Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2013, 17:27   #481

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: OpenCPN General

Perhaps it will, perhaps not, but some of the betas sure will if we nerds prone to forget what we read on the forums find it in the flyspray tracker

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 09:43   #482

Boat: Whitby 42

I am trying to connect an SR161 AIS receiver to OpenCPN running under Linux Mint. The SR161 is a serial device and therefore needs a serial to USB converter. So far, I have been unable to determine the AIS Data Port setting to get Linux to connect to the unit. Anybody out there have such a setup?
arell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 09:53   #483

arell...
Plug it in, run
Code:
dmesg
and if you won't figure it out, post the end of it's output here.

Pavel
Old 20-08-2013, 16:48   #484

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

I use OCN for planning purposes only. I've found it fails at the most inopportune times. My charts especially get funky results. I sometimes get depth in the ocean but not in bays. Doesn't auto follow all the time. Loses GPS signal and AIS targets. I tried to use it down the Pacific coast as a test, but won't do that again. Just bought a furuno chart plotter. Nice software for the slip or at anchor.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 17:39   #485

Gary...
I sailed a few thousand miles using OpenCPN as a primary underway navigation tool and my experience is different, but as yours, also subjective...

Pavel
Old 21-08-2013, 08:39   #486

Boat: Whitby 42

nohal,
I appreciate the fact that you are trying to help me, and hope you will continue to suffer my limited Linux knowledge.
I checked out dmesg, and can see the entries when my various units are attached and where. It is my understanding then, that if I had a second converter (ttyUSB1) I could then put /dev/ttyUSB1 in the AIS Data Port field of the tool box, and the unit would be recognized. Is this true?

I understand that I will need 2 serial to usb converters in order to have both my GPS and my AIS functioning at the same time, but I want to test the AIS without getting a second converter.
arell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 08:56   #487

arell...
First of all upgrade to 3.2.2, much more juice there
Then set up an input connection to the right tty at 38400 bauds (Data Connections | Official OpenCPN Homepage), tick the "Show NMEA Debug Window" checkbox, click on OK and observe. I of course suppose there are some AIS targets your receiver can "hear"...

Pavel
Old 21-08-2013, 09:21   #488

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshephe View Post
I use OCN for planning purposes only. I've found it fails at the most inopportune times. My charts especially get funky results. I sometimes get depth in the ocean but not in bays.
This is probably due to settings for vector charts. If you use
*Quilting
*Full Screen Quilting
*Reduced Details at Small Scale.
it could have the effect you describe. To fully use and understand vector charts the documentation is your friend.
Quote:
Doesn't auto follow all the time.
As soon as you move the chart with the cursor, or with the arrow keys, you loose auto following. This also happen with zooming, if "Zoom to Cursor" is used. Just click "Auto Follow", or hit F2, again.
Quote:
Loses GPS signal and AIS targets.
If you are using OpenCPN version 3.2.2, and definitely think that this relates to a problem with OpenCPN, please give us all the available details. We are eager to solve all existing bugs.
Quote:
I tried to use it down the Pacific coast as a test, but won't do that again. Just bought a furuno chart plotter. Nice software for the slip or at anchor.
I hope you can find a program that you are comfortable with.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 10:11   #489
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshephe View Post
I use OCN for planning purposes only. I've found it fails at the most inopportune times. My charts especially get funky results. I sometimes get depth in the ocean but not in bays. Doesn't auto follow all the time. Loses GPS signal and AIS targets. I tried to use it down the Pacific coast as a test, but won't do that again. Just bought a furuno chart plotter. Nice software for the slip or at anchor.
I have used it as my only plotter for half the world and love it. Its very robust and I find it fairly easy to use.

If confidence is lost in something then you would be silly to keep using it even in a planning or bath tub manner so I think you are right to move to another platform.

As for me I will sing the praises of OpenCpn because in about 20,000 nms is been my partner. Here's to the next 20,000

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 16:34   #490

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Hey guys, Tracker - flyspray has not been working for me for several days.
When I go to the host website http://southbaynetwork.com/
Hosting and bandwidth for OpenCPN.org is generously donated by SouthBay Network
I get:
Bad Request (Invalid Hostname)

It is indeed generous, but it would be nice if we could contact someone to get that fixed. At one point earlier I was able to send and email and get the entire server rebooted. Maybe flyspray - Tracker is a separate service. I no longer have his email or access to it. I wonder if we should know more about who is providing the service so we can contact them?

What is the process? How do we get this fixed?
Who is backing up the opencpn.org website and is it accessible to Pavel and Dave?

rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 16:41   #491

Rick...
OpenCPN::Tracker All Projects: Tasklist is working just fine for me...
In case of problems just let me or Dave know.

Pavel
Old 21-08-2013, 17:17   #492

That's weird, it just opened, after lots of thinking and spinning. Thanks. I guess we contact you. Maybe Southbay Networks should fix the link?
Old 22-08-2013, 00:32   #493

Nohal - This link works OpenCPN::Tracker All Projects: Tasklist

This link OpenCPN::Tracker All Projects: Tasklist does not! This link is the one used for Tracker here OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage on the opencpn.org opening page.
Old 22-08-2013, 05:06   #494

The Tracker link on the right is OpenCPN::Tracker All Projects: Tasklist ...opencpn.org/flyspray/ and it fails. Needs to be ....opencpn.org/ocpn/flyspray/
Old 31-08-2013, 07:01   #495

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Gary...
I sailed a few thousand miles using OpenCPN as a primary underway navigation tool and my experience is different, but as yours, also subjective...

Pavel
Just got done with my cruise down the coast. I would like to continue this discussion because I was really hoping to make this wrk. Is it my hardware?

samsung r540 laptop
with i3 cpu speed
2.53 ghz
64bit os
win7 home premium sp1

I use an AIS receiver from ACR
gps is a puck forget the brand but it was recommended here

several times in bad weather at night the gps couldn't find satellites. one specifically bad time off Bodega Bay. I won't go into in detail but I couldn't depend on it. My garmin GPS found them and worked, but not the USB connected one. The Garmin is a chartplotter, but not in the modern sense. its the 152 model. yu cn put n waypnts it will direct you to them but doesn't have maps to speak of. It, radar, compass and paper charts were what I mostly depended on.

I had thought about using a Tablet at the helm using a router to get to my laptop running OCN, but couldn't get it working how I wanted, so I used another chartplotter software.

I know a lot of hard work has gone on with this software(OCN), I haven't given up hope, but for now with my experience, am still in beta testing with it and will continue to use it as my backup and planner.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote