Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2024, 18:27   #1921

Boat: Najad 34
Re: OpenCPN General

Bruce..
Very good news! Persistence wins.
Thank you for your commitment.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2024, 23:10   #1922

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbalan View Post
Success at Google Play!
Hi All,
Our efforts with emails and messages have paid off. Only the official version of OpenCPN is now available at the Google Play store.
Sigh of relief.
Cheers,
Bruce
Wouahhhh .... Hourahhhhhhh ...... Bravo ......

Does anyone know what happened to this ?

Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2024, 02:25   #1923

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbalan View Post
Success at Google Play!

Hi All,
Our efforts with emails and messages have paid off. Only the official version of OpenCPN is now available at the Google Play store.

Sigh of relief.
Cheers,
Bruce

Thanks Bruce. That is great news.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 12:20   #1924

Boat: Feltz, One Off, 40 ft

Hi.

I just set up an OpenCPN dev environment on my new macbook. Though I run into issues building or installing plugins locally. Most likely I am doing something wrong, or I miss a setting or so. Some help would be appreciated.

In short these are the steps I did, for example with shipdriver_pi:

Clone sources
cd ~/sources
git clone https://github.com/rasbats/shipdriver_pi.git

Build using circleci-build script
cd ~/sources/shipdriver_pi
rm -rf build-osx
mkdir build-osx
ci/circleci-build-macos.sh

Create the tarball
cd build-osx
make tarball

The tarball is generated properly ShipDriver-3.3.4+2406030912.bf214e0_darwin-wx32-10-arm64-x86_64.tar.gz holding 535.692 bytes

Via the Plugin Manager I can import this file as well. Though ... when I then try to update the plugin, errors are encountered.

In opencpn.log I see the following:

17:09:00.347 ERROR dlunix.cpp:120 Failed to load shared library '/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenCPN/Contents/PlugIns/libShipDriver_pi.dylib': dlopen(/Users/username/Library/Application Support/OpenCPN/Contents/PlugIns/libShipDriver_pi.dylib, 0x0002): symbol not found in flat namespace '_wxTheAssertHandler'

I encounter the same error for other plugins (eg. tidefinder_pi). I furthermore notice that the .dylib file that has been generated locally is much bigger than the one that comes via de plugin catalog (1.4Mb vs 724kB)

Hopefully someone has a clue on how to proceed with this .... [I already read the manuals, and the readme's]
wernertoonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 16:49   #1925

Boat: Phantom 19

Looks like you are probably building the plugin against different wxWidgets version than the main application.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 23:11   #1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Looks like you are probably building the plugin against different wxWidgets version than the main application.

Thx @nohal. Appreciated.. I am building the plugins with wxWidgets 3.2.5, the one that installs via brew. I will see if I can find what version the main application used then, try to install that and give it another go.
Old 04-06-2024, 03:38   #1927

The problem is not the version number, but which set of libraries. Both the main application and the plugin must be built against the same, either both against Homebrew or both against the dependency bundle used by our CI builds. Also of course the build parameters must be somewhat sane (similar deployment target, both builds using the same architecture etc.)

This all comes naturally if you build both the application and the plugin locally against Homebrew and do not set any configuration at all, then the stuff simply works together. Or at least it should and does for me.

All the production CI builds are then done against the same prebuilt set of dependencies (because they need to support as old a version of macOS as possible and produce universal binaries for both AMD64 and ARM64), but you do not need that for your local development.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:18   #1928

Thx again. Very much appreciated. I wish I can say the same one day, that it all comes naturally.

My goal is to create a new plugin. For that I copied the shipdriver_pi sources and created the tarball. I cannot get that to work in the installed OpenCPN 5.8.4 (latest).

It is indeed very likely my local machine has other libraries / wxWidgets versions etc. than the pre-build 5.8.4. So best might be then to see if I can build OpenCPN myself on this machine, get that to work, and then do the same for the plugin. I noticed that results in 5.8.9, since I checked out the latest versions. Installing the package failed ('Cannot be installed on this computer') just now. Will see what else I can try to get this to work.

, be able to build and install that properly, and from there on start making the changes.

I have to tackle the issues that I run into, since otherwise I won't be able to run / test the new plugin.

Now, ... I have just the latest stable OpenCPN installed (5.8.4). That doesn't match the newly build plugin. Now what would be wise to do?

1. Build OpenCPN myself and install that
Old 04-06-2024, 05:28   #1929

Quote:
I cannot get that to work in the installed OpenCPN 5.8.4 (latest).
That has absolutely no chance to work, 5.8.4 is Intel-only and you are trying to load an ARM plugin library to it. Can't work.

Your local ARM builds may be usable with the universal binaries from https://cloudsmith.io/~david-registe...able/packages/
Old 04-06-2024, 06:43   #1930

Quote:
Your local ARM builds may be usable with the universal binaries from https://cloudsmith.io/~david-registe...able/packages/
I downloaded one of the universal packages, ran that, installed the plugins I compiled locally but that resulted in the same error. So I reckon that won't lead to a solution.

Quote:
The problem is not the version number, but which set of libraries. Both the main application and the plugin must be built against the same, either both against Homebrew or both against the dependency bundle used by our CI builds. Also of course the build parameters must be somewhat sane (similar deployment target, both builds using the same architecture etc.)
I will see if I can get that done. First by building O against Homebrew, and the plugins as well.

For the other option (building against the dependency bundle that is used by the CI builds), where can I download that bundle?
Old 17-06-2024, 15:44   #1931

Boat: Beneteau 430

Hi, Help needed, long term user of Open CPN (Using current version) on a windows laptop now running windows 11, I updated my laptop six months ago.
CPN has started to crash every time I started the logbook and the only way I could to get it to work was to delete CPN and reinstall but starting the logbook would still cause a crash and loss of data. I have been using CPN without logbook for a few weeks, I still get crashes but have been able to restart up till now now the program just crashes on startup. I have tried editing the the config file but it did not help
I am not sure if the problem is with the laptop or software installation.
I am thinking if I can completely delete Open CPN and start fresh this could point me to my problem , but my lack of computer skills gets me lost quickly.
Is there any step by step instructions to remove Open CPN completely. or another to solve my problem
marathon lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 20:19   #1932

Hi,
I am a long term user of OCPN. It is a wonderfull tool.
I would like to suggest an idea of new feature : an auto pilot dashboard. Because we have all experiment issue with our autopilot display. Currently, we can create a dashboard with compas heading and rudder angle but no more. A real autopilot dashboard should also display heading set point and autopilot mode : auto or standby. Of course, having control of the autopilot may be more complicated but it should be a great progress.
Thank you for reply.
Regards, JF.
Aqua_vitae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 02:30   #1933

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua_vitae View Post
Hi,
I am a long term user of OCPN. It is a wonderfull tool.
I would like to suggest an idea of new feature : an auto pilot dashboard. Because we have all experiment issue with our autopilot display. Currently, we can create a dashboard with compas heading and rudder angle but no more. A real autopilot dashboard should also display heading set point and autopilot mode : auto or standby. Of course, having control of the autopilot may be more complicated but it should be a great progress.
Thank you for reply.
Regards, JF.
What autopilot models would you like supported ? If it is a Raymarine Evolution, then you might be interested in Douwe's Autotrack Raymarine plugin which does allow you to engage and control the autopilot.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2024, 15:00   #1934

I just installed ubuntu 24.04 LTS on a laptop and I discovered there was no PPA for OpenCPN.

So I cheated a bit and went to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ and I changed the file 'opencpn-ubuntu-opencpn-noble.sources' to be 'opencpn-ubuntu-opencpn-jammy.sources'

This time it worked (complaining a bit about weak encryption) and openCPN insalled ok.

Cheers!
jjjacq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2024, 05:37   #1935

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjacq View Post
I just installed ubuntu 24.04 LTS on a laptop and I discovered there was no PPA for OpenCPN.

So I cheated a bit and went to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ and I changed the file 'opencpn-ubuntu-opencpn-noble.sources' to be 'opencpn-ubuntu-opencpn-jammy.sources'

This time it worked (complaining a bit about weak encryption) and openCPN insalled ok.

Cheers!

Please be aware that cheating like this might make both the overall system and OpenCPN unstable and unsupported. Mixing versions this way just isn't a good idea.

The correct way to install 5.8.4 on 24.04 Noble is to use Flatpak, this is fully supported. Upcoming version 5.10 currently in beta testing will have also .deb packages available for 24.04.
leamas is offline   Reply With Quote