Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2013, 16:06   #466

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch
Re: OpenCPN General

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepeter1058 View Post
yes I have
Basically you first download and install the oorex interpreter as described in the Readme help file.

Uncompress the GE2KAP Program into a folder anywhere on the computer but not in the Program Files. I use the desktop.

Copy from that folder the file 'ge2kap_pi.dll and paste it into the Plugins folder of OpenCPN.

Using the Plugins tab under 'Options' (spanner icon) in OpenCPN enable the ge2kap plugin.

You will need to create a folder on the computer (I use C:\Charts GE2KAP) as the place to put the charts you create. When satisfied then move the charts to a permanent location to be linked to the OpenCPN program.

This is just a synopsis of what to do ... fully explained in the Readme help file.

HTH, Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:35   #467

Hello,

I'll use openCPN on a 7" screen (800x480 max resolution), do you think openCPN is compatible with this resolution?

Thanks,
zodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 20:41   #468
Marine Service Provider

zodd...

Its free to try. Only you can decide if you like it.

Let us know what you find....

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:35   #469

The problem is that I don't have the panel PC yet and I need to know if openCPN will be displayed properly with this resolution before buying the panel PC. I mean if it can be displayed technicaly ..
Old 02-07-2013, 07:39   #470

Boat: Phantom 19

Zodd...
Run it on a normal computer and make the window 800x480 to see for yourself... The resolution is sure at the lower limit of usability if not bellow it.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:42   #471

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodd View Post
Hello,

I'll use openCPN on a 7" screen (800x480 max resolution), do you think openCPN is compatible with this resolution?

Thanks,
Why not use a better resolution?

On Win you may find it difficult to find a graphic card that outputs 480 so I assume you are on Lin.

PS We use something like 1200x600 on 7'' here (a cheapo android tablet).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:08   #472

It's because I can't use a tablet. I have to use only a little panelPC, and all 7" panel PC are usualy 800*480. And yes I will have linux on it . So I'll try with virtual box to simulate a 800*480 resolution screen.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:02   #473

Boat: Dufour 35

There is a handy trick to quickly get more info on AIS targets, that works on Linux, as long as you have an Internet connection. Click on an AIS target to get the "AIS Target Query" Dialog.
"Paint" the MMSI number
Click image for larger version

Name:	mmsi.png
Views:	194
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	63582
This is how easy it is to copy something in Linux. To paste, just middle-click on your mouse. If you only have two buttons, click both at the same time.
Now use your favorite search engine, and search for MMSI + middleclick on the mouse -> MMSI 246521000. The first link probably takes you to marinetraffic.com.
Code:
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?MMSI=246521000

This may work on Mac as well. Can anyone confirm this ?

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:29   #474

Boat: 51' pilot house cutter, aluminum

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks,
I am using OpenCPN 3.2.2 on an ASUS 7" netbook and it works fine with a few restrictions. The status bar at the bottom of the screen displays a number of fields (4 or 5)which include your GPS coordinates if you are connected to one, the coordinates of your cursor and other info. Unfortunately those fields are too small to read on a 600 x 480 display. However all the other functions work fine.

Good Sailing
captain38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 17:34   #475

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks,
As per the post above.

Confirmed runs at 640 x 480 on my machine too. Functions work fine, screen looks smallish but otherwise OK.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 17:51   #476

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks,
Yes if you have young eyes

You can change the font in the Status Bar to larger sizes. Options/User Interface is the place.

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 12:58   #477

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Hi OpenCPN'ers a small problem I have been battling with.
When I am following a route and autopilot is engaged the waypoint arrival is always too soon. Its Raymarine, and in track mode the WPTARR occurs a few cables before the waypoint. If we respond immediately the turn occurs too soon, leaving a large Xtrack, which the pilot tries to zero before the next waypoint, but sometimes its too close, and then we are off to the next waypoint.

IS there a setting in the INI that I can delay the nmea wptadv instruction?

We have tried changing planned speed in the route. The error is huge when doing 2 knots or less, and obviously reduces the faster we go because of overshoot, If we are doing 8 knots its nearly correct but still too early. (never too late)

Over....
Old 15-07-2013, 14:37   #478

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
Hi OpenCPN'ers a small problem I have been battling with.
When I am following a route and autopilot is engaged the waypoint arrival is always too soon. Its Raymarine, and in track mode the WPTARR occurs a few cables before the waypoint. If we respond immediately the turn occurs too soon, leaving a large Xtrack, which the pilot tries to zero before the next waypoint, but sometimes its too close, and then we are off to the next waypoint.

IS there a setting in the INI that I can delay the nmea wptadv instruction?

We have tried changing planned speed in the route. The error is huge when doing 2 knots or less, and obviously reduces the faster we go because of overshoot, If we are doing 8 knots its nearly correct but still too early. (never too late)

Over....
It's supposed to work this way, reading the wiki.

Quote:
OpenCPN automatically shifts to the next waypoint in the route using an arrival radius of 0.05 miles (= 92.6 m). This is all automatic and not user configurable or "signal-able".
More here -> Marks and Routes | Official OpenCPN Homepage .

(If you are up to compiling yourself, it's easy to change on line 70 in Route.cpp.)

Your experience indicates that it happens a bit earlier than intended?

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 14:51   #479

May we suggest to make it adjustable to one suited!
Regards
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 17:22   #480

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Hello Cagney and thanks. Just judging from experience, I would say that .05 is too far away. .02 feels right, that's about 36m. The thing is, that if the arrival radius is too small, you might miss it completely. You would have to have a routine built in to say "on arrival radius .02 NM, advance waypoint, and if .02 never attained, advance waypoint on DTW increasing" ie overshoot.

Its about 80 waypoints now that I have tested this on. We leave the autopilot chirping to accept an advance almost so long that it gives up (5 seconds) and press accept at the last second, then the boat turns to the new heading and we are far from the actual waypoint.

Down here in the San Blas islands of Panama, this can park you nicely on a reef, so of course we are there to take over manually and do.

When I create the route on O, and then manually transfer the waypoints to the Ray chartplotter/sounder, and let it "drive" the boat, it works perfectly, on .02NM radius.

Perhaps the next beta should have that?
Perhaps the next beta should have that as an INI value?

I would be happy to test it...

Thanks again for your comments.