Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 03:39   #46

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: OpenCPN for Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
Is it possible please to create a new flyspray group for Mac OS X bugs only?
Most of the found bugs in the Mac OS X version related not to Windows or Linux.

There is a SourceForge forum https://sourceforge.net/projects/ope...3/index/page/1 but this becomes not usable anymore because of the many found bugs.

Gerhard
All bug reports can already be labeled with the operating system, including Mac, if necessary. I don't think it is necessary to have operating system specific groups, at least not yet.

You guys are doing a very good job of getting the Mac build up to speed. Once the necessary changes to the code base to accommodate
Mac are merged, all operating system should be "equal" as far as OpenCPN is concerned. This forum and the Source Forge Forum seems to serve well in finding those changes.

"netsurfer" is the admin of Flyspray, send him a PM if you like.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:58   #47

malcolmh,

thanks for the information. i read the other posts on this thread before posting and could not find any hint about the object query. so i suspected some residue from 1.3 like font problems that may have caused it, since i had problems between version with 1.3.x under Windows that could be solved by cleaning up & reinstalling.

great work, nevertheless!

@Gerhard: i knew it was beta. a link to a list of the known major caveats in the download area would be good, though!
hb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 14:58   #48

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Malcomh,Well, so far this versions seems pretty stable. I mostly use it to browse charts, but I have also done some real time navigating and it works for me.

I've had not trouble making routes, waypoints and using the measure feature. I am using NOAA raster charts exclusively.

Would love to know when the tides and currents will be available.

Doug

ps: running snow leopard on a MacBook Pro
Old 03-06-2011, 07:00   #49

Hi,
I'm using opencpn on a macbook with snow leopard now. Current version crashes on different situations, but I've one more severe bug to report:
I need it to communicate with gpsd over network, unfortunately this is not working and I get the message that libgps.so is not found. Can you fix this?
libgps.dylib is installed

Next question: Where can I get the current OSX-Sources - I would like to give it a try...

Thanks for your help...

++Luke
luke austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:24   #50

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Hi luke,

see you have found your way to the forum here, too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke austria View Post
Next question: Where can I get the current OSX-Sources - I would like to give it a try...
Have a look at Download OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Gunther
Old 03-06-2011, 10:24   #51

I downloaded the source and followed the instructions.

I'm new to XCode and it's years since I developed or compiled anything!

I get a bunch of fatal errors related to Malcolm's directory structure. Can't create /users/malcolm...... etc.

I've changed everything I can see in the various preferences to direct output to my own user directories.. Guess I'm missing something fundamental in the setup. Any pointers?

Chris
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:47   #52

Boat: Forgus 31
Send a message via Skype™ to balp

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke austria View Post

Thanks for your help...

++Luke

MacOS patches live on github,

https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/tree/macosx
balp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:58   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post

I've changed everything I can see in the various preferences to direct output to my own user directories.. Guess I'm missing something fundamental in the setup. Any pointers?

Chris
Had the same Problem. Check all project and build settings and set proper filepath... finaly 2.3.1 compiled, i'll try cuttend Version this night...
Old 03-06-2011, 13:22   #54

hmmm... made a quick glance at the github tree, but this doesn't look like the 2.3.1 XCode project which is documented in "how to build on osx". As I'm new to Mac development (and not really up to date with C and C++) I don't know what to do with this source - is this a XCode project at all?

All I need is to get a fix for the libgps.so <-> libgps.dylib problem. Anyony out there who can help?

++Luke
Old 03-06-2011, 15:08   #55
Marine Service Provider

Luke...

There are two extant models for Mac development, in the process of being merged.

1. 2.3.1 is based on Carbon API, wxWidgets 2.8, and is considered deprecated.

2. Modern OpenCPN work (2.4.xxx) on github is based on an unreleased version of wxWidgets 2.9, and the Cocoa API. This is the preferred future direction.

I am just now coming up to speed on Mac build of OpenCPN, and will try to update this thread as I learn more. I probably sound like I know what I am talking about. Don't be fooled....

I would not invest too much energy in learning how to build the Carbon/2.3.1 release.
That said, hack away, and let us know what you learn.

Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 16:05   #56

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

FWIW (as Mac users seem few and far between in France)
Someone on French forum HetO has just reported tonight he is pleased with the OpenCPN-2.2.823 release (Macmini 1,66 GHz Intel Core Duo running Snow Leopard)
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 16:17   #57
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

wxWidgets version 2.9 for Mac has numerous issues. We have spent a few months working together with its maintainer to resolve some of these (his work is definitely appreciated) but many more remain. FWIW I don't think wxWidgets 2.9 for Mac will be production-ready anytime soon.

That said, there are very few differences in terms of user software between wxWidgets 2.8 and 2.9 for Mac (or otherwise). What differences are there, can be resolved relatively easily. So, unless you guys are doing something extremely unusual, 2.8 or 2.9 should not matter a whole lot.

There is also little advantage to being Cocoa application when using wxWidgets - it's almost invisible to users, the only major differences I've found so far were both not great:
- change in the way floating frames are handled (in that Cocoa version no longer has this concept per se)
- different and poorly operating "full screen" mode (not usable, so not really an issue)
Old 03-06-2011, 18:47   #58
Marine Service Provider

brak...

Good points all.

Our main consideration is managing developer resources, both now and into wxWidgets 3.0 territory.

As we move ahead short term, we may indeed find the pragmatic approach is to leave Cocoa to the brave-hearted wx guys until it is ready.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 19:16   #59
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

The base wxWidgets API is fairly stable (and by "base" I mean anything that existed more or less up until 2.8). They add and modify new things all the time, and development is pretty fluid - so my own approach is to stick with "old" features for as long as possible, unless there is an overriding need to use something else.

Over time, as new features and APIs mature, they naturally fall into stable category - and then you get to use them. So far my experience with wxWidgets was that as long as you don't touch the "bleeding edge" and stick to a few well tested recipes and core functionality - it "just works".
Old 04-06-2011, 15:26   #60

Played around for some hours now, with almost no good news:

1) libgps had some API Changes: gps_poll is renamed to gps_read, and gps_set_raw_hook seems to be removed at all.
2) gps_read, gps_waiting and gps_stream couldn't be found by dlsym. dlerror() returned "symbol not found". Perhaps I've to recompile gpsd?

Good News is, that replacing "libgps.so" with "libgps.dylib" in nmea.cpp works fine on Mac - at least the libary is found by dlopen() now.

btw: I did this all using the 2.3.1 Mac release, no idea how to bring the current git release into the XCode project (I use to work on Windows using Eclipse and Java - so I'm pretty confused about all the new stuff...)

If anyone has a working (compiling) XCode project using 2.4.xxx codes, I would be happy getting a copy of it.

++Luke