. One other thing, but I doubt it is a factor. Lots of marks and routes in the view. But they display fine.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:36   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
For me, I think it was a matter of finding a good FileManager
I am using ESFile Explorer but there are others, no doubt
Download FX file manager. None better. If your device is rooted you'll want to download the FX Root Extension too.
Old 12-04-2015, 14:01   #101
bcn

Quote:
CM93 vector charts. The problem is not with viewing them, eventually... They display, but only after the spinning thingy seems to spin for an eternity. In the meanwhile nothing can be done but wait. Can't cancel loading and move on, perhaps reducing the scale to exclude part of the larger area. One other thing, but I doubt it is a factor. Lots of marks and routes in the view. But they display fine.
NW Australia is bringing my device as well to a break-down. Haven't seen that with Med CMs
Old 12-04-2015, 15:06   #102

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Used it today to navigate to waypoints in a route (well, the laptop did that, but I monitored it on the phone) Dashboard comes up with nothing, just the frames.

Font size in UI settings seem to do nothing.
Old 12-04-2015, 17:00   #103

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Clarifying settings and importation of .gpx are persistent after closing O with the device 'back' button. Some android apps close in this manner, others have a 'quit' option.

I tried E Australia BSB they load fine. I can't say fast, but once they load up, they run fine for regular use.

I noticed AOCPN works faster when only one type of charts is loaded up at a time: e.g. BSB charts only: moderately fast, BSB and CMAP (using only one at a time) slow (esp BSB).

I must admit my test machine is probably oldest and weakest of the pack (Iconia B1). I tested on a faster newer machine but could not see noticeable difference.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 20:02   #104

cm93?...I have sorted some into areas(as in WestCoast NA-Hawaii )...a bit like my offline-type openstreetmaps on here-I can quickly load a province and even a country but not the world.

...pleased to say my own tide and currents work though the packaged ones do not....and the toolbar is reduceable...I'm not really a Tablet-type and it took me too long to remember the tablet tap-and-hold feature to get at these...

changing fonts has worked for me.

I get this often: I THINK it says

"WXWidgets Debug Alert
src/common/xpmdecod.cpp(821) assert"i**colors.cnt"
failed in Read Data()

Do you want to stop the program?
You can also choose [Cancel] to suppress further warnings

Yes No Cancel "
but O seems to work ok despite it so it can't be too important?
but I can only barely see it in the dark....and the screen around it is bright blank which doesn't help. The poor display of these messages are likely the fault of this tablet's theme???
Old 12-04-2015, 23:49   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Hello testers...

About those toolbar icons:
The android UI guidelines suggest that the nominal minimum size for a finger press button should be 9 mm square.

OA attempts to size the toolbar buttons to this size. They are typically grown by rescaling the built-in (desktop) icons, and so suffer from scaling artifacts.

We plan to build native android tool icons that look good at 9 mm, but that artistic effort has not been started yet. All in good time...

So, for this test cycle, we need to know:
1. Does the OA default screen size calculation work for your device, resulting in 9 mm icons?
2. If the default calculation is wrong, and you override it in "options->display->advanced->Screen size", do the toolbar icons then show as 9 mm square?

I am not (yet) interested in whether you think 9 mm is too big, or too small. That is a design discussion yet to be started, not an implementation discussion. We will get to that soon enough.

Thanks
Dave
When I set the screen size to auto, the icons are about 6 mm, but when I set it manually to 250 mm the size of the icons is correct (9mm)
All on a 10'' Asus TF700.

I made the characters a little smaller because the waypoint names were not shown completely, however the numbers are still larger than the characters and the spaces are even larger.

I'll try to attach an image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-04-13-08-21-22.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	100338  
Hans Fix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn