Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 19:56   #196

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: OpenCPN for Mac

I'm not sure what the question is - OCPN installs like any other Mac program. Specifically, download the .dmg file, double-click on it to mount the image if it doesn't happen automagically, then copy the application to the Application folder. For GPS input you will use the USB just like on PC. Download and install charts somewhere (try Documents/Charts), then set up OCPN as usual.

How about trying first, then post if you have problems? We'll still be here...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 20:01   #197

Was seeing a beta download for mac and another different one.. confused to which download to use for mac
rumtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 20:10   #198

Just as with the Windows world, you have a choice of using the stable release (3.2.2 in this case) or the beta release (currently 3.3.1117). The beta releases have been very good, so I would choose the beta. Still, if you were to be leaving tomorrow it might make sense to go with the proven stable. Your choice.

Greg
Old 02-01-2014, 01:26   #199

Boat: Amel Sharki

runtum,
Mac OS X 10.9.1 is the latest Mac operating system also called Mavericks. The old OS was called Mountain Lion and even older ones was Leopard and Snow Leopard.
Thunderbolt is a fast bus system introduced in newer Mac hardware for displays, hard drives and other devices.
All this has nothing to do with installing OpenCPN.
As already mentioned here simply download the dmg file, open it in Finder and drag the OpenCPN.app out of the opened dmg window to your application folder. That's all.

Gerhard
CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:54   #200

Boat: Hanse 385

Mavericks does changes things slightly in so much that it won't allow OpenCPN to run directly. You have to first go into Applications, then right click and open. It'll then ask if you're sure. Once you click yes you can then run it normally.

Something to do with the new licensing / security settings in Mavericks I think. Maybe it was something to do with that?

Regards,
Simon
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:13   #201

Simon,
that have been also before with Mountain Lion.
You have to go to Settings/Security and have to allow apps downloads without restrictions. Other choices are to allow only apps from the App-Store or from verified developers which is not the case for OpenCPN.

This security system should prevent the user to install malware.

Gerhard
Old 02-01-2014, 03:19   #202

Boat: Hanse 385

Hi,

Yes you can do it that way, but that unlocks it for all apps. As I mentioned I just right click and open when it first installs. This tells mavericks to bypass this for just that app.

Regards,
Simon
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:00   #203

I suggest to bring OpenCPN to the Apple App-Store when the S-63 Plug-In is ready and so OpenCPN is becoming an outstanding plotter software.

Gerhard
Old 02-01-2014, 12:35   #204

Boat: Everything that has a sail and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
I suggest to bring OpenCPN to the Apple App-Store when the S-63 Plug-In is ready and so OpenCPN is becoming an outstanding plotter software.

Gerhard
It's open source, don't know if apple plays nice with that...
jeroenimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 13:11   #205

On the contrary to MS Apple offers a lot of free software in their App-Store. Even the OS Mavericks is for free.

Gerhard
Old 02-01-2014, 13:16   #206

Boat: Everything that has a sail and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
On the contrary to MS Apple offers a lot of free software in their App-Store. Even the OS Mavericks is for free.

Gerhard
Yes, it's free to install, it's for sure not OpenSource!!!!
I'm not complaining about the App Store, but a few more OS projects have been in the App store and have been pulled by request of the authors of the software because it's not GPL compliant ....
jeroenimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 14:49   #207

Let's be clear: OS X has an open-source kernel (Darwin) with Apple proprietary software added. Writing kernel extensions is supported. In this case the proprietary driver is from the manufacturer of the integrated circuit (Prolific), not Apple. Prolific has not showered themselves in glory with the quality of their Mac software drivers. The FOSS movement developed open source drivers for Linux in order to keep it FOSS with no proprietary software, and I think that is the origin of this driver. In my experience FOSS is generally superior quality to proprietary drivers, at least on the Mac. Too often hardware companies hire "consultants" to write Mac drivers and the results are often flawed. And often Apple incorporates FOSS software in their offerings, for instance the X-11 package; if you want the best X-11 software you need to get X-Quartz - Apple incorporates their work but after a delay.

I see no reason not to use the FOSS driver. It might well be the best solution; I haven't tried it so can't say.

And don't get me started on the App Store...

Greg
Old 03-01-2014, 06:56   #208

just to let you know.. got it installed and charts in.. working ok. The old system use to have a connection tween the airmail weather program and opencpn would take wind and seas and overlay over the charts. but now with a Mac airmail does not work unless I start up as a PC. Not sure I want to do that

pa
rumtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:07   #209

Boat: Najad 520 - Barbara Ann

I recently updated to OSx 10.9 (Mavericks). Prior to that, Open Cpn worked well on my Mac Book Pro. I've downloaded both the new 3.22 release and the Beta release of OpenCpn and neither works correctly with the new 10.9. The CM93 version 2 maps won't load and the GPS puck (BU-353) won't interface. I know the GPS is working correctly, since I'm using a small GPS app to display GPS data and satellite info. Any ideas?
barbara ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 14:05   #210

If you update OS X you do not need to install the apps again. They are still there as before.

Gerhard