Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2015, 23:19   #121

Boat: Rawson 30 PH
Re: OpenCPN for Android Beta test 4.1.530

is it possible that O is affecting the charging of my tablet? galaxy tab 3.

I'm loosing battery ground with O running, the tablet is just barley noticibly warm, and the wall wort is not warm at All. It usually runs hotter with video playing, and still charges fine...

I dont think this is a hardware issue either...
joel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 00:06   #122

the waypoint artifacts are attacking! there seems to be more waypoint artifacts on the screen now. I have not tried to fix yet... did anyone want logs first?

I have taken O out for a spin on the roads on dash of my car, and it seems to leave a nice track, I was driving so I wasn't able to watch it.
Old 15-06-2015, 07:00   #123

Boat: 29'

"When Waypoint Artifacts Attack!" ..sounds like a great movie. Have you got a script? seriously, sounds weird!
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 07:34   #124

added later per "Wpt ATTACK": possibly the navobj.xml file or one of the backups was corrupted by the transfer. ...I think I had a similar sort of issue earlier upthread- but no bitemarks like you have
You might read something in the log about it, but you might not too. (by the way, I recall O android writes a new log on every startup so you need get the one where things are bad immediately...
Old 15-06-2015, 21:05   #125
Marine Service Provider

joel...

There are no widespread reports of waypoint artifacts. I've never seen one except on a crash, where the navobj changes file gets scrambled.

What are your user interactions that provoke these attacks? Maybe some others can duplicate, and we can get to the root cause.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 23:18   #126

Been testing this From the beginning and very impressed with all the good work. Only issue I've found apart from those mentioned is inability to remove/delete folders which I have added in the tides and currents section.
Again, well done!
Bush boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 00:25   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
joel...

There are no widespread reports of waypoint artifacts. I've never seen one except on a crash, where the navobj changes file gets scrambled.

What are your user interactions that provoke these attacks? Maybe some others can duplicate, and we can get to the root cause.

Thanks
Dave
Dave,

It first occurred when when I uploaded the attached route, my proposed route later this summer.

I have a lot of very detailed maps to go along with this area because of the inherent hazards of 15-20ft tides and narrow passages(300ft at the narrowest@ 6-9 knts current flow).

It's my vague feeling that O or my processor doesn't like large amounts of data... I have problems sometimes with the quilting not showing the correct level of data, with blank areas of larger scale maps covering smaller scale ones, I will try to qualify and quantify so we get away from touchy feely stuff.

Here is my total activity:

test#1
load apk
link to chart folder with all charts
result: dead Opencpn, dead upon removal and re-install
solution: kill the opencpn.config file and re-install apk
result: everything A-OK

test #2
load folders that contain individual maps one at a time(painfully because of small folders and fat fingers, as discussed)
result: mostly A-OK, scrolling with so much data present, is slower, but manageable, will have to play with quilting and maps to display to fine tune, and paring down available data.

test #3
create route ~800nmi with 130ish waypoints on laptop, export to Google Drive
download on tablet the GPX attached
upload into O
all is good, until artifacts start to show up on map, and continue to get worse with every session, not debilitating yet, but annoying.

test #4
Take O out for a spin, mainly to test on-board gps functionality and battery life,
Result: tracked like a champ with accuracy to about 20-30'
only used ~10% in about 30min of continuous run time.
discussion: I really need to quantify this number under the harshest conditions so I can have a good baseline to go by on the boat, although the reality is, that it should be charging any time possible, if being used for navigation.

the only other thing I did was use the native app manager to move O to the "sdcard", whicch as far as I can tell didn't happen.

Maybe i'm doing too much at once... I will go back and try to replicate the big crash and the artifacts, and define these bugs individually, methodically.

I found this in the log
-----
Loading World Chart Q=0 in 0 ms.
GSHHS World chart files have wrong version. Found 0, expected 210-220.
Loading World Chart Q=2 in 0 ms.
Warning: Color not found UINFR
Loading navobjects from navobj.xml
Error: Impossible to set permissions for the file '/mnt/sdcard/.opencpn/navobj.xml.5' (error 1: Operation not permitted)
Error: Impossible to set permissions for the file '/mnt/sdcard/.opencpn/navobj.xml.4' (error 1: Operation not permitted)
Error: Impossible to set permissions for the file '/mnt/sdcard/.opencpn/navobj.xml.3' (error 1: Operation not permitted)
Error: Impossible to set permissions for the file '/mnt/sdcard/.opencpn/navobj.xml.2' (error 1: Operation not permitted)
Error: Impossible to set permissions for the file '/mnt/sdcard/.opencpn/navobj.xml.1' (error 1: Operation not permitted)
Done loading navobjects
Opening NMEA Datastream
GPS_ON OK
----

look suspicious? maybe because I "moved" it to the sdcard.

I will kill all traces of O and then try to replicate.

P.S. the picture is all Artifacts. they seem to multiply when zoomed in. That is max zoom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15june.png
Views:	149
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	103814  
Attached Files
File Type: doc opencpn.log.doc (6.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: doc insidepassage1.gpx.doc (55.0 KB, 55 views)
Old 16-06-2015, 00:51   #128

so... i'm lacking a bit of hands on knowledge of O because I've been an armchair sailor for so long, but the real tracks I made the other day are not in the Route Manager under tracks... but they show the default purple line on the map, is this normal? when I choose export all visable everything is ok and it asks me to name it and saves it to the folder of my choice ok.
Old 16-06-2015, 02:34   #129

test #1:
1. Install apk

2. change UI scale factor +1 notch

3. add connection>built in gps(error internal gps disabled>enable)OK

wait for gps to aquire(inside the house in Alaska, could be a while... put near window, get up take a leak, walk out side and wave tablet around, change to ignore sentences) Ding! instant GPS lock. Get very disoriented and realize that I've lost a pint of blood to the mosquitoes and that I look as crazy as the meth lab neighbors that blew up their RV last year; walking around on the top of my tool truck @ 12:30am with no shirt or shoes on. Change map to north up, all is back to "normal" now.)

4. settings>charts>add>dir=(storage/extSdCard/boat/charts/bsb_root)>apply>ok takes estimetedd 47 sec to load

5. map not scrolling properly. Every time I try to scroll it jumps back after letting go (over half the distance)
And it zooms in every time i try to scroll

6. Realize nearby city is spelled wrong.

7. when zooming in, scale is not auto changing (quilting is enabled)

8. Auto-zooming has stopped now

9. manual scaling using the bottom buttons works once, on the second try i get an orange ring of death, program does not respond to any input, although Android has not frozen (top menu bar works, home button works)

10. navigate to apps menu and tap Opencpn

11.I get the initial white screen with a blue bar across the top with the O logo, but nothing loads.

12. hit home button and immediately go to storage/emulated/0/.opencpn and upload log, chartlist, conf, and navob>> attached to this post.

13.try to open O again>>nothing changes.

14. close all open apps retry opening O

15. Ahhh the familiar black screen of... Wait! it works! and now with auto-scaling

16. download insidepassage.gpx from google drive to downloads folder... upload to O in route manager(found in storage/sdfcard0/download)

17. route name does not appear in RM click OK. route appears on nav screen OK. look for artifacts... wait for it... they start to appear the closer i move to the highest density of waypoints. zooming in on an area far away from waypoints produces no artifacts

18.long tap route: route properties: route name and properties look ok. scroll bar dragging direction is inverted from real life ie: i drag down the bar and the window scrolls up... although tapping in the open spaces of the bar does move the page in the right direction

19.Realize its almost 2AM and that I have to get up in the morning for work.

I think I will try to kill the battery tomorrow by changing the automatic screen saver settings to never and leaving O running with all bells and whistles going while @ work. I have gone from 55% to 35% in the last hr, with GPS and tracking going inside the house.

edit: closed an re-opened O and still no name in RM,
restarted Android OS and route name appeared
Attached Files
File Type: doc chartlist.dat.doc (132.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: doc navobj.xml.changes.doc (1.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: doc opencpn.conf.doc (8.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: doc opencpn.log.doc (174.6 KB, 55 views)
Old 16-06-2015, 08:20   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel383 View Post
so... i'm lacking a bit of hands on knowledge of O because I've been an armchair sailor for so long, but the real tracks I made the other day are not in the Route Manager under tracks... but they show the default purple line on the map, is this normal? when I choose export all visable everything is ok and it asks me to name it and saves it to the folder of my choice ok.
It's a "normal" bug in this Beta that Ptizef found upthread here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1839399

I'm just guessing but I think it's Bad News if you find that file named navobj.xml.changes.When things are going ok, I don't have one.

By the way, if you remember can you mention what android version you have evry so often ?just in case you are fighting a flavour of the Android UsrProtection(sic) .
GalaxyTab3 means nothing to me except I think it's a samsung.
Old 16-06-2015, 08:39   #131

I am looking at your Inside Passage.gpx on the laptop with Opencpn 4.0 and there are weirdnesses in it . The blue diamonds don't appear in the RM as WPTS so it looks like there might be something wrong with this route . Did you use "existing waypoints" in the route itself?
If I'm right, I wouldn't use it in this Android beta...might create an issue that doesn't exist with this O
Old 16-06-2015, 09:58   #132

I was having trouble making the route with the routing tool so I used the suggestion in the manual and created a bunch of way points and joined them with the route tool.

Android 4.4.1

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-06-2015, 12:48   #133
Marine Service Provider

Hello testers....

I am looking at various Android version compatibility issues today. I have run across a funny problem.

On Android 4.2.1, on a BluPhone 5.5, when I set OCPN to options->UserInterface->ShowMenuBar true, I do not see the expected Android ActionBar.

Trying the same on Android 4.2.2 generic tablet, I see the Action Bar just fine.

Googling around on this, I find there is some difference in the way ActionBar is handled depending upon whether the device has a physical menu key or not. The Blu has one, the tablet doesn't.

For reference, the Action Bar is that bar near the top of the screen with the OA icon, and "OpenCPN" title.

Screenshots attached.

So, the question:
Is anybody NOT seeing the Action Bar when ShowMenuBar is true?

Please test, and post results, with screenshots if able. Also, presence or absence of hardware keys will be relevant.

Thanks
Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	blu_no_actionbar.png
Views:	163
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	103844   Click image for larger version

Name:	tablet_actionbar.png
Views:	164
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	103845  

bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 02:54   #134

Boat: vd Stadt 44, Ben the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Hello testers....

I am looking at various Android version compatibility issues today. I have run across a funny problem.
Dave
Please see attached pics, all ok
Galaxy Tab s 10
Android 5.02 original
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2015-06-17-11-44-53.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	103861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-06-17-11-46-38.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	103862  

champ8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 13:50   #135

Hi Dave :

Can't see any menu bar, see attachments.

Samsung GALAXY Note 10.1 - 2014 Edition
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2015-06-17-14-27-39.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	103882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-06-17-14-33-50.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	103883  

jpiebrig is offline   Reply With Quote